Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
Found in 20 Collections and/or Records:
Identifier: AR 11904
Identifier: AR 138 / MF 1110
Identifier: AR 4196
Identifier: AR 379
Abstract Various decrees issued by rulers before emancipation to the Jewish communities of the towns and provinces of Alsace, Augsburg, Austria, Baden, Bamberg, Berlin, Bohemia, Brandenburg, Braunschweig, Breslau, Cassel, Cologne, Dresden, Eisenach, Frankfurt am Main, Hanau, Hanover, Helmstaedt, Hessen, Karlsruhe, Leipzig, Nassau, Nuremberg, Palatinate, Potsdam, Prussia, Rawicz, Rheinfels, Saxony, Schleswig, Schwerin, Vienna, Weinheim, Wolfenbuettel, and Wuerzburg. The decrees concern many aspects of life, including economic activity and taxation, settlement rights, and the regulation of the internal life of the Jewish communities.
Identifier: AR 3086 / MF 568
Abstract The collection contains three circumcision registers (Mohelbuecher) with some entries from Prague, 1816 and Baiersdorf, 1819 and mostly from Munich, 1826-1885. In addition there is a ‘Memorbuch’ from Fuerth, Bavaria.
Identifier: AR 4237
Abstract The Frederick Brunner Collection incorporates the research of the banker and LBI board chairman Frederick Brunner. Prominent subjects encompassed in this research include the Rothschild family and the history of Jews in Landau in der Pfalz. Some research on banking history and Jews as bankers may also be found here. The collection contains extensive newspaper clippings, articles, correspondence, notes, genealogical tables and family trees, and a few photographs.
Dates: 1711-1972; Majority of material found within 1930-1970
Identifier: AR 7076
Abstract Multilingual German army proclamations issued during World War I, in Vilna, Warsaw, and German General Headquarters for the Eastern Front, containing regulations, announcements, warnings, war dispatches, and election list for Jewish elections in Liebau (today Leipaja, Latvia).
Identifier: AR 2931 / MF 632
Abstract The collection contains original documents from the first half of the 19th century regarding decrees made affecting the Jewish community, found in folder 1. Folder 2 contains the programs accompanying the 1992 and 1994 award of the Hedwig-Burgheim Medaille, given in 1992 to Rabbi Henry G. Brandt, the program also includes articles commemorating the 50th anniversary of deportation. The 1994 award was given to provost Helmut Grün and the book includes documentation on rebuilding of synagogue in Giessen.
Identifier: AR 25457
Abstract This collection contains materials relating to Isfried and Ilse Hahn and their family. It includes official and educational documents relating directly to Isfried and Ilse Hahn, such as property lists, residence permits, military service papers, and immigration and naturalization papers, as well as restitution and financial documents. Among the materials concerning the Hahn's relatives and ancestors are 19th-century commercial documents from the Voehl family of Gedern and Nidda in Oberhessen, Germany, as well as other correspondence, photographs, and genealogical materials relating to the Hahn, Meyer, Levi, and Voehl families.
Identifier: AR 64 / MF 515;
Abstract Correspondence of Ismar Elbogen with individuals, including Elias Auerbach, Julius Bab, Leo Baeck, Salo Baron, Markus Brann, Martin Buber, Umberto Cassuto, Ludwig Feuchtwanger, Ludwig Geiger, Robert Raphael Geis, Louis Ginzburg, Ignaz Goldziher, Max Gruenewald, Moritz Güdemann, Julius Guttmann, Bernhard Kahn, Mordechai Kaplan, Adolf Leschnitzer, Lily Montagu, Claude Montefiore, Adolph Oko, Paula Ollendorf, Bertha Pappenheim, Felix Perles, Koppel Pinson, Peter Reinhold, Julius Rosenwald, Cecil Roth, Caesar Seligmann, Selma Stern-Taeubler, Henrietta Szold, Hermann Vogelstein, and Stephen Wise.
Dates: 1703, 1809, 1842-1999
Identifier: AR 25034 / MF 473
Identifier: AR 7276 / MF 572
Abstract Correspondence of Karl Adler with individuals, including Theodor Baeuerle, Martin Buber, Alexander Dillmann, Theodor Heuss, Paul Hindemith, Otto Hirsch, Kurt Georg Kiesinger, Paul Rieger, and Hans Walz; correspondence with family members, including letters written as a soldier during World War I and the November Revolution.
Identifier: AR 3560
Abstract The Laupheim Community Collection consists almost exclusively of photocopied documents from the 18th through the first half of the 20th century which document the life of the Jewish Community in Laupheim, a city in Baden-Württemberg.
Identifier: AR 3220
Identifier: AR 1598 / MF 696
Abstract Folder 1 contains a photocopy and transcript of a letter concerning the establishment of a physician in Posen (9/4/1937), Blaetter des Verbandes juedischer Heimatvereine No. 11/7 (July 1937) with article about the old market and the Jewish cemetery in Posen, program of the inauguration of the Jewish hospital in Posen (6/18/1895), regulations concerning the Jewish cemetery in Posen (10/1/1902), envelope of the Verband der Deutschen Juden in Berlin addressed to Rabbi Bloch in Posen with photo of the old Taharah house 1598 in the old Jewish cemetery on Theaterstrasse (n.d.), regulations concerning the "Repraesentanten-Versammlungen der israelitischen Corporationen" in Posen (7/1/1834), pamphlet "Aufruf" of the Central-Verein zur Begruendung der Colonisation der Juden in der Provinz Posen (4/7/1846), Amtsblatt der Koeniglichen Regierung zu Posen with police order regarding Jewish funerals, newspaper clipping and letter concerning C. C. Aronsfeld's "Memories of a Posen Childhood" by Margarete Jacoby-Orgler and Gustav Jacoby (1980), manuscript "Die Abwanderung der Juden aus der Provinz Posen - Denkschrift im Auftrage des Verbandes der Deutschen Juden" by Bernhard Breslauer (1909).
Identifier: RG 12
Abstract Part of the Lithuanian Kingdom from the beginning of the fourteenth century, and the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth from the mid-sixteenth century, Minsk was annexed to the Russian Empire in 1793, following the second partition of Poland. Under tsarist rule, the city became the capital of the Minsk province. From 1920 to 1991, it was the capital of the Belorussian Soviet Socialist Republic (BSSR). At present, Minsk is the capital of the Republic of Belarus. The Records of the Minsk Jewish Community Council, or Kahal, are a fragment of the original archives of the Minsk Jewish community, which dates back to the sixteenth century. Most of the documents in this collection, which covers the tsarist period from the 1820s to the 1917 Russian Revolution, were assembled between the last decade of the nineteenth and the beginning of the twentieth century. The collection is of fragmentary nature, and consists of miscellaneous materials that relate to the role and activities of the Minsk Kahal in Jewish life; the relation between the Jewish body politic and local authorities; and between the Jewish body politic and the Jewish residents in the Minsk province
Identifier: AR 285
Identifier: RG 87
Abstract This collection consists of materials gathered by Simon Dubnow, an influential political thinker, educator, writer, activist, and preeminent historian of Russian Jewry. The materials reflect central subjects of his historical research, such as communal organization, persecutions, and Hasidism, as well as pressing issues of his time, most significantly pogroms and the question of Jewish emancipation. Much of the material comprises information meticulously copied and sent to Dubnow by individuals throughout the Russian Empire for the purpose of aiding his research. The collection demonstrates Dubnow's importance in helping to establish the idea of Jewish ethnographic history.
Dates: 1632-1938; Majority of material found within 1700-1900
Identifier: AR 25802
Identifier: AR 7064
Abstract This collection documents the genealogical research of the lawyer Walther Meyer. Among the many families mentioned here are branches of the Meyer, Eger, Oppenheimer, Borchardt, Neufeld, Ballin, Wertheimer, and Wallach families. Material on them includes many drafts of family trees as well as exchanges of genealogical research correspondence. This collection also contains official decrees and announcements pertaining to the Jewish communities of Hannover from the 1800s.
Dates: 1809-1977; Majority of material found within 1831-1939