Jewish religious education
Found in 23 Collections and/or Records:
This collection contains a number of Alfred Büchler's school papers from educational institutions in Vienna and Shanghai, as well as his German passport and a travel calendar from his emigration out of Austria.
The AMIT records contain correspondence, periodicals, program, project, and subject files, films, reports, convention and chapter material and photographs that document the organizational activities, educational and humanitarian achievements in Israel, and fundraising efforts of this American Jewish Zionist volunteer organization from 1933-2005. The AMIT Records were donated to the American Jewish Historical Society in 2010. The donation, while incomplete, represents the most complete set of documents, to date, related to the projects and achievements of AMIT and its history as the American Mizrachi Women's Organization.
This collection pertains to the family trees of Nathaniel M. Bier and the Wertheimber family. Furthermore the collection is a source for information on Jewish association and clubs in Frankfurt am Main between 1870 and 1939.
The collection contains papers of a pioneer activist of the American Soviet Jewry Movement Rabbi David Hill. A New York City Rabbi and businessman Rabbi Hill served as the national president of National Council of Young Israel, member of the Conference of Presidents of Major American Jewish Organizations and an officer of National Conference on Soviet Jewry. Starting 1971 he ran Operation Lifeline, an independently funded outreach program created by NCSJ Commission on Education and Culture to support Jewish life in the USSR and Former Soviet Union. David H. Hill Papers include materials from late 1950s to 2000 and the bulk of the collection represents the time period from 1963 to 1990. The documents include correspondence, memoranda, publications, news clippings, photographs with negatives, ephemera and a poster.
This collection contains a wide range of materials, ranging from personal correspondence to programs and mass mailings, which for the most part have to do with various community institutions and membership organizations of the pre-war Frankfurt community.
This collection documents the professional and personal life of Henry M. Rosenthal from 1925 to 1989. His tenure as religious director of the 92nd Street Young Men's Hebrew Association and membership of the faculty at Hunter College are well documented through correspondence and supporting materials. Rosenthal’s Philosophical career and published writings make up the bulk of the collection, which includes manuscripts, drafts, and bound copies of his work. Unpublished manuscripts are of particular interest, as are the early drafts of his posthumously published "The Consolations of Philosophy: Hobbes's Secret; Spinoza's Way". Personal journals and early letters between Rosenthal and his wife, the former Rachel Chernowitz, complete the collection.
This collection contains a variety of materials representing the pre-World War II German existence of Ilse Baum's family, including postcards, vital documents and photographs. Specifically there are German and US vital and military documents for Ilse's parents Erich and Grete (née Dublon) Baum (circa 1914-1978); Ilse's Poesie friendship book created on the occasion of her emigration from Germany, with entries by family and friends, accompanied by Ilse's later notes about the wartime fate of several friends (entries dated 1938-1945); seven postcards, mostly to/from Erich Baum during his WWI service and featuring pictures of him and his unit (1916-1923); fifteen photographs of Ilse Baum's extended family (circa 1900-circa 1940); three photographs of David Dublon's grave (circa 1930-circa 1960); documents pertaining to David Dublom, Grete Baum's father: a program for his silver jubilee celebration, an obituary, a death certificate, and correspondence regarding his grave at the Jewish cemetery in Bonn (1913-1956).
This collection comprises a huge amount of letters that the German-Jewish historian Isaak Markus Jost sent to his former teacher and good friend Samuel Meyer Ehrenberg and his son Philipp Ehrenberg. Prominent issues are education, politics and intellectual life in Berlin and Frankfurt am Main.
This collection contains assorted primary and secondary materials relevant to the former German-Jewish community of Königsberg, including programs from the synagogue and local Jewish organizations, curricula for Jewish education in Königsberg, and materials on the development of a prayer book for the New Synagogue.
The collection contains various original and copied materials pertaining to the boarding school ‘Landschulheim Herrlingen’, both from the period of its original, general clientele, 1926-1933, as well as from its Jewish form under Nazi rule.
The Leon Kronish Papers incorporate the personal and professional papers of Rabbi Leon Kronish with the organizational records of Temple Beth Sholom in Miami Beach, Florida, where he served as spiritual leader for over fifty years. Included are sermons, correspondence, memorandums, newsletters, worship service manuals, programs, pamphlets, greeting cards, administrative records, financial records, notes, clippings, scrapbooks, photographs, and sound recordings.
Manuscripts on this history of the Jewish community in Mühlhausen and a few other localities near Bamberg. Several of the manuscripts contain reproductions and transcriptions of original documents.
The collection comprises documents related to the Meyer family and Jewish life in Württemberg as well as newspaper clippings from the 20th century. Mostly it features materials about Jewish life in Southern Germany from the 18th century to the 19th century. Moreover, personal notes from Max Meyer on religious topics, Festschriften and items related to the Jewish graveyard in Stuttgart-Hoppenlau are part of the collection.
The Papers of Rabbi Samuel Geffen document his professional career as the rabbi of the Jewish Center of Forest Hills West in Queens. The collection is the result of Rabbi Geffen's work as a religious leader and educator at the Jewish Center and depicts the center's and Rabbi Geffen's role in the Jewish community there.
Spanning from its inception and incorporation in 1925 to its culmination in 2002, the Queens Jewish Center collection highlights this congregation's wide-range of religiously oriented and secular educational activities, ceremonies, developments, events, and programs. Predominant in this collection are the reports, bulletins, financial, legal and property records, and meeting minutes. In addition, books, clippings, correspondence, pamphlets, programs, publications, negatives photographs are also contained with in this collections.
Robert Raphael Geis (1906-1972) was a rabbi, educator, and Jewish theologian. He identified strongly with German liberal Judaism, but his keen interest in Jewish studies brought him close to leaders of conservative Judaism as well. Before the Second World War Robert Raphael Geis worked as a rabbi for the youth and Religion teacher in Munich and Mannheim, and as a rabbi in Kassel, Germany. After the war he served as a rabbi in Switzerland, the Netherlands, and Germany. In the early 1960s, Raphael Robert Geis became engaged in the dialog of Protestant and Jewish theologians. The Robert Raphael Geis collection consists mainly of correspondence and writings. There are only a few personal documents. The writings consist of newspaper articles, reviews of books on Jewish topics and sermons for major Jewish holidays. The correspondence has two main foci: the periods before and after the Second World War. The first period is characterized by letters written by various leading figures of Jewish communities in Germany and is concerned with employment opportunities for young rabbis, as well as insights into inner workings of congregations. A large amount of letters from this period also come from Robert Raphael Geis' students. The correspondence written after the war centers on theological matters and the workings of the Arbeitsgemeinschaft der "Juden und Christen" (Working Group of "Jews and Christians").
United Jewish Appeal-Federation of Jewish Philanthropies of New York is the organization that resulted from the mergers of various New York federations with the New York office of UJA. UJA-Federation and its predecessor organizations have been a central force for communal planning and philanthropy in the New York Jewish community since 1917, and in overseas Jewish communities since 1939. The largest section of this collection covers the Federation of Jewish Philanthropies and its predecessor organizations in Manhattan, the Bronx and Brooklyn. Important subject areas include Federation’s work with their affiliated agencies including detailed budget files through most of the 20th century; UJA’s programs in Israel and campaigns in New York during the 1960s and 1970s; an overview of the UJA-Federation Joint Campaign 1974-1986; and the day to day work of the successfully merged organizations 1986-2000.