Charities -- New York (State) -- New York
Found in 16 Collections and/or Records:
East Side Emergency Loan Fund form letter
Collection consists of a form letter signed by prominent New York Jews appealing for contributions to set up an emergency loan fund for victims of a sudden rash of bank failures on the Lower East Side. Julius Goldman acted as treasurer.
German Hebrew Benevolent Society of the City of New York certificate of incorporation
Hebrew Infant Asylum of the City of New York records
Collection contains bound records from the administrative activities of the Hebrew Infant Asylum, including annual reports, board meeting minutes, reports of the admitting physicians, and the admission and discharge records of children.
Hebrew Relief Society (New York, N.Y.) records
Collection contains a manuscript list of subscribers to the original society, signed by Asher Kursheedt, and printed copies of the Society's act of incorporation and by-laws, listing the officers, board of managers, and members for 1926.
Home of the Daughters of Jacob Souvenir Journals and Annual Reports
This collection consists of souvenir journals from annual events and annual reports.
Joseph Isaac Bluestone (1860-1934) Collection
Contains the memoirs and scrapbooks of Bluestone, concerning his numerous communal activities, especially those in the Zionist movement. A description of the collection was published by Hyman B. Grinstein in Publications of the American Jewish Historical Society, no. 35 (1939), and a detailed inventory was prepared by Harry Bluestone (n.d.).
Kurt E. Reinsberg Collection
The collection contains a report by Kurt E. Reinsberg on his investigation by the Federal Bureau of Investigation during the early 1940s, after he was denounced as a German collaborator. The report includes redacted copies of the files the FBI kept on him. Also included are circulars and clippings pertaining to the Jewish community of Fulda and a membership roster and constitution and by-laws for the Isachar Widows and Orphans Benevolent Society.
Records of the Association for Free Distribution of Matsot to the Poor (New York, N.Y.)
This collection contains accounts, lists, receipts, and reports of the committees appointed by the Jewish Community of New York for the years 1855 and 1858, to provide matzoth for Passover to the needy Jewish families of the city.
Records of the Baron de Hirsch Fund
The Baron de Hirsch Fund Records document the organization's involvement in the planning of agricultural communities across the United States and to some extent in South America; the founding and administrative dealings of agricultural and trade schools; the establishment of the Jewish Agricultural Society; and the business records of the Fund itself. In addition, the collection documents the protection offered to immigrants through port work, relief, temporary aid, promotion of suburban industrial enterprises and removal from urban centers through the Industrial Removal Office, land settlement, agricultural training, and trade and general education. In this respect, the collection is of major interest for Jewish genealogists as it documents a number of individual immigrants. In addition, the collection contains documentation on the administration and organization of the fund, documentation on Jewish farming colonies such as the Jewish Agricultural Society, Woodbine Colony and Agricultural School, and documentation on the Baron de Hirsch Trade School. In addition, the collection contains blueprints and photographs of facilities.
Records of the Hebrew Benevolent Society of the City of New York
This collection consists of the Society's constitution (photocopy) and a financial statement (1862) containing reference to money spent on a new building for an orphan asylum, and a receipt for an appropriation by the City Council of New York for the erection of the asylum by the Society.
Records of the Jewish Child Care Association of New York
This collection contains files relating to the history, mergers and functions of the Association, By-Laws (1960), Committees' records, President's reports (1949-1952), Executive Director's reports (1949-1952), Treasurer's reports (1945, 1948-1949), annual reports (1972, 1984-1990), and papers re various activities, including Childville, Edenwald, Foster Home Department (including material from the European Jewish Children's Aid Project), Friendly Home for Girls, Girls' Club Group Residence, Pleasantville, Psychiatric Clinic, Social Services Department, Sylvan Stix Workshop, and Vocational Services. Includes also statistical reports (1946-1970), and Studies on the Association (1949-1972), the Manual of Policies and Procedures (1972), and files on child care conferences, property sales, annual dinners, awards and ceremonies, the 75th anniversary celebration, the 150th anniversary celebration, Herman W. Block, the Child Care Alumni Council (1954-1964), the League to Aid Hebrew Infants (1948-1953), studies and papers by Association staff, memos, publications ("P.C.S. World," "Bulletin," "Our Children," "JCCA journal"), promotional material, photographs, and voluminous scrapbooks.
Records of the Jewish Children's Clearing Bureau (New York, N.Y.)
This collection contains the By-Laws (1923), minutes of the Board of Directors (1927-1938), Published report (1922-1924), and Annual Report (1933) of the Jewish Children's Clearing Bureau. Also includes case studies and correspondence.
Records of the Jewish Immigration Committee (New York, N.Y.)
This colleciton contains constitutions, by-laws, meeting minutes (1908-1917), Budget Committee minutes (1909-1910), the Ellis Island Committee attempt to centralize immigrant relief work in 1909, and the Special Committee "to investigate complaints ... duplication of work and other grievances, preferred by the Clara de Hirsch School for Immigrant Girls and by the Council of Jewish Women against the Hebrew Sheltering and Immigrant Aid Society.".
Records of the Jewish Sisters Mutual Aid Society
This collection contains the minutes (1920-22, 1929-1936, 1943-1944) of the Society, financial records (1927-1940, 1943-1958), membership records (1921-1926, 1937-1955) and records of interest-free loans made (1921-1927, 1939-1942) and repayments, as well as information on various social activities conducted by the Society from 1928 to 1957. Correspondences are also included.
Society of Jewish Social Workers (New York, N.Y.) records
This collection contains minutes of the Executive Committee meetings (1909-1912) and of the Committee on the Registration Bureau (1911-1912), to form an interagency bureau to register applicants for assistance. Includes listing of lecture courses and the correspondence of Philip D. Bookstaber, Louis Dembitz Brandeis, Morris Loeb, H.L. Sabsovich, and the New York Kehillah pertaining to the work of the society.
United Jewish Appeal-Federation of New York collection
United Jewish Appeal-Federation of Jewish Philanthropies of New York is the organization that resulted from the mergers of various New York federations with the New York office of UJA. UJA-Federation and its predecessor organizations have been a central force for communal planning and philanthropy in the New York Jewish community since 1917, and in overseas Jewish communities since 1939. The largest section of this collection covers the Federation of Jewish Philanthropies and its predecessor organizations in Manhattan, the Bronx and Brooklyn. Important subject areas include Federation’s work with their affiliated agencies including detailed budget files through most of the 20th century; UJA’s programs in Israel and campaigns in New York during the 1960s and 1970s; an overview of the UJA-Federation Joint Campaign 1974-1986; and the day to day work of the successfully merged organizations 1986-2000.