Jewish community centers
Found in 59 Collections and/or Records:
The collection holds clippings from local German newspapers and journals pertaining to the former Jewish community in Aschaffenburg, Germany. Also included are issues of the journal Spessart and a brochure, "Aschaffenburg : Vergangen, nicht verfessen – Sieben Jahrhunderte jüdische Gemeinde in Aschaffenburg, 1984“.
The AVI CHAI Collection contains a breadth of files relating to the administrative and outreach activities of the organization, from its founding in 1984 through 2019.
The AVI CHAI records stored at the AJHS relate to the foundation's activities in North America. The records relating to the AVI CHAI's activities in Israel are stored at the archives of the National Library of Israel.
The records consist of correspondence, reports, minutes, financial documents, digital files, and printed materials that chronicle AVI CHAI’s administrative communication and outreach programming. The collection consists of physical paper records (see detailed breakdown below), born-digital files (including computer files), as well as audiovisual materials such as audiocassettes, microcassettes and DVDs. There are some 35mm slides, but otherwise very few photographic prints or negatives. Of note in the collection are materials that outline the foundation’s research on, and enthusiastic support of, Jewish day schools, camps, teacher training and libraries.
Administration files include by-laws, incorporation documents, and insurance policies, among others.
Board records are comprised of meeting materials, such as minutes and agendas. They document the philosophy, direction and activities of the organization.
Communications files consist primarily the files of Deena K. Fuchs. They include media kits, graphics, working files for annual reports, and other materials.
Files related to AVI CHAI finances include investment portfolio documentation as well as quarterly and annual reports.
The core of the foundation’s history can be found in its Programs files which document the various programs initiated or supported by AVI CHAI. They include detailed files on the foundation’s loans to schools (including building programs) and to summer camps. Also included in this series are files relating to AVI CHAI communications activities, such as media kits, graphics, working files for annual reports, and other materials.
The collection contains manuscripts and other documents as well as publications pertaining to the Jewish community in Breslau.
Various decrees issued by rulers before emancipation to the Jewish communities of the towns and provinces of Alsace, Augsburg, Austria, Baden, Bamberg, Berlin, Bohemia, Brandenburg, Braunschweig, Breslau, Cassel, Cologne, Dresden, Eisenach, Frankfurt am Main, Hanau, Hanover, Helmstaedt, Hessen, Karlsruhe, Leipzig, Nassau, Nuremberg, Palatinate, Potsdam, Prussia, Rawicz, Rheinfels, Saxony, Schleswig, Schwerin, Vienna, Weinheim, Wolfenbuettel, and Wuerzburg. The decrees concern many aspects of life, including economic activity and taxation, settlement rights, and the regulation of the internal life of the Jewish communities.
The collection consists primarily of newspaper clippings and other published materials regarding various Jewish communities, topics, and personalities, all compiled by Eric Davidson. Also included is the correspondence to and from Davidson that helped to acquire these materials.
The life of Ernst Hamburger was extraordinarily rich and varied; regrettably, his literary estate does not completely document it. In his flight from Nazi Germany, Hamburger had to leave all his papers behind. With a few exceptions, the same was the case in 1940. It appears he made it a practice to periodically weed his papers. At his request, a friend went through his papers after his death and destroyed two cartons full of personal and confidential material. Consequently, the remaining matter is only a fragment of a much larger life’s work.
The collection contains family history research of the extended Fred Einstein family with genealogical tables, findings from genealogy research and correspondence related to this research. Moreover it includes articles and clippings from and by members of the Fred Einstein family and on general German-Jewish history with a focus on Baden-Wuerttemberg.
The collection consists mainly of the correspondence of Johanna Boetz, Richard Scheuer and the city of Gelnhausen about its Jewish community in general and particularly about the rededication of the local synagogue on September 25, 1986. Also included are press releases and newsletters, manuscripts such as "Das Schicksal der Juden im Main-Kinzig-Kreis, Jugendliche suchen eine Erklaerung," and clippings.
The collection contains original documents from the first half of the 19th century regarding decrees made affecting the Jewish community, found in folder 1. Folder 2 contains the programs accompanying the 1992 and 1994 award of the Hedwig-Burgheim Medaille, given in 1992 to Rabbi Henry G. Brandt, the program also includes articles commemorating the 50th anniversary of deportation. The 1994 award was given to provost Helmut Grün and the book includes documentation on rebuilding of synagogue in Giessen.
Documents, photographs, and paintings related to the Goldschmidt Schlesinger family. Material related to the Schloessinger-Wuerzburger and the Goldschmidt-Bock families. Documents related to the Jewish community in Frankfurt.
The Papers of Graenum Berger (1908-1999) document Berger's involvement with Ethiopian Jewry and his efforts to bring about their rescue from Ethiopia through his organization, the American Association for Ethiopian Jews (AAEJ). The Papers also contain materials regarding Berger's other interests-his writings, his travels throughout the world, his community affiliations, his career as a Jewish social work executive, his commitment to Jewish causes, and his commitment to Israel. Also included are personal and biographical materials from his many long-term friendships and associations; correspondence, minutes, reports, clippings, manuscripts, research materials, journal articles, photographs, and publications.
Papers of Hans Epstein (1905-1960), educator and historian. The collection consists of documents relating to Epstein's teaching activities during Nazi rule in Germany, and in New York during and after the Second World War; correspondence from before the emigration with individuals and organizations (including with Martin Buber, and Adolf Leschnitzer of the Reichsvertretung der Deutschen Juden); personal and business correspondence relating to immigration in 1938 and Epstein's work in New York; posters and postcards.
The Harry R. Rosen Community Building Consultants Records consist of photographs, research, and administrative documentation by and for the dozens of Jewish Community Centers (JCCs) in the United States, Canada, and Israel that Harry R. Rosen and his firm helped develop from the 1970s to the early 2000s.
Collection sontains the minutes of the Board of Directors (Trustees) meetings, 1972-1975; staff meetings, 1972-1973; background materials and reports pertaining to projects proposed and acted upon; annual reports; financial reports; and miscellaneous publications.
Correspondence of Ismar Elbogen with individuals, including Elias Auerbach, Julius Bab, Leo Baeck, Salo Baron, Markus Brann, Martin Buber, Umberto Cassuto, Ludwig Feuchtwanger, Ludwig Geiger, Robert Raphael Geis, Louis Ginzburg, Ignaz Goldziher, Max Gruenewald, Moritz Güdemann, Julius Guttmann, Bernhard Kahn, Mordechai Kaplan, Adolf Leschnitzer, Lily Montagu, Claude Montefiore, Adolph Oko, Paula Ollendorf, Bertha Pappenheim, Felix Perles, Koppel Pinson, Peter Reinhold, Julius Rosenwald, Cecil Roth, Caesar Seligmann, Selma Stern-Taeubler, Henrietta Szold, Hermann Vogelstein, and Stephen Wise.
The Jewish Center of Bayside Hills was founded in 1952 by young couples settling in the area after WWII. These records consist of draft constitutions, newspaper clippings, photographs, and negatives. The photographs encompass the inaugural meeting, the building dedication ceremony, an election forum, and entertainment events.
This collection contains various circulated material produced by the Jewish Community Centers Association of St. Louis, Missouri. Also included in this collection are several dozen issues of the regional run of The Journal.
This collection contains research assembled by Shulamit Magnus and consists entirely of photocopies of nineteenth century Prussian documents. Included are copies of address books for the city of Cologne as well as copies of transcriptions of Prussian government documents relating to Jews, including statistics of Jewish populations, government reports and official governmental correspondence.
Correspondence and autographs, including letters from former residents of Mannheim, as well as Rabbi Joseph Carlebach, Rabbi Jacob Hoffman, Richard Beer-Hofmann, Jacob Rosenheim, Felix Theilhaber, Fritz von Unruh, and Karl Wolfskehl.
The Lavanburg-Corner House (LCH) Fund was a philanthropic fund started in 1927 under the Lavanburg Foundation. Its mission was to support/fund agencies that dealt with troubled children and youth. The LCH Fund became fully philanthropic in 1972. The collection contains bills, by-laws, correspondence, financial statements, histories, letters, meeting minutes, memorandums, newspaper clippings, proposals, publications, and reports of the Lavanburg-Corner House Fund.
Various documents pertaining to day-to-day issues of the Jewish community in Lipperode, such as member lists; repair jobs and other issues at the cemetery and in the synagogue; and more. Also included are private business contracts of Jewish citizens in Lipperode and neighboring communities, such as Paderborn; Lippstadt; Welda (Warburg); and Rheda.
The collection contains various documents relating to the Jewish communities in Chemnitz, Dresden and Hamburg in the late 1930s, as well as biographical information and personal documents regarding Manfred Saalheimer (1907-1967), legal representative of the Dresden Jewish community, and Josef Kahn (1881-?), president of the Chemnitz Jewish community. Also included are tributes to Otto Hirsch (1885-1941), president of Reichsvertretung der Juden in Deutschland.