Found in 451 Collections and/or Records:
The bulk of the collection consists of published materials from the 1980s describing the former Jewish community in Krefeld and its fate during the Holocaust. Also included are genealogical tables of the extended Neuberg family.
Financial, business, and personal papers of the Eltzbacher family and related families, including correspondence, architectural plans, financial ledgers, wills and testaments, clippings, and eulogies; of particular interest is the business correspondence of Count Aloys zu Kaunitz-Rietberg with the banker Jacob Loeb Eltzbacher (1758-1825), who was based in Neuenkirchen, Westphalia, along with supporting documents and records; material on the career of the lawyer Carl Eltzbacher (1854-1936), including clippings on his candidacy to the Cologne city council in 1903 and correspondence, including a letter from Konrad Adenauer.
The first part of the collection (Series 1 = Personal documents) contains personal and official documents such as certificates, student and fraternity papers, visas, and affidavits. Furthermore, the collection includes the Spanish-American correspondence concerning the attempt to retrieve the Morgenthaus’ belongings from Spain. (The Morgenthaus lived in Spain from 1935 to 1937 and they left Spain at the beginning of the civil war.) The second part of the collection (Series 2 = Correspondence) consists of personal and official correspondence, including letters by family, friends and colleagues to Hans or Irma Morgenthau, as well as letters by the Morgenthaus themselves.
Material collected by Wandel for his biography of Hans Schaeffer, including recollections of Schaeffer by contemporaries and associates; clippings, reviews concerning Schaeffer and his work; photocopies of excerpts from Schaeffer's diaries and of reports and memoranda he wrote.
The Hebrew Hammer was a 2003 movie written and directed by Jonathan Kesselman and starring Adam Goldberg as the Hebrew Hammer. The collection contains production notes, copies of the set design, and several props from the movie.
The records of the Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society, now known as HIAS, comprise much of the history of HIAS through the second half of the 20th century, primarily through the files created by leadership based in the New York headquarters. Since the 1880s HIAS has worked with immigrants and refugees to help them emigrate legally from their home countries to safe resettlement in the United States and elsewhere, and they continue this work today. The records focus on files of the Executive Directors, including James P. Rice, Gaynor I. Jacobson and Karl D. Zukerman, and other material created by executive staff and by the Board of Directors. Also of importance is the work of the HIAS United States Operations Department in the New York office, handling the everyday details of immigration documentation, migration issues and resettlement activities in connection with communities throughout the United States, and in coordination with HIAS staff in overseas offices and the other departments in New York and Washington, D.C. In addition, more than 1100 files of legacy photographs have been digitized as part of this project and made accessible online.
Correspondence from family members to Heinz Katzenstein in Gelsenkirchen and New York, 1933; travel and emigration documents, 1933-1939, including correspondence with freight forwarders and menues of S.S. Bremen; memorabilia related to 25th anniversary of Katzenstein & Co in Gelsenkirchen, 1928; correspondence with and clippings and other information about former classmates; correspondence regarding social security claims in Germany, 1981; photographs.
The collection contains Henry Politzer’s Questionnaire I + II of the Austrian Heritage Collection at the Leo Baeck Institute. Also included are original documents pertaining to his father’s emigration from Austria in 1941.
The bulk of the collection consists of musical scores and sheet music, both handwritten by Henry Shotland and printed works he collected. In addition, there is biographical collection compiled by Marianne Shotland and a picture of cantor Leo Kartschmaroff.
This collection contains a congratulatory letter honoring Dr. Friedrich Wilhelm Foerster on his 90th birthday in Folder 1; the letter is signed by German Jewish academics in Israel. Folder 2 contains a list of individual and organizational members of the Organizing Committee for the Expansion of the Jewish Agency in Germany, as of June 24, 1929 (photocopy). Folder 3 contains an obituary for Henry Schwarzschild, New York Times, June 4, 1996. Folder 4 contains a post card from Dorothee Andres to Henry Schwarzschild, and a program for Brown's Lake Resort, Burlington, Wisconsin.
A group photograph of ‘Verband der jüdischen Jugendvereine Deutschlands‘ including Martin Buber and his portrait photography, Munich in June 1930, have been removed to the LBI Photograph Collection.
The Herbert Seeliger collection contains manuscripts, correspondence, photographs and clippings pertaining to Berlin’s Jewish community life. A large part documents Seeliger’s work on an extensive history of the Jews in Berlin.
The collection consists of the records of the Herman Muehlstein Foundation from 1947 to 2007. The Herman Muehlstein Foundation was a philanthropic organization that gave generously to educational institutes and agencies that supported Herman Muehlstein’s mission to improve the life and quality of young men and women in need of financial assistance. The Herman Muehlstein Foundation was established in 1947 and closed in 2005. The collection consists of correspondence, meeting minutes, legal papers, and grant proposals.
The collection consists of copies of official documents; publications; correspondence with Kartell-Convent fraternity brothers; and a report about Berlak’s internment as an enemy alien in the English camp of Onchan on the Isle of Man.
The bulk of the collection contains vital records, professional papers, correspondence and photographs pertaining to the dentist Rudold Seegall and to the dental nurse and secretary Herta Marcuse during their common life in England.
The collection consists of copies of correspondence on the placement of German refugees from the office of High Commissioner James G. McDonald with numerous refugee-aid organizations and prominent individuals as well as minutes of commission meetings, press releases, reports of commission subcommittees dealing with finances, passports, travel regulations and special problems of emigration by professionals.