New York (N.Y.)
Found in 572 Collections and/or Records:
This collection holds predominately private letters from Berthold Rosenthal to his son on a Kibbutz in Israel. The correspondence documents developments within his domestic life from 1940 to his death in 1957. The correspondence covers his opinions on a variety of political and religious topics. The collection also contains articles on Berthold Rosenthal’s life and his works.
This collection contains papers related to the lives of individuals belonging to the Berwin and Neisser families. The papers include documents related to the business operations of the Guttman company. as well as documents related to the emigration of the Berwin and Neisser families to Israel and the United States. The materials include correspondence; official documents; newspaper clippings; publications; and photographs.
This collection consists of letters to Betty and Morris (Moritz) Moser and their daughter Lore in New York from friends and family in Germany. The primary topic is the search for emigration opportunities.
This collection contains personal papers of Blanka Bardach née Falk (1910-2005). Born in Rogatica (today Bosnia and Herzegovina), Blanka became a dressmaker in Vienna and immigrated to the United States, settling in New York City. Materials include education records, letters of recommendation and certificates from employers, official documents issued from Austrian and U.S. authorities related to immigration, and a few financial records.
This collection contains materials relating to the Leo Baeck lodge, a New York lodge of the Jewish fraternal benevolent society B’nai B’rith. This lodge was founded by German-Jewish émigrés in 1944.
Collection consists of first day of issue stamps issued by the U.S. Post office. Included with each stamp is a biographical or historical sketch of Jewish history as it relates to the stamp's theme. Sketches are organized alphabetically by subject.
The Brüder Böhm Company Collection includes materials documenting the operations of the company that was involved in the production of hats and had plants in Vienna, Austria and Neutitschein, Czechoslovakia (now Nový Jicín, Czech Republic). There is also a small amount of personal materials pertaining to the lives of the owners of the company, the brothers Joseph and Victor Böhm and their cousin Richard Böhm, as well as some other members of the Böhm family.
This collection consists primarily of economist Carl Landauer's correspondence (incoming and outgoing) concerning assistance for refugee scholars during the 1930s and 1940s. It also includes correspondence with Jewish communal organizations in San Francisco and Oakland, and some offprints of Landauer's articles.
The Carol Davidson Baird Papers contain documentation of her family history. The collection includes copies of photographs, certificates and letters of various family members since 1862. It also contains genealogical charts reaching back to the 15th century.
This collection documents the history of the Kahn family from the 19th century to the end of the 20th century. The bulk of the materials relate to Alfred and Lotte Kahn, who fled Germany for New York City in 1939, where Alfred made a career as a lawyer and Lotte as a stockbroker. Paper materials include a family tree, vital records, correspondence, memoirs, education and emigration records, World War I military records, clippings, speeches, and ephemera. Papers showing the activities of the Kahn family in the Congregation Habonim in New York City are also included, as well as a large amount of family photographs ranging from the 1880s to 1969.
The Carola S. Trier collection consists of the personal documents of Carola S. Trier. The bulk of the collection consists of her memoirs, covering a period from 193 to 1942. The collection also includes Carola S. Trier's personal and official correspondence and personal documents, as well as notes and notebooks by her father, Eduard Strauss. Also included clippings, mostly from The New York Times and Aufbau.
This collection consists of correspondence written to Caroline Klein in the 1880s by relatives and friends living in Hungary, Austria, and Germany. Also included are a few letters written by Caroline to others, one letter written by her daughter Elsie, two poems, and a short story. An email from the donor with biographical information is also included.
This record group contains materials related to the local units of Hadassah—groups, chapters, regions, and co-ops—as well as Junior Hadassah, a youth organization that functioned as a group within the Hadassah Chapter structure. The record group documents over one hundred years of Hadassah’s growth, and illuminates a century of American Jewish communal life, particularly that of Jewish women, across the United States. The record group reflects the formation, administration and activities of the individual groups, chapters, co-ops and regions, and contains information on local events and programs organized around fundraising, Zionism, Jewish heritage, religion and holidays celebration, the study of Hebrew and Yiddish, women's issues, fashion, health, technology and many other topics.
This collection is comprised of armed forces material, correspondence, and other material concerning Charles King Emma’s time in the U.S Army from 1943 through 1946.
The City Athletic Club (CAC) was a New York City-based, Jewish, athletic, social, and gentleman's club, founded because Jews were rarely admitted to the established clubs at the time. Over the years, the CAC expanded its facilities, but its membership began dwindling in the 1990s, and the club closed in 2002. The City Athletic Club Records primarily consist of membership applications with supporting documents, but also contain a complete set of Board of Governors minutes, committee minutes, photographs, lantern slides, newsletters, printed matter, ephemera, and plaques.
This record group documents the creation, management, and use of the Hadassah Archives and provides valuable contextual information for researchers, current managers, and future managers of the Hadassah Archives. As an organization, Hadassah created active records of business that were housed in its Central Files department. In the 1950s, Hadassah began the process of creating an official archives, precipitated by a project to locate and compile sources for a biography of Hadassah founder, Henrietta Szold, on the occasion of the 100th anniversary of her birth. This record group documents three specific periods of custodianship—the 1980s, 1996-2011, and 2015-2016—and the various archivists who managed and shaped the archives during those years. RG 23 includes born digital, digitized, and paper material.
The papers of Colonel Seymour Jacob Pomrenze (1916-2011) contain materials relating to his role as the first director of the Offenbach Archival Depot (OAD) in early 1946, as well as documentation of his career as a records management and archives consultant for the American Jewish cultural sector. It also includes a small amount of biographical material.
This collection contains records of the Conference on Jewish Material Claims Against Germany. The bulk of the collection consists of confidential summaries of applications and communications from applicant organizations. Other materials include reports, agendas, memoranda, and communications of the Executive Committee, as well as documents from the founding of the Claims Conference.
The work of the New York office of the Conference on Jewish Material Claims Against Germany is documented in this collection via reports, financial statements and memorandum dating from 1955 to 1972.
This collection contains records of the German-Jewish Orthodox Congregation Ohav Sholaum of Washington Heights, New York, such as by-laws, correspondence of its long-time rabbi, Ralph Neuhaus, and documents relating to its charitable organization Gemiluth Chessed of Washington Heights. It also includes sheet music used by the congregation's choir.
This collection consists almost exclusively of materials documenting the administration of Congregation Shaari Tephillah's plots in three New Jersey cemeteries. Congregation Shaari Tephillah was founded in 1935 as the first German-Jewish congregation formed in the United States after 1933.