Jews -- Germany -- History
Found in 106 Collections and/or Records:
The first folder contains photocopies of letters written to Alfred Neumeyer regarding his paper "Bemerkungen zu einer Abaenderung des Edikts vom 10. Juni 1813, die Verhaeltnisse der juedischen Glaubensgenossen im Koenigreiche Bayern betreffend" (Regierungsblatt 1813, Stueck 39, Seite 921). Referat erstattet im Auftrag der größeren und mittleren Israelitischen Kultusgemeinden Bayerns," Augsburg 1914. 33 pp.) (Cf. http://opac.cjh.org:8991/F?func=direct-doc-set&doc_number=000195490 &format=999)
Attached is the carbon copy of a letter from the Leo Baeck Institute Jerusalem (Max Nathan) to Alfred Neumeyer's son, Alexander Neumeyer from Shavei Zion (1966), who gave copies to the institute, but kept the originalThe second folder contains Alfred Neumeyer's memoirs titled "Erinnerungen". They were written in the Jewish agricultural settlement Avigdor (Argentina) between 1941 and 1944 (typescript, 268+2 pp.) after his emigration from Germany and cover the years 1867 to 1944.
Alfred Neumeyer describes: his childhood in Munich; primary and secondary education; military service; university studies in Berlin and Munich; marriage and domestic life; work as a judge in Munich; Jewish communal activities; establishment of "Verband Bayerischer Israelitischer Gemeinden"; fight against prohibition of ritual slaughter in Bavaria; activities for "Centralverein" and "Reichsvertretung"; forced retirement as judge in 1933; changes in Jewish communal work after 1933; emigration and life in Argentina. (Cf. http://opac.cjh.org:8991/F?func=direct-doc-set&doc_number=000200946 &format=999)
The collection holds clippings from local German newspapers and journals pertaining to the former Jewish community in Aschaffenburg, Germany. Also included are issues of the journal Spessart and a brochure, "Aschaffenburg : Vergangen, nicht verfessen – Sieben Jahrhunderte jüdische Gemeinde in Aschaffenburg, 1984“.
The Bernard Eckstein Addenda Collection focuses on providing documentation of the life of the chemist Bernard Eckstein, especially his early life in Ulm, Germany, his education in England and the United States, and his military service during World War II. Documentation of the lives of his parents, brother, and other family members are also present. The collection includes official and personal documents, scrapbooks, family correspondence, biographical and autobiographical narratives, photographs, military documents, newspaper clippings, and other documents.
The Bueding family papers contain handwritten and printed original documents of the Bueding, Goldschmidt, Cohnheim and Mardorf families in Kassel, Hesse, including royal commissions, letters of protection, business matters, and family histories. They also hold documentation collected by the Bueding family about Jewish history in Kassel, especially about the history of French Jews, from the Middle Ages until the 19th century.
The bulk of the collection deals with a 1787 letter of protection for 25 Jewish families, allowing them to settle in Buttenhausen. Also included is material, documenting Jewish history in and around Buttenhausen; material, documenting the persecution of Jews, 1933-1945; and clippings about the dedication of various memorials, 1961-2000.
The Carola Levy Collection holds the papers of Carola Levy Kaufmann as well as of the Levy and Feldheim families and related families. The collection consists of correspondence, article manuscripts, copies of family members' documents and newspaper clippings, and a friendship book.
The collection contains correspondence regarding the Chambré family, accompanied by notes and clippings on the Jewish community and Chambré family of Lich (Hesse). Also included is an illustrated yahrzeit reminder for Carl Chambré.
The collection documents the life and interests of Curt C. Silberman. There are only a few materials related to his life in Germany and his and family's immigration. The bulk of the collection consists of documents and correspondence related to his involvement with Jewish organizations in the US and his visits to Germany, especially his hometown Wuerzburg.
Various decrees issued by rulers before emancipation to the Jewish communities of the towns and provinces of Alsace, Augsburg, Austria, Baden, Bamberg, Berlin, Bohemia, Brandenburg, Braunschweig, Breslau, Cassel, Cologne, Dresden, Eisenach, Frankfurt am Main, Hanau, Hanover, Helmstaedt, Hessen, Karlsruhe, Leipzig, Nassau, Nuremberg, Palatinate, Potsdam, Prussia, Rawicz, Rheinfels, Saxony, Schleswig, Schwerin, Vienna, Weinheim, Wolfenbuettel, and Wuerzburg. The decrees concern many aspects of life, including economic activity and taxation, settlement rights, and the regulation of the internal life of the Jewish communities.
This collection contains various original and printed materials pertaining to the ‘Israelitische Religionsgemeinde zu Dresden’ regarding community finances, the new synanogue in Dresden, and Holocaust remembrance. Also found in this collection are typescripts written by Walter Grün, Max Lesser, and Henry A. Landsberger.
This collection contains original official documents pertaining to two brothers, Ephraim Salomon Unger (1789-1870) and David Salomon Unger (1801- ), both renowned mathematicians in Germany in the 19th century. Also included are photocopies of documents pertaining to both brothers as well as members of their family.
This collection contains genealogical information and documents related to the Esslinger, Bloch, and Leib families from Württemberg, Konstanz and Zurich, as well as Isidor Esslinger who immigrated to the US State of Indiana in the 1850s.
The Evelyn Benson Collection consists of documents on six German Jewish nurses that were compiled for Benson's research on the history of Jewish women in nursing. Documents include correspondence, photographs, manuscripts, photocopies of official documents, and clippings.
This collection contains a wide range of materials, ranging from personal correspondence to programs and mass mailings, which for the most part have to do with various community institutions and membership organizations of the pre-war Frankfurt community.
List of names of Jewish residents & businesses of Gedern and Ober-Seemen as of 1933. Photographs of the Jewish cemetery of Ober-Seemen.
The collection consists mainly of the correspondence of Johanna Boetz, Richard Scheuer and the city of Gelnhausen about its Jewish community in general and particularly about the rededication of the local synagogue on September 25, 1986. Also included are press releases and newsletters, manuscripts such as "Das Schicksal der Juden im Main-Kinzig-Kreis, Jugendliche suchen eine Erklaerung," and clippings.
This collection contains two longer family history manuscripts, as well as some translations of early 20th century research on German-Jewish genealogy and various other materials compiled by George Arnstein for his family research endeavors