Universities and colleges
Found in 7 Collections and/or Records:
The Dimon-Kurrein Family Collection contains the assorted papers of the Kurrein, Blau, Dimon, and Loewe families. A special focus is on the family correspondence during and after their emigration to the United States and Palestine in 1934. Official documents, a biographical essay, a family photo album, articles on Max Kurrein and several family trees are included in the collection.
The collection contains original documents from the first half of the 19th century regarding decrees made affecting the Jewish community, found in folder 1. Folder 2 contains the programs accompanying the 1992 and 1994 award of the Hedwig-Burgheim Medaille, given in 1992 to Rabbi Henry G. Brandt, the program also includes articles commemorating the 50th anniversary of deportation. The 1994 award was given to provost Helmut Grün and the book includes documentation on rebuilding of synagogue in Giessen.
This collection holds the papers of rabbi Ludwig Philippson and other Philippson family members. Noteworthy items in this collection include handwritten manuscripts by Ludwig Philippson, correspondence between various family members, and diaries kept by Henriette and Moritz Philippson; the latter describes experiences as a medical student in Jena. In addition, the collection also holds manuscripts by the geographer Alfred Philippson that describe in depth family members as well as his experiences as a student, lecturer, and professor. Other items include detailed family trees, official papers, poems, notes, clippings, wills, and photographs.
The collection consists primarily of newspaper clippings in remembrance (and mostly praise) of Paul Eppstein. Also included are photocopies of official documents pertaining to Eppstein’s academic career.
This collection contains annual reports, catalogs, pamphlets, brochures, newsletters and bulletins concerning the Hebrew University in Jerusalem from 1938-1993. Also includes fundraising brochures, correspondence, activity information and press releases outlining the work of American Friends of the Hebrew University.
Collection documents the activities and missions of the Union of Orthodox Jewish Congregations of America (UOJCA), primarily during the presidencies of William Weiss (1933-1942), Samuel Nirenstein (1942-1948), Moses Feuerstein (1954-1965), and Rabbi Pinchas Stolper’s tenure as Executive Vice President (1976-1994).
Founded in 1898, the UOJCA, also known as the Orthodox Union, serves as the leader, organizer, and voice of affiliated Orthodox Jewish congregations in North America. Divisions of the UOJCA reflected most prominently in the collection include the National Conference of Synagogue Youth, the Women’s Branch, the Kashruth Division, the Department of Synagogue Services, the Israel Center, as well as regional branches.
Subjects addressed in the collection include Sabbath and high holiday observance, dietary laws, Baal Teshuva, slaughterhouse legislation, funeral standards, education, and synagogue management and outreach. Materials include correspondence, minutes, clippings, speeches, UOJCA publications, financial documents, and a few photographs.