Found in 31 Collections and/or Records:
The collection contains records of the Jewish community of Adelebsen, Germany, spanning the years 1832 to 1917. During this period Adelebsen, a small town in the vicinity of Göttingen, was at first located in the kingdom of Hanover. When the latter was annexed by the kingdom of Prussia in 1866 it became known as the province of Hanover; and in 1871 it became part of the German Empire. A small amount of material pertains to the Jewish community in Barterode, some members of which eventually joined the Adelebsen community. Approximately half of the collection comprises financial records covering the period from 1838 to 1917 (with gaps), including annual statements; account books; lists of taxes, donations, synagogue fines, and synagogue seat fees collected from members; lists of families with school-age children; and accounts of the Adelebsen Jewish charitable association. The remainder of the records comprise administrative correspondence and documents, with correspondents including the government offices in Adelebsen, Uslar, and Hildesheim; the rabbis who headed regional districts of Jewish communities ('Landrabbiner'); and community members, including Sally Blumenfeld, the long-time teacher heading the Jewish school. Noteworthy documents include a handwritten copy of the Hanoverian synagogue regulations issued by Rabbi Nathan Marcus Adler in 1832, with later amendments; minutes of two meetings with Adler, one in 1836 at which he initiated the project to build a new synagogue; a regulation of 1841 governing the community's tax assessment; minutes of oath-taking by community officers and assessors in the Adelebsen municipal court; election materials; and files related to matters such as employment of the Jewish teacher, petition for exemption from the municipal poor tax, preparations for matzah baking, and purchase of a garden plot to expand the Jewish cemetery.
This collection contains documents related to Albert Friedrich Hirsch, his family and the Philanthropin School in Frankfurt am Main, at which Hirsch was headmaster. Prominent topics are emigration and the school's fate under the Nazi regime as well as the attempts of its former pupils and faculty to stay in touch after 1945. The papers in this collection include some original material from the late 19th century through World War I and the "Third Reich" as well as several typescripts from the 1950s and 1960s that are related to a memorial book, which was eventually published in 1964.
The file contains documents pertaining to the connection between the Hebrew Teachers Union, represented by Ephraim Ginsberg, and the German Teachers Union (Arbeitgemeinschaft Deutscher Lehrerverbände), and comprises two folders.
The collection contains materials representing the academic career of Frieda Fuchs, from her early school years, through her doctoral studies and research into psychology in Germany, to her career in the United States. The following material is from her earlier years in Germany: grade certificates from the Grossherzogliche Seminar für Volksschullehrerinnen in Darmstadt indicating good marks (1907-1914); her teaching contract for the Israelitische Volksschule (1916), certificates confirming satisfactory studies and a diploma granting a doctoral degree from the Universtät Frankfurt am Main, in recognition of her dissertation Experimentelle Studien über das Bewegungsnachbild (1927-1928). The following material is from either shortly before or after her emigration to the United States: editions of her curriculum vitae (1940-1941); letters of recommendation, job correspondence and offers (1939-1942), report entitled Von Nachbildern und ihrer Bedeutung, undated. Also included is an offprint, signed by the author, Dr. S. Hirsch, entitled Die letzten Millimeter der arteriellen Strombahn, and two photographs of Frieda Fuchs approximately ages 30 and 50.
The collection contains handwritten letters by a variety of prominent rabbis and Jewish thinkers, including Jacob Bernays, Philipp Bloch, Zacharias Frankel, Abraham Geiger, Heinrich Graetz, Ludwig Philippson, and Gabriel Riesser, all regarding applications and recommendations for positions at the Jewish teacher training school of the Marks-Haindorf-Stiftung in Münster. Two brief letters by Alexander Haindorf, the founder of the Marks-Haindorf-Stiftung, are administrative in nature. Also included is a passport issued to Hermann Steinthal by King Friedrich Wilhelm of Prussia.
The collection contains correspondence, including several letters from Leopold Zunz and Moses Moser, documents, and family trees related to the teacher Immanuel Wohlwill, the neurologist Friederich Wohlwill, and other Wohlwill family members.
This collection comprises a huge amount of letters that the German-Jewish historian Isaak Markus Jost sent to his former teacher and good friend Samuel Meyer Ehrenberg and his son Philipp Ehrenberg. Prominent issues are education, politics and intellectual life in Berlin and Frankfurt am Main.
The collection contains documents and manuscripts written by and about Dr. Jakob Loewenberg, the director of a girls' school in Hamburg from 1892 until his death in 1929. In addition to overseeing the school, Dr. Loewenberg was a poet and friend of relatively well-known German poets and writers of the day. The collection includes correspondence with the latter as well as articles about these friendships by Dr. Loewenberg and his son, Ernst, published after his father's death. Dr. Loewenberg was proud of being German and Jewish and often wrote on the topic. There is also significant correspondence from the Loewenberg family around the time of the First World War, documents on family genealogy, a large photograph collection, poems written by Loewenberg and numerous official personal documents. It also includes correspondence, manuscripts and personal documents of Dr. Ernst Loewenberg, Jakob Loewenberg's eldest son.
The collection comprises documents related to the Meyer family and Jewish life in Württemberg as well as newspaper clippings from the 20th century. Mostly it features materials about Jewish life in Southern Germany from the 18th century to the 19th century. Moreover, personal notes from Max Meyer on religious topics, Festschriften and items related to the Jewish graveyard in Stuttgart-Hoppenlau are part of the collection.
This collection contains personal and professional material of Meinhardt Lemke such as a large amount of manuscripts, correspondence and various documents like his immigration papers and religious school material from Silesia.
This collection contains papers of Nokhem Shtif, a Yiddish philologist, editor, literary historian, translator, and political activist, and one of the founders of the YIVO Institute in Vilna. The bulk of the materials pertains to Yiddish language, philology, and literature, as well as to the administration and activities of the Kiev-based Institute of Jewish Proletarian Culture, especially the Philological Section, which was directed by Shtif. The materials include manuscripts of Shtif's writings and speeches; correspondence; reports; meeting minutes; departmental planning documents and course programs/syllabi; materials related to Shtif's teaching of Yiddish stylistics courses; newspaper clippings; several manuscripts of articles and research works by other scholars; and notes, transcriptions, and other research materials, including memoirs related to the lexicographer Y. M. Lifshits.
This collection is comprised of the papers of the librarian and author Philipp Flesch. It prominently features manuscripts of his writing, which consists of poetry, essays, short stories, and a novel. In addition, the collection holds a small amount of Philipp Flesch's personal and professional correspondence as well as some personal papers, including official documents.
This collection contains the administrative records of Jewish Education Committee as well as materials from the National Council for Jewish Education and the American Association for Jewish Education. The Jewish Education Committee was a Jewish educational organization in New York concerned with coordination of educational activities as well as development of educational resources for the Jewish secular school systems in the U.S. and was organized in June 1939. Materials include correspondence, memoranda, minutes, reports, conference materials, surveys, and publications.
The collection documents the organization and operation of the Jewish State schools in the Vilna Guberniya as well as some non-Jewish State schools and consists of reports, petitions and appeals, resolutions, correspondence, financial documents, lists of students and teachers, certificates, minutes, and circulars. There are materials pertaining to the Vilna State Jewish Real Gymnasium, Vilna State Jewish School, and other local State Jewish schools. Also included here are materials pertaining to some non-Jewish State schools and to the Commission on Jewish Schools of the Vilna Guberniya
The Society for Handicraft and Agricultural Work among the Jews of Russia, known by its Russian acronym, "ORT," was founded in St. Petersburg, in the Russian Empire, in 1880. Its aim was the promotion and development of skilled trades and agriculture among Jews, especially through support of vocational and agricultural training. At first operating only as a provisional committee, it received legal recognition in Russia in 1906, and subsequently established local divisions in various cities within Russia and, after the First World War, in Poland, Lithuania, and other countries. An ORT committee was formed in Vilna in February 1919; the ORT Society in Vilna helped found an international umbrella organization, the World ORT Union, in 1921, with headquarters in Berlin (until 1933) and, later, Paris. The collection comprises records of the ORT Society in Vilna that, despite their fragmentary nature, broadly reflect the society's activities from its beginnings until its dissolution by the authorities in Soviet-occupied Lithuania, in 1940. The collection contains administrative records, such as bylaws, minutes, reports, membership records, and financial records; outgoing and incoming correspondence, with correspondents including the ORT Central Committee in Poland, Warsaw (founded 1923); records pertaining to the administration of the society's vocational programs, including its Crafts School, which trained Jewish youth as artisans in the fields of carpentry and locksmithing, and various professional advancement courses for adults, in fields such as electrical installation and tailoring (cutting); records concerning activities related to agriculture in the period 1920 to 1923, apparently reflecting the work of an ORT regional committee based in Vilna (loan applications and questionnaires about Jewish families working on farms, in most cases pertaining to localities in the western part of present-day Belarus); and a few items documenting a credit cooperative society founded by the Vilna ORT Society. Also included is a small amount of ephemera, and two small groupings of ORT-related records with no apparent relationship to the society in Vilna: correspondence of the Arbeterheym (Workers' Home), Riga, Latvia, in 1923, including letters from the Jewish People's Relief Committee, New York, which became affiliated with the American ORT; and correspondence addressed to J. Capitanchik, London, in 1924, from the ORT Society in London, in part concerning his effort to organize an ORT committee in the city's East End.
The Jewish Vocational (Technical) School of ORT in Vilna, known as the Technicum, opened in Vilna (Wilno, Poland; today, Vilnius, Lithuania) in 1921 and remained in existence until 1940. It trained Jewish young people in the fields of mechanics and electrical engineering over a three-year course of study. The Technicum was subsidized by the ORT Central Committee (Warsaw), the Vilna Jewish Community Council, and the Vilna municipality. The school was equipped with laboratories and workshops, as well as a technical library, and published a series of its own Yiddish-language textbooks for use by students. The collection comprises administrative records, including budgets and general reports, school statistics, financial records, correspondence, and files pertaining to students and teachers, as well as materials documenting the curriculum, course scheduling, and examinations. Also included are letters and supporting documents from applicants for teaching positions; student papers; materials related to a graduates' association and a parents' committee; and copies of several of the textbooks published by the school.
The Rabbinical School and Teachers’ Institute in Vilna was one of two Jewish state schools established in the Russian Empire in 1847 to train state appointed (kazënnye) rabbis and teachers for Jewish elementary state schools in the Pale of Settlement. The purpose of these schools was to undermine and replace the traditional kheder system of education. The other such school was in Zhitomir. The state schools were unpopular because of their assimilationist policies. The Vilna Rabbinical School was closed in 1873, but the Teachers' Institute remained in existence until 1914
The Yidisher lerer fareyn (Yiddish Teachers' Union) in Vilna was a professional association of secular Yiddish teachers, which supported the ideology of the TSYSHO school system. The union engaged in a wide range of activities in order to promote the interests of its member teachers. Its membership, although composed primarily of Yiddish teachers expanded gradually to include teachers from religious and Hebrew schools. Founded in 1915, the union lasted until c. 1940. The records of the Yiddish Teachers' Union reflect its activities from 1916-1940.
The collection contains a brief essay by Ruth Knox née Liebermensch regarding her childhood in Mannheim and emigration from Germany; song printed on the occasion of the wedding of Samuel Liebermensch and Gisela Schiff; and sheet music edited by Samuel Liebermensch, entitled "Lieder des jüdischen Hauses."
This collection documents the personal and professional life of the rabbi Siegmund Salfeld, who served in Dessau and Mainz. Although the major focus of the collection is on the rabbi himself, there is also some material on the Mainz Jewish community and correspondence exchanged with prominent Jewish individuals. The collection is composed of official documents, correspondence, manuscripts of articles and sermons, published works, and clippings.
The collection is divided into two series. Series I contains manuscripts of his writings in German, accompanied with English translations. Series II consists of genealogical material, family trees, vital records, etc. (in German and English) of the Kramer family.