Found in 5 Collections and/or Records:
The collection consists of copied materials pertaining to institutes of higher Jewish learning.
Various materials from and about the Jewish Theological Seminary in Breslau, including manuscripts, publications and photographs.
The papers contain: correspondence with Yiddish writers and scholars, 1922-1955, including Ben Zion Dinur, Leib Kvitko, Jacob Lestschinsky, Abraham Liessin, Shmuel Niger, Joseph Opatoshu. Reports from yeshivot in Poland, Hungary, Czechoslovakia, Romania, Canada, U.S. to Haffkine Foundation for Yeshivot, 1930s. Wischnitzer's notes for a book on yeshivot.
The Rabbi Robert L. Lehman Collection focuses on the development of a rabbi and of his role leading his congregations. The collection includes copious sermons, substantial correspondence, articles, newspaper clippings, notes, congregational and conference publications, photographs, diplomas, and a few objects.
The Rabbinical School and Teachers’ Institute in Vilna was one of two Jewish state schools established in the Russian Empire in 1847 to train state appointed (kazënnye) rabbis and teachers for Jewish elementary state schools in the Pale of Settlement. The purpose of these schools was to undermine and replace the traditional kheder system of education. The other such school was in Zhitomir. The state schools were unpopular because of their assimilationist policies. The Vilna Rabbinical School was closed in 1873, but the Teachers' Institute remained in existence until 1914