Found in 7 Collections and/or Records:
The Hirsch Family Collection, Mergentheim holds the papers of Abraham Hirsch, his children and one grandson. The collection consists of various official, business and personal documents as well as four folders of personal correspondence, including the courtship letters of Jakob Abraham and Esther Hirsch.
Consists of the papers of members of the Mordecai family. Includes those of: Moses Mordecai (1707-1781), a bill of exchange (1771), and letters of administration signed by Elizabeth Mordecai (1744-1804), Isaac Moses, and Barnard Gratz, and inventory of his estate, and the accounts of his administratrix (1781-1782); Jacob Mordecai (1762-1838), a discourse delivered at the consecration of Congregation Beth Shalome (1822), and a notebook manuscript "The Truth of Divine Revelation"; George Washington Mordecai (1801-1871), a stock certificate signed by him as president of the Bank of North Carolina (1863); Alfred Mordecai (1804-1887), four letters on military matters (1838-1859); Alfred Mordecai, Jr. (1840-1920), a commission as captain in the Ordnance Department, signed by President Abraham Lincoln (1864), and a letter of condolence (1870); Rosa Mordecai (1839-1936), three letters to Rosa Mordecai concerning Rebecca Gratz, who apparently served as the model for the Rebecca in Sir Walter Scott's Ivanhoe (1898-1905); Laura Mordecai (1837-1927), letters to her sister, Miriam, and brother, Alfred, about the Chicago World's Fair (1892-1893); and Miriam Mordecai (1843-1923), letters to her sister, Laura, about a trip to San Francisco and Seattle for the wedding of their niece (1901), and about her trip to Europe (1907). Also includes a letter of recommendation written by Winfield Scott (1786-1866) on behalf of Capt. Alfred Mordecai, who was on his way to Paris on business.
The collection comprises a portion of the records of the Jewish community of Ostrów Wielkopolski, today in west-central Poland, in the Greater Poland Voivodeship. The region was annexed by Prussia in 1793, in the Second Partition of Poland; in German the town was known as Ostrowo. The records date mainly from 1834 to 1919, with a few materials from as early as 1822. During this period the town was part of the Posen (Poznań) region of Prussia and, after 1871, of the German Empire; in 1919, it was incorporated into the Second Republic of Poland. The community numbered nearly 2,000 members in the late 19th century and declined steadily thereafter due to migration of members to larger German cities or overseas; only a small Jewish community remained during the interwar period. The records are mainly those of the Jewish communal administration, or council; a small amount of material pertains to several community voluntary organizations. Included are financial records such as budgets, balance sheets, and tax lists; communal minutes and decisions throughout the period; correspondence with the government, and, to a lesser extent, with Jewish organizations and other Jewish communities; records pertaining to community members' naturalizations, marriages, births, and synagogue seat contracts; petitions from individual community members, especially pertaining to charitable aid in the mid to late 19th century; records pertaining to communal educational and religious institutions; records on the hiring and employment of community rabbis,cantors, and other personnel, including application materials from candidates not hired; property records and mortgages; documentation of construction and renovation of communal buildings; records related to court cases, bequests, and estate and guardianship matters; and ephemera such as meeting notices and announcement fliers, as well as scattered clippings.
This is a collection of addenda to the Robitscher Family Collection (AR 25012) that further document the lives of Thomas Robitscher, his mother Magdalena Robitscher née Hahn, and his wife Anne Kelemen. Materials include personal correspondence, photographs, Thomas Robitscher’s personal papers, vital documents and other legal and official papers related to Thomas Robitscher, an inventory of his mineral collection, and correspondence regarding its donation.
This collection consists mainly of materials related to the restitution claims of the Weinberger family members who owned a group of grocery stores in Berlin from the early 1920s until its forced closure in 1936. These materials include correspondence, legal papers, inventories, and financial records. Also included are some personal papers of Adolf Weinberger as well as speeches and photographs from a memorial ceremony.