Social service -- Social welfare
Found in 42 Collections and/or Records:
An important figure in the social welfare movement, Menken devoted much of her life to working with women in the penal system. The collection contains publications regarding her social reform work; scrapbooks and travel notebooks; journals; diaries; correspondence and reports relating to her activities with the Society of New York State Women, Jewish Welfare Board, Jewish Protectory and Aid Society (later called Jewish Board of Guardians), New York City Woman's Night Court, Hudson State Training School, New York State Reformatory for Women, Society for Political Study, Daughters of American Revolution, Progressive Party, Mayor's Committee of Women on National Defense, New York, Congregation Shearith Israel, Florence Crittendon League, Committee of Fourteen and the Inwood House.
This collection is comprised of annual reports, budget reports, cables, calendars of events, catalogs, correspondence, minutes, memorandum, lists of Board of Director members, photographs of speakers, and a chart of the organization’s Geneva Headquarters. The documents in this collection describe the many and varied activities of the committee such as fundraising, relief distribution, general information concerning Russian farm colonies and immigration. Also included are cables of congratulation on JDC’s 33rd anniversary. The collection also includes a bound volume of the financial, statistical and general data relating to the committee's activities since its inception which is located at the end of the Miscellaneous Collections.
Collection consists of annual reports for the years 1857, 1859, and 1887. A golden Jubilee program dated January 1905 is also available.
This collection is comprised of lists of officers and committee members, position papers, proceedings, and programs. The documents in this collection describe the Sixtieth Anniversary History Project and the Silver Anniversary Jubilee celebration. Of special interest to researchers will be the association's position paper that discusses the relationship of the Association with the Conference of Jewish Communal Services. The following publications can also be found in this collection: Newsletter (1946), Related Research Reporter (1968).
Bernhard Kahn dedicated 50 years of his life to welfare activities in order to help distressed Jews. Among others he worked for the Hilfsverein der deutschen Juden, the American Jewish Joint Distribution Comittee and the American Joint Reconstruction Foundation .The collection contains personal as well as professional correspondence, articles on Bernhard Kahn’s work and biography, lectures and speeches by him and a number of official documents such as letters of consignment, citizenship papers and educational and professional certificates.
This collection consists of correspondence, memoranda, and minutes of meetings. The minutes contain recommendations pertaining to legislation on discrimination, and reflect the political and social conditions of Jews in the U.S in the 1940s.
The Educational Alliance functioned as a settlement house on New York’s Lower East Side beginning in 1889, eventually evolving into a community center in the 1920s. The Educational Alliance Records most comprehensively document the aims and activities of the Educational Alliance following WWII and into the 1960s, beginning with Mordecai Kessler’s tenure as Executive Director in 1945. However, meeting minutes and legal documents date back to 1879. Materials include minutes, correspondence, individual records, newsletters, photographs, announcements, deeds, clippings, reports, and financial records.
The bulk of the collection is an assembly of various reports, amounting to a document of 907 pages in ten sections: the reports originate mainly from the "Comité de Coordination pour l'Assistance dans les Camps" (CCAC; also known as "Comité de Nîmes") and other organizations, such as the “American Friends Service Committee” (AFSC) and YMCA pertaining to foreign – particularly Jewish – refugees in unoccupied France during WW II.
This collection contains correspondence, reports, and other material relating to both Rabinoff's work with the Jewish Welfare Federations of Indianapolis, Cincinnati, and Chicago; and as a field representative of the Jewish Welfare Board in Texas during the First World War. It also includes correspondence from the professional social work groups Rabinoff served in various capacities, most relating to the National Social Welfare Assembly of which he was the Assistant Director, and the National Conference of Jewish Communal Service of which he was the director of the New York Training Bureau; extensive material on the Australian Jewish Community, where he served as a Fulbright Lecturer in the Dept. of Social Studies of the University of Queensland in 1962, and as a consultant to the Australian National Red Cross; diaries, speeches, published material, reports, and general correspondence.
The Papers of Graenum Berger (1908-1999) document Berger's involvement with Ethiopian Jewry and his efforts to bring about their rescue from Ethiopia through his organization, the American Association for Ethiopian Jews (AAEJ). The Papers also contain materials regarding Berger's other interests-his writings, his travels throughout the world, his community affiliations, his career as a Jewish social work executive, his commitment to Jewish causes, and his commitment to Israel. Also included are personal and biographical materials from his many long-term friendships and associations; correspondence, minutes, reports, clippings, manuscripts, research materials, journal articles, photographs, and publications.
The Training Bureau for Jewish Communal Service trained professional social workers and students for positions in Jewish welfare agencies, 1947-1951. The collection includes correspondence, reports, minutes, and publicity files. It also includes materials on the course, including: curricula, syllabi, lecture outlines, student records (some restricted), and evaluation materials.
This collection contains the records of the Gustav Wurzweiler Foundation of New York, NY, which funded primarily American Jewish organizations (both religious and secular). It consists primarily of correspondence relating to funded and rejected grant proposals as well as financial records and related documentation.
This collection contains the papers of Hans Froehlich, a lawyer and later social worker. A dominant topic throughout the collection is the experience of persecution and the death of loved ones, and, connected with that, the lifelong struggle for restitution and compensation. At the same time, his professional life as a social worker as well as his personal interests and hobbies are reflected in the correspondence, printed material and personal writing found in the collection.
The collection contains personal correspondence, manuscript and printed copies of articles and speeches, photographs, and newspaper clippings pertaining to the education and social welfare activities of Silver. A large part of the correspondence is between Silver and Maurice J. Karpf, Kurt Peiser and I.M. Rubinow concerning Silver's studies at the Training School for Jewish Social Work (1925-1934), and his early work in Cincinnati and Detroit Jewish welfare organizations (1930-1934). Subsequent correspondence pertains to Silver's work for the Israel Ministry of Social Welfare (1961-1966).
The collection consists of the records of the Herman Muehlstein Foundation from 1947 to 2007. The Herman Muehlstein Foundation was a philanthropic organization that gave generously to educational institutes and agencies that supported Herman Muehlstein’s mission to improve the life and quality of young men and women in need of financial assistance. The Herman Muehlstein Foundation was established in 1947 and closed in 2005. The collection consists of correspondence, meeting minutes, legal papers, and grant proposals.
This collection consists of souvenir journals from annual events and annual reports.
Collection sontains the minutes of the Board of Directors (Trustees) meetings, 1972-1975; staff meetings, 1972-1973; background materials and reports pertaining to projects proposed and acted upon; annual reports; financial reports; and miscellaneous publications.
This collection contains the archives of the Council of Jewish Federations and Welfare Funds, a national coordinating agency which assists national and regional Jewish agencies in the U.S. and Canada in fund raising, community organization, health and welfare planning, public relations, and similar missions.
Collection includes materials of the predecessor agency (Bureau of Jewish Social Research), correspondence, research, budget reports, audits, and reports on the activities of approximately 600 national, local, and overseas Jewish agencies.
The Lavanburg-Corner House (LCH) Fund was a philanthropic fund started in 1927 under the Lavanburg Foundation. Its mission was to support/fund agencies that dealt with troubled children and youth. The LCH Fund became fully philanthropic in 1972. The collection contains bills, by-laws, correspondence, financial statements, histories, letters, meeting minutes, memorandums, newspaper clippings, proposals, publications, and reports of the Lavanburg-Corner House Fund.
This collection contains correspondence, documents, and newspaper clippings relating to the life and activities of Frankel in the Metropolitan Life Insurance Company, as well as in other social welfare Jewish organizations. Includes biographic and bibliographic data; manuscript and printed copies of his writings; speeches on the subjects of health, insurance and Jewish affairs; and miscellaneous personal correspondence, particularly especially with Milton Rosenau.
The Lilli Liegner Collection centers on the work of this social worker and her role within the Jüdischer Frauenbund in Breslau. A smaller amount of material relates to the history and individual members of the Liegner and Rawicz families. Included in this collection are reports, correspondence, organizational papers and newspaper clippings on the Jüdischer Frauenbund of Breslau. In addition, the collection contains personal and official papers of family members along with a family tree and personal correspondence.
The collection documents the National Jewish Welfare Board's (JWB) evolution from an organization founded in 1917 to provide support for soldiers in times of war to an agency involved in all aspects of Jewish life both in the United States and abroad. In 1990 JWB recreated itself as the Jewish Community Centers Association of North America.
Philip Cowen (1853-1943) was a Conservative Jew who grew up on the Lower East Side of Manhattan. Though he only studied for one year at the City College of New York, the literary-minded Cowen became the founder (with Rev. Dr. Frederic de Sola Mendes) and editor of the Conservative Jewish publication, the American Hebrew from its inception in 1879 until his resignation in 1906. In 1905, Cowen was appointed by President Theodore Roosevelt to the Ellis Island positions of Immigration Inspector on the Board of Special Inquiry, determining the fitness of émigrés to the United States, and later advanced to Inspector-In-Charge of the Division of Information for Employment and the Discharging and Information Division. In addition, Cowen was a member of the Young Men's Hebrew Association, was a founder of the The Judeans society, a secretary for B'nai B'rith, and published an autobiography entitled Memoirs of an American Jew (1932). Documents include writings and material on immigration, surveys of American leaders and intellectuals on Anti-Semitism, and background materials for articles written in the American Hebrew. The collection contains correspondence, articles, documents, official reports, telegrams, clippings, pamphlets, photographs, and handwritten notes.
The papers consist of biographical information on Rabbi Klein, including publications of his sermon excerpts and press releases issued for his 25th anniversary as leader of Stephen Wise Free Synagogue. The collection also contains correspondence concerning the rabbi's activities and his testimony in 1964 against Bible reading in schools as Chairman of the Church and State Commission of the Central Conference of American Rabbis. Other items of interest include a prayer for Rabbi Stephen S. Wise's funeral and Klein's article and a SWFS publication in memory of him, a report on the care of Jewish Tuberculosis patients (1923), information concerning Young Adventurers Club for mentally retarded children in SWFS, and a signature appeal for a 1967 candlelight vigil against the Vietnam War.
The Association of Jewish Deaf-Mutes in Poland was founded in 1930 in Krakow, through the efforts of Bogumil Liban, as a union of local deaf-mute societies and sports clubs. It was active until the outbreak of war in 1939. This collection contains correspondence and other administrative records of the association.
The Industrial Removal Office was created as part of the Jewish Agricultural Society to assimilate immigrants into American society, both economically and culturally. It worked to employ all Jewish immigrants. The collection contains administrative and financial records, immigrants' removal records, and correspondence. A database has been constructed to search for persons removed by the Industrial Removal Office.
This collection contains the By-Laws (1923), minutes of the Board of Directors (1927-1938), Published report (1922-1924), and Annual Report (1933) of the Jewish Children's Clearing Bureau. Also includes case studies and correspondence.
This collection contains programs and papers read at the Annual Meetings of 1915-1916, the resolution passed at a special meeting in 1915 regarding the founding the School for Jewish Communal Work, the pension plan proposals, and correspondence regarding the Summer School for Social Work held jointly with the Jewish Chautauqua Society. Includes correspondence with the American Jewish Committee, National Americanization Committee, National Conference of Jewish Charities, New York City Board of Education, and the U.S. Dept. of Labor Immigration Bureau relating to the work of the association. Contains also the correspondence of Cyrus Adler, Ludwig Bernstein, Louis d. Brandeis, Lee K. Frankel, Israel Friedlander, Oscar Leonard, Louis Levin, Irving Lipsitch, Minnie F. Low, Louis Marshall, Belle Moskowitz, Milton Reizenstein, H.L. Sabsovich, Philip Seman, and Morris D. Waldman.