Orphans and orphan-asylums
Found in 9 Collections and/or Records:
This collection conists of an undated record book of the Society, listing members and donations.
The Hebrew Sheltering Guardian Society, founded in 1879, merged with the Jewish Child Care Association of New York in 1940. This collection includes administrative records consisting of annual reports, Board of Directors' annual reports and meeting minutes, a limited amount of committee reports, financial records, donation books, and property records. The collection also includes children admission and discharge ledgers, which date from 1898 to 1942, with gaps. Please note that children records dated after 1925 are restricted for privacy reasons. Additional material regarding orphan life is available through student publications and programs, alumni newsletters and programs, and HSGS promotional material. Affiliated organizational records include material on Fellowship House, an after care service; Foster Home Bureau, including newsletters recruiting foster parents and records of its Baby Department; and alumni associations. Of additional interest are dedications and speeches held during the inauguration of Pleasantville, child care study papers, histories, and material concerning the New York Federation for the Support of Jewish Philanthropic Societies merger.
Collection contains the surviving briefs (cases and points) of the City Court (until 1883, the Marine Court) of the City of New York, a statutory court of inferior civil jurisdiction within the County of New York and with limited maritime jurisdiction. The briefs were randomly selected from archives which were subsequently destroyed and represent primarily 1872-1881, 1884-1901, and 1904-1907, with some examples 1860-1871 and 1882. A sampling suggests that Jews were involved in 20-30 percent of these cases.
This collection contains histories of the Asylum (1878-1939), Certificate of Incorporation (1878, 1900, 1926), Constitution and By-Laws (1894), Board of Directors Minutes (1921-1953), Annual Reports (1878-1958), Admission and Discharge Records (1899-1960), Women's Auxiliary Minutes (1922-1955), a statistical report (1957), papers re the Asylum's merger with the Jewish Child Care Association (1960), and various Alumni Society Publications and Scrapbooks (1912-1940).
This collection includes papers of its predecessor organizations, Hebrew National Orphan Homes (Certificate of Incorporation, 1927 ; Board of Directors Minutes, 1939-1944 ; assistance to European Jewish Children's Aid program) ; and Israel Orphan Asylum (publications) ; H-H Board of Directors Minutes (1959) ; and publications and promotional materials of the several organizations (1928-1970).
This collection consists of the Society's constitution (photocopy) and a financial statement (1862) containing reference to money spent on a new building for an orphan asylum, and a receipt for an appropriation by the City Council of New York for the erection of the asylum by the Society.
This collection contains the By-Laws (1923), minutes of the Board of Directors (1927-1938), Published report (1922-1924), and Annual Report (1933) of the Jewish Children's Clearing Bureau. Also includes case studies and correspondence.
This collection contains Board of Directors and Executive Committee Minutes (1940), Educational Fund Minutes (1940-1941), Reports (1940-1944), Budgets (1940-1942), Studies of the Academy (1940-1943), "Study of Child Caring Agencies, 1940-1941" (issued with Jewish Board of Guardians), a scrapbook of Association activities, and Association publications.
Contains the surviving papers of Rabbi Tobias Geffen who served as a rabbi in New York City (1904-1907), Canton, Ohio (1907-1910), and Atlanta, Georgia (1910-1970). Includes extensive correspondence with members of his family, autobiographies in Yiddish and English (several versions) and other material relating to his personal life.