Ledgers (account books)
Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
Found in 30 Collections and/or Records:
Identifier: AR 25094
Abstract This collection contains account books for the money lending business of Abraham Hirsch Emrich (1814-1899) of Merchingen (today part of Ravenstein in Baden, Germany). It also contains account books of the general goods business of the Emmerich family.
Abstract Consists of correspondence from the formative years of the American Academy for Jewish Research from 1930 to 1936, fellows files and correspondence, ledgers and notebooks of membership dues and fellowship grants, minutes of the various committee meetings, Proceedings of the American Academy for Jewish Research, and photographs. Correspondents include Salo Baron, Isaac E. Barzilay, Robert Chazan, Louis Finkelstein, Louis Ginsberg, David Weiss-Halivni, Arthur Hyman, Saul Lieberman, Alexander Marx, Harry Orlinsky, and Harry Austrin Wolfson.
Dates: undated, 1928-2001; Majority of material found within 1940 - 1999
Abstract The records of the American Jewish Historical Society, the oldest national ethnic historical organization in the United States, include correspondence of officers and staff as well as inter-office memos, multiple versions of the constitution and by-laws of the society, meeting minutes of administrative branches and committees, membership and financial records, reports, exhibit materials, records relating to the society’s library and archival holdings, press releases and newspaper clippings, and publications and newsletters created by the society. There are also materials from various programs, such as meetings and conferences, tours, lectures, awards and dinners, films, and educational programs.
Dates: 1883-2003; Majority of material found within 1892-2000
Identifier: I-578/RG 22
Abstract This record group contains three-dimensional objects and printed materials that relate to the history of Hadassah. A bulk of this record group consists of promotional and commemorative objects and awards created by Hadassah for its Annual and Midwinter National Conventions, and for Young Judaea events. Examples of such items include t-shirts, hats, bags, buttons, stationery and keychains. Artifacts created by local Hadassah chapters and regions, as well as awards received by local and national Hadassah leaders from other organizations, are also included. Of a particular interest is the bronze death mask of Henrietta Szold.
Congregation Kahal Adath Yeshurun with Anshe Lubitz [Eldridge Street Synagogue] (New York, N.Y.) Records
Abstract Minute-books, records, ledgers, and miscellaneous material relating to activities of the Congregation, 1873(?)-1933.
Dates: undated, 1873(?)-1933
Identifier: AR 25100
Abstract This collection consists almost exclusively of materials documenting the administration of Congregation Shaari Tephillah's plots in three New Jersey cemeteries. Congregation Shaari Tephillah was founded in 1935 as the first German-Jewish congregation formed in the United States after 1933.
Identifier: AR 7210
Identifier: AR 7223
Abstract Documents and correspondence related to the Friedmanns' emigration from Germany and Cuba via the famous S. S. St. Louis (they were the only family who disembarked in Cuba), as well as documents related to the freezing of their assets and Jewish forced contributions in Germany in 1939.
Dates: 1938-1983; Majority of material found within 1938-1941
Abstract This Collection consists of the papers of the following members of the Gomez family of New York: Lewis Moses (1654/60-1740); Jacob (d. 1722); Daniel (1695-1780); Mordecai (1688-1750); Moses; Aaron Lopez (d. 1860); and Aaron and Hetty Gomez. It also contains also a photograph of the Gomez family coat of arms.
Dates: undated, 1688-1905
Identifier: AR 25491
Abstract The Grossman Family Collection holds papers on several members of the family, most prominently Erika Busse Grossmann and Hans Grossmann, but also includes articles by Walter Grossmann and a family tree. Included are Erika Busse Grossmann's official, educational and restitution papers and documentation of Hans Grossmann's legal practice.
Dates: 1924-1998; Majority of material found within 1950-1975
Abstract Hebrew Orphan Asylum was founded in 1822 as the Hebrew Benevolent Society. It underwent various changes of name until 1906, and merged with The Jewish Child Care Association of New York in 1940. The collection includes extensive administrative records including financial statements, property records, Board, Committee, and Executive minutes, donation books, publications, and state and government correspondence and reports. The collection also includes children's admission and discharge ledgers, medical records, and conduct books. Also within the collection are childcare studies, dedication speeches, writings by alumni, oral histories, newspaper and magazine clippings, and photographs.
Dates: undated, 1855-2013; Majority of material found within 1900 - 1940
Abstract The Hebrew Sheltering Guardian Society, founded in 1879, merged with the Jewish Child Care Association of New York in 1940. This collection includes administrative records consisting of annual reports, Board of Directors' annual reports and meeting minutes, a limited amount of committee reports, financial records, donation books, and property records. The collection also includes children admission and discharge ledgers, which date from 1898 to 1942, with gaps. Please note that children records dated after 1925 are restricted for privacy reasons. Additional material regarding orphan life is available through student publications and programs, alumni newsletters and programs, and HSGS promotional material. Affiliated organizational records include material on Fellowship House, an after care service; Foster Home Bureau, including newsletters recruiting foster parents and records of its Baby Department; and alumni associations. Of additional interest are dedications and speeches held during the inauguration of Pleasantville, child care study papers, histories, and material concerning the New York Federation for the Support of Jewish Philanthropic Societies merger.
Dates: undated, 1879-1972, 1995
Identifier: AR 25638
Abstract The Hirschland Bank and Family Collection contains the family papers and banking records of the Hirschland banking firm established by Simon Hirschland in Essen. Family papers pertain to members of the Hirschland, Grünebaum, Neumann and other families, with an emphasis on family members' emigration and role in the family firm. Banking records focus on the history of the family firm from the 1930s through the 1960s, including records of successor financial firms. The collection includes prolific correspondence, banking files and financial records, family papers, official documents, photographs and photo albums, contracts, and other papers.
Dates: 1819-1999; Majority of material found within 1925-1970
Abstract Contains the Bulletin of the Jewish Center of Williamsbridge from the 1940s to the 1970s and gift books bound with yearbooks of the Center bound inside. Also includes material regarding Doctor Rabbi Akiba Predmesky (d. 1998), who served the Jewish community and the Jewish Center of Williamsbridge for over fifty years.
Dates: undated, 1921-2002
Identifier: AR 966
Abstract This collection documents the history and some of the activities of the Kartell-Convent deutscher Studenten jüdischen Glaubens and its American successor organizations. Among the records are financial papers, organizational correspondence, published and unpublished essays and articles, photographs, autograph books, meeting minutes and reports and publications.
Dates: 1867-2003; Majority of material found within 1965-1999
Identifier: AR 207
Abstract This collection contains several business papers of the cotton mill M. S. Landauer in Hürben, Baden-Württemberg, and Augsburg, Bavaria, as well as several Landauer family documents and some correspondence. A large second series consists of extensive Landauer family trees.
Identifier: AR 6146
Abstract This collection includes theater programs, clippings, a company history, and a few personal documents and papers pertaining to the maternal relatives of Margot Gerson née Horwitz, including the Stern family (especially the opera singer Frieda Ernesti (Lachmann-Stern), the Hess/Hessdörffer families, and the Schiff family.
Abstract The Michaelson family papers include early family correspondence, documents, and ephemera; genealogical research conducted by Ms. Appleby, Anna's granddaughter; copies of New York City marriage certificates kept by Louis/Lewis B. Michaelson, Rabbi, between 1906-1907; and Anna Michaelson's copies of original birth records that she kept as midwife in the Lower East Side in New York City between 1892-1916. The collection is valuable for researchers interested in the Lower East Side between 1890-1920, Russian immigration to the United States, acculturation of immigrant families to America, midwives, the Jewish communities in Portsmouth, New Hampshire and Trenton, New Jersey, the Boys Institute in the Lower East Side, and the National Committee for Relief of Sufferers by Russian Massacres. In addition, this collection is rich in genealogy material, for researchers interested in the Michaelson family, births in the Lower East Side between 1892-1916, and marriages in New York City between 1907-1909. The collection contains correspondence, a family tree, birth certificates, memo pads, marriage certificates, meeting minutes, photographs, and a prescription pad.
Dates: undated, 1892-1920, 1943-1944, 1965, 1992, 1994, 1999-2000
Abstract The Mordecai Sheftall collection consists of the family papers and business records of the American Revolution patriot, Mordecai Sheftall, and the Sheftall family of Savannah, Georgia from 1761-1873. This collection includes a American Revolution provision returns (1777-1778), and correspondence for the Continental Army and Navy of Georgia and South Carolina. The collection also includes an original Works Progress Administration Guide to the materials.
Dates: undated, 1761-1867, 1873, 1932, 1941; Majority of material found within 1977 - 1978
Abstract The collection documents the National Jewish Welfare Board's (JWB) evolution from an organization founded in 1917 to provide support for soldiers in times of war to an agency involved in all aspects of Jewish life both in the United States and abroad. In 1990 JWB recreated itself as the Jewish Community Centers Association of North America.
Dates: undated, 1889-1995 (bulk 1917-1990)
Identifier: AR 7030
Abstract The collection contains papers including vital documents, membership cards, awards, medals, diaries, memoirs, diaries, manuscripts, legal papers, correspondence, business records, wills, genealogies and family histories regarding the Pinkus family, notable textile manufacturers in Neustadt (now Prudnik, Poland) in Upper Silesia, and their personal and business affairs. The family was also highly regarded for its support of civic and cultural affairs in the area, and corresponded with several notable cultural figures.
Dates: 1500s-1994,; Majority of material found within 1725-1994
Abstract The Baron de Hirsch Fund Records document the organization's involvement in the planning of agricultural communities across the United States and to some extent in South America; the founding and administrative dealings of agricultural and trade schools; the establishment of the Jewish Agricultural Society; and the business records of the Fund itself. In addition, the collection documents the protection offered to immigrants through port work, relief, temporary aid, promotion of suburban industrial enterprises and removal from urban centers through the Industrial Removal Office, land settlement, agricultural training, and trade and general education. In this respect, the collection is of major interest for Jewish genealogists as it documents a number of individual immigrants. In addition, the collection contains documentation on the administration and organization of the fund, documentation on Jewish farming colonies such as the Jewish Agricultural Society, Woodbine Colony and Agricultural School, and documentation on the Baron de Hirsch Trade School. In addition, the collection contains blueprints and photographs of facilities.
Dates: undated, 1819-1991; Majority of material found within 1882 - 1935
Identifier: RG 1627
Abstract The Bronx Bakers Mutual Aid Association was founded “by bakers and for bakers” in 1913. It provided financial support to sick or unemployed members, helped cover burial experiences for members who passed away, and held social events. The records primarily contain financial records, including dues books and ledgers of benefits paid, but also include minute books detailing the meetings that took place and the constitutions that established the rules and operations of the association.
Abstract This collection contains histories of the Asylum (1878-1939), Certificate of Incorporation (1878, 1900, 1926), Constitution and By-Laws (1894), Board of Directors Minutes (1921-1953), Annual Reports (1878-1958), Admission and Discharge Records (1899-1960), Women's Auxiliary Minutes (1922-1955), a statistical report (1957), papers re the Asylum's merger with the Jewish Child Care Association (1960), and various Alumni Society Publications and Scrapbooks (1912-1940).
Dates: undated, 1878-1972, 1994, 1995, 2008
Identifier: RG 685
Abstract The Records of the Forward Association collection consists of the administrative records of the Office of the General Manager of the Forward Association, publisher of the Jewish Daily Forward. The collection contains correspondence, financial materials, minutes, reports, and information related to various anniversary celebrations. These materials serve to illustrate the professional activities of the Forward Association and its General Manager and show the Forward’s importance.
Dates: 1913-1972, 1986-1987
Identifier: RG 12
Abstract Part of the Lithuanian Kingdom from the beginning of the fourteenth century, and the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth from the mid-sixteenth century, Minsk was annexed to the Russian Empire in 1793, following the second partition of Poland. Under tsarist rule, the city became the capital of the Minsk province. From 1920 to 1991, it was the capital of the Belorussian Soviet Socialist Republic (BSSR). At present, Minsk is the capital of the Republic of Belarus. The Records of the Minsk Jewish Community Council, or Kahal, are a fragment of the original archives of the Minsk Jewish community, which dates back to the sixteenth century. Most of the documents in this collection, which covers the tsarist period from the 1820s to the 1917 Russian Revolution, were assembled between the last decade of the nineteenth and the beginning of the twentieth century. The collection is of fragmentary nature, and consists of miscellaneous materials that relate to the role and activities of the Minsk Kahal in Jewish life; the relation between the Jewish body politic and local authorities; and between the Jewish body politic and the Jewish residents in the Minsk province
Abstract Spanning from its inception and incorporation in 1925 to its culmination in 2002, the Queens Jewish Center collection highlights this congregation's wide-range of religiously oriented and secular educational activities, ceremonies, developments, events, and programs. Predominant in this collection are the reports, bulletins, financial, legal and property records, and meeting minutes. In addition, books, clippings, correspondence, pamphlets, programs, publications, negatives photographs are also contained with in this collections.
Dates: undated, 1897, 1925-2002
Abstract This collection documents the research of Jewish historian Samuel Oppenheim (1857-1928) concerning the lives of colonial Jews in the Americas, and the early history of the United States. Included in the collection are his notes, transcripts of original works, photocopies of the records of the Dutch West India Company, correspondence relating to his research, his writings, and original documents from the Mayor’s Court of the City of New York that date from 1653-1760.
Dates: undated, 1614-1938
Identifier: RG 33
Abstract This collection consists of materials relating to Jewish life in countries around the world from 1778-1957. Topics include cultural and educational organizations, political parties and elections, charitable institutions, labor, and religious life.
Dates: undated, 1778-1957; Majority of material found within 1809-1942
Identifier: AR 6412
Abstract This collection contains family trees of Wolf and Landauer families, as well as various address books and customer lists dating to the turn of the twentieth century, pertaining to the textile firm W. Wolf & Söhne, active both in Stuttgart and in Boston, Massachusetts.