Lower East Side (New York, N.Y.)
Found in 11 Collections and/or Records:
Arthur A. Goren Papers
This is the collection of Arthur A. Goren, a historian and professor of American Jewish history at the Hebrew University and Columbia University. This collection consists of his research material and professional files from his academic pursuits and career as a professor, primarily at Columbia University. Included in the collection are copies of articles and photocopies of archival material used for research, drafts of speeches and manuscripts, handwritten and typed research notes, correspondence, clippings, photographs, and teaching and course material such as syllabi, readings, notes, and bibliographies.
Belle Kaminer Oral History
Contains a DVD, printed transcripts, and a CD of transcript files. Belle Kaminer was born in New York to immigrants Charlie and Anna Kleinberg. She describes her life growing up in a railroad flat on Forsythe Street, her later move to the Bronx, and the early years of her marriage to Ikey Kaminer.
Records of the Columbia Religious and Industrial School for Jewish Girls (New York, N.Y.)
This collection contains correspondence, financial data and reports (some published) on the work and activities of the School. Among the officers were N. Taylor Phillips, treasurer, and his wife, Rosalie Solomons Phillips, president and first vice president.
Educational Alliance Records
The Educational Alliance functioned as a settlement house on New York’s Lower East Side beginning in 1889, eventually evolving into a community center in the 1920s. The Educational Alliance Records most comprehensively document the aims and activities of the Educational Alliance following WWII and into the 1960s, beginning with Mordecai Kessler’s tenure as Executive Director in 1945. However, meeting minutes and legal documents date back to 1879. Materials include minutes, correspondence, individual records, newsletters, photographs, announcements, deeds, clippings, reports, and financial records.
Jarmulowsky Bank Books and Photographs
Two bank books, one for Ida Goldberg with deposits from 1906-1917 and one for Aaron H. Hochman for deposits in 1910 and 1911. Includes three 8x10 black and white photographs circa 1972 of the bank with a restaurant sign for Jack's Coffee House and Pollak's Hebrew Book Store.
Lower East Side Synagogues Collection
This collection of Lower East Side synagogues focuses mainly on the Stanton Street Shul, containing records of the synagogue’s activities and the attempted sale of the building in 2001. The collection also contains photographs and newspaper articles related to Lower East Side synagogues more generally, as well as audiovisual material.
Michaelson Family Papers
The Michaelson family papers include early family correspondence, documents, and ephemera; genealogical research conducted by Ms. Appleby, Anna's granddaughter; copies of New York City marriage certificates kept by Louis/Lewis B. Michaelson, Rabbi, between 1906-1907; and Anna Michaelson's copies of original birth records that she kept as midwife in the Lower East Side in New York City between 1892-1916. The collection is valuable for researchers interested in the Lower East Side between 1890-1920, Russian immigration to the United States, acculturation of immigrant families to America, midwives, the Jewish communities in Portsmouth, New Hampshire and Trenton, New Jersey, the Boys Institute in the Lower East Side, and the National Committee for Relief of Sufferers by Russian Massacres. In addition, this collection is rich in genealogy material, for researchers interested in the Michaelson family, births in the Lower East Side between 1892-1916, and marriages in New York City between 1907-1909. The collection contains correspondence, a family tree, birth certificates, memo pads, marriage certificates, meeting minutes, photographs, and a prescription pad.
New York City Street Maps Collection
The collection consists of sixteen street maps that were originally part of the Atlas of the City of New York and other sources. Maps include street blocks for the Lower East Side (Wards 7, 11, 13 and Section 1 and 2) and the Upper West Side (Ward 22 and Sections 4 and 7).
Records of the Grand Street Boys' Association
The Grand Street Boys' Association began in 1916 as a reunion of men who had grown up on or near Grand Street in the Lower East Side neighborhood of Manhattan and quickly grew into an active club, open to all men (and eventually women) regardless of religion, ethnicity, or social class. The Association promoted welfare projects, acts of fellowship and tolerance, scholarships, youth employment, war efforts, and the elimination of discrimination in sports, among other projects. The collection documents the activities of the Association, as well as the Grand Street Boys' Foundation, its financial arm established in 1945, and its Hobbycraft Program, a charitable program tasked with collecting and redistributing donated items to charitable and nonprofit organizations. Materials include administrative records, financial records, correspondence, minutes, membership records, newsletters, yearbooks, artifacts, and photographs.
Salomon P. Ratner Autobiography
Dr. Salomon P. Ratner , the youngest of ten children, was born to M'Shulum Frivel and Bashe Leah in Pinsk, Russia. His parents served on the estate of another Jew, Zalman Pulman. Salomon attended Yeshiva in Slutzk, later leaving the Yeshiva to obtain a secular education. He immigrated to New York with his parents in 1902 where they were aided by the Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society and reunited with several of his syblings. While working as a clerk in a pharmacy, Salomon attended the New York College of Dentistry. He married Leah Altshule in September 1910 and opened a practice on Broome and Eldridge Street.
Solon Club of the University Settlement House Collection
The Solon Club of the University Settlement House Photographs is a collection of photographs of Club members at four different times: 1924, 1956, 1957, as well as an undated photograph taken after 1957.