Queens (New York, N.Y.)
Found in 12 Collections and/or Records:
The collection contains materials pertaining to the life and work of Abraham Solomon (Salo) Weissman(n). Materials in this collection include official documents, correspondence, and photographs. Most of the materials pertain to everyday life in pre-war Germany, as well as the struggle to help people escape the country during the war.
The records of the World’s Fair American-Israel Pavilion consists of materials relating to the American-Israel Pavilion at the 1964 World’s Fair. The collection contains numerous pictures of the Pavilion, both while it was under construction and while it was in use during the Fair, as well as newspaper articles. The collection also contains a souvenir guide and press releases from the opening. The collection also details the disagreement between the American-Israeli World’s Fair Corporation and the Jordanian Pavilion regarding an inflammatory mural through correspondence, press releases, and articles from various sources.
The Ernst Heumann Family Collection documents three generations of this family, including members of the Messer, van Gelder, Oppenheim, Haas, and related families. Much of the collection centers on how the businessman Ernst Heumann and his wife Hedi née Messer established themselves in the United States and built their family, although documentation on their early lives in Germany and their emigration is also present. Although the bulk of the collection consists of the family's extensive personal correspondence, official and personal documents are also a central part of the collection. The collection contains correspondence; official documents; educational documents; family writing including poems, essays and short stories; travel memorabilia; some immigration papers; legal documents; Ernst Heumann's business correspondence and papers; family trees; and other documentation.
This collection comprises photographs and letters pertaining to the family life and studies of the historian Hans Baron and his wife Edith, as they immigrated from Nazi Germany and adjusted to the United States.
The Jewish Center of Bayside Hills was founded in 1952 by young couples settling in the area after WWII. These records consist of draft constitutions, newspaper clippings, photographs, and negatives. The photographs encompass the inaugural meeting, the building dedication ceremony, an election forum, and entertainment events.
This collection consists of two versions of a land indenture between Arthur Corbett and the Gershel brothers, Leopold and Salomon. The land is located in the town of Oyster Bay, Village of Hicksville, part of Queens County, New York.
The collection documents three generations of a Jewish American family: the Metz, Greene, and Stone families. The collection contains correspondence between family members, newspaper clippings, photographs, scrapbooks, baby, confirmation, and wedding photo albums, and ephemera.
This is a collection of the records of Rabbi Salamon Faber, Chair of the Queens Bet Din or Rabbinic Court, concerning the gittin (plural of get, Jewish religious divorces) that the Queens Bet Din granted between 1947 and 1992. These records include Rabbi’s Faber’s personal notes about the gittin, correspondence with the husband and wife and with any other concerned parties, copies of civil and religious marriage and divorce documents, divorce contracts signed by the husband, and copies of conversion certificates.
The collection contains a brief chronology of Jewish history in Queens; "Queens Jewish Heritage Trail: 39 Sites of Interest;" an outline of synagogue history in Astoria, Howard Beach, and Ozone Park; a comparison of St. John's University against Jewish history in Queens; and a press release regarding possible synagogue mergers in the borough. Many of the items in the folder were written by Jeff Gottlieb, President of the Queens Jewish Historical Society.
The Papers of Rabbi Samuel Geffen document his professional career as the rabbi of the Jewish Center of Forest Hills West in Queens. The collection is the result of Rabbi Geffen's work as a religious leader and educator at the Jewish Center and depicts the center's and Rabbi Geffen's role in the Jewish community there.
Spanning from its inception and incorporation in 1925 to its culmination in 2002, the Queens Jewish Center collection highlights this congregation's wide-range of religiously oriented and secular educational activities, ceremonies, developments, events, and programs. Predominant in this collection are the reports, bulletins, financial, legal and property records, and meeting minutes. In addition, books, clippings, correspondence, pamphlets, programs, publications, negatives photographs are also contained with in this collections.