Found in 8 Collections and/or Records:
Founded by Shlomo and Rivka (Wolman) Shulsinger, Camp Massad was the pre-eminent Hebrew camp in the United States. The collection, comprised of material donated by former staff, counselors, and campers contains administrative records, correspondence, newsletters, play scripts, photographs, oral histories and movies.
This collection contains applications, certificates, directories, yearbooks, and ephemera from the following summer camps: Jewish Ys and Centers Camp Arthur/Reeta (Zieglerville, PA); Union of American Hebrew Congregations Camp Harlam (Philadelphia, PA); Buck's Rock Work Camp (New Milford, CT); and Cejwin Camp (Port Jervis, NY).
The collection consists of memorabilia and research materials Hyman Bogen collected regarding the Hebrew Orphan Asylum of New York and its alumni association, the Seligman Solomon Society. A wide range of documents exist, such as orphanage and alumni publications, personal and academic histories, souvenir programs, articles and newslcippings, reports, files on certain individual alumni, correspondence, completed alumni questionnaires, photographs, veteran and census documents, a scrapbook, and banners and towels. The collection includes many HOA publications, the HOA annual reports, commemorative booklets, a centenial souvenir book, a farewell dinner program, camp Wehaha and Wakitan songbook, and evaluation reports. The collection contains several personal and academic histories as well as informal recollections of HOA written by alumni and graduate students of the Graduate School for Jewish Social Work. Burial lists of children interred at Beth El (1930s) and Salem Fields (1988) Cemeteries can be accessed as well. Of unusual interest are research files Hyman Bogen gathered for his book The Luckiest Orphans: A History of the Hebrew Orphan Asylum of New York and a possible book on the Franco and Goldman families. These include Samson Simpson (1780-1857) as well as the musical prodigies Franco and Goldman families who had ties to HOA. Another appealing item is the visitor book to Moses Ezekiel's Rome Studio (1896). HOA photographs are numerous and consist of the Broadway and Amsterdam building, individual groups, camps, boys scout troop, the band, HOA staff, confirmation classes, the 1941 farewell dinner, a 1945 seder, and a memorial to HOA plaque dedication. A scrapbook compiled by HOA librarian Mildred Stember offers a detailed view of HOA life in the 1920's. Seligman Solomon Society material includes the oldest existing SSS document, a musical program from 1889. Further material encompasses bulletins, dinner programs, anniversary books, and meeting minutes proposing the merger of SSS and Academy Alumni Association.
The collection documents the National Jewish Welfare Board's (JWB) evolution from an organization founded in 1917 to provide support for soldiers in times of war to an agency involved in all aspects of Jewish life both in the United States and abroad. In 1990 JWB recreated itself as the Jewish Community Centers Association of North America.
Among the camp memorabilia photographed on this CD is personal and camp correspondence, songs, programs, and photographs. Ms. Miller attended Camp Ramah Canada between 1960-1961.
Collection consists of alumni invitations, a biographical sketch for David Carasso/Carson, a button, information regarding a parade Saginaw took part in to commemorate the 200th Anniversary of George Washington's inauguration (1989), news clippings, HOA Association "Rising Bell" newsletters(1984, 1987, 1999), an centennial anniversary program for HOA Association (1987), photographs, HOA songs, and a scrapbook. Of particular interest is the scrapbook compiled by Meyer Saginaw, which dates from 1935-1940. Also of interest are lyrics to HOA songs from 1936. The themes of the songs include Palestine, Purim, Shavous, and HOA summer camps Wakitan and Wehaha.
United Jewish Appeal-Federation of Jewish Philanthropies of New York is the organization that resulted from the mergers of various New York federations with the New York office of UJA. UJA-Federation and its predecessor organizations have been a central force for communal planning and philanthropy in the New York Jewish community since 1917, and in overseas Jewish communities since 1939. The largest section of this collection covers the Federation of Jewish Philanthropies and its predecessor organizations in Manhattan, the Bronx and Brooklyn. Important subject areas include Federation’s work with their affiliated agencies including detailed budget files through most of the 20th century; UJA’s programs in Israel and campaigns in New York during the 1960s and 1970s; an overview of the UJA-Federation Joint Campaign 1974-1986; and the day to day work of the successfully merged organizations 1986-2000.