Found in 11 Collections and/or Records:
The Abe Grubère collection documents the work of Abe Grubère (also known as Abraham Gruber), a New York City fashion designer, active in the field of fashion from the 1920s to the 1960s. The papers reflect the work of Grubère as a designer and also document his involvement with the Central High School for Needle Trades, where he helped to organize a class that was held at the Brooklyn Museum of Art in the summer of 1942. Although the bulk of the documents found in the collection consists of sketches, the collection also includes clippings, booklets, correspondence, financial documentation, and materials pertaining to Grubère's teaching activities.
This collection contains papers of various members of the Braun family of Nuremberg, as well as the related Bernhard, Busse and Orfali families. Included are a variety of materials: diaries, household budget and account books, lists, travel diaries, poetry, correspondence, family trees, sketchbooks and a few official papers.
The bulk of the Emil Carl Grossmann Collection is comprised of albums of photographs taken by Grossmann during his travels in Europe, mostly throughout his native Austria, and the United States from the early 1920s through early 1940s. A significant portion of one album documents trips to various Austrian spa towns, as well as tours through the states of Burgenland and Carinthia during summers and holidays. Another noteworthy portion of the album deals with Grossmann’s extended visits to the United States, particularly New York City, in 1929 and 1937. During these trips, he photographed New York’s landmarks, neighborhoods, parks, and major streets. A second photograph album is dedicated exclusively to photographs Emil Carl Grossmann took at the 1939 New York World’s Fair. In addition to Grossmann’s albums of photography, a third album holds a collection of theater programs for plays, musicals, and operas he attended from 1922 to 1938, mostly at various theaters in Vienna.
This collection details the lives and immigration experiences of Herta and Leo Leab. Given Herta Leab's experience as an executive in the Scherk cosmetics company and as the owner of her own company, Hedda Maar Cosmetics, it includes significant material on the cosmetics industry in Germany and the United States. Losses suffered by the Marcus, Liebeskind, and Scherk families in Nazi Germany and the Leabs' efforts to receive restitution are also well documented, along with some material on the town of Gilgenburg (now Dabrowno, Poland) and World War I. The collection is comprised of extensive personal and business correspondence, family and official papers, notebooks, clippings, and a few photographs.
The Hirsch Family, Halberstadt Collection documents the lives of Hirsch family members in the city of Halberstadt and the business of Aron Hirsch & Sohn located there. Included in the collection are personal papers such as vital documents and correspondence, business records including balance sheets and account books, correspondence, certificates and official announcements. Other papers include family trees, genealogical notes, and articles and essays about the family and their business.
The Lipsky Family Papers reflect the professional and personal activities of Eleazar Lipsky (1911-1993), his father, Zionist leader Louis Lipsky (1876-1963), and his mother, Charlotte Lipsky (1879-1959), as well as other family members. Eleazar Lipsky was a lawyer, novelist, Zionist and the head of the Jewish Telegraphic Agency in the early 1960s. While working on a multi-part family novel, Eleazar Lipsky gathered and arranged much of the family material in this collection. In addition to family history, the collection contains information on the American Zionist movement, Bernard Richards’s role in the Committee of Jewish Delegations at the 1919 Paris Peace Conference, and various legal battles involving such parties as the Jewish Week, the American Examiner, Doubleday, Philip Hochstein and Lillie Shultz. The materials include correspondence, an unfinished manuscript, legal transcripts, clippings, speeches, research materials, financial documents, miscellaneous writings and a few photographs.
This collection contains the records of the National Refugee Service (NRS), a refugee aid organization founded in New York City in 1939 to assist refugees fleeing Nazi persecution. A successor agency to the National Coordinating Committee for Aid to Refugees and Emigrants Coming from Germany, which had operated as an umbrella organization of refugee aid agencies since 1934, the NRS remained in existence until 1946, when it was merged into the new organization United Service for New Americans. The NRS program encompassed a migration service that assisted with affidavits, visas and other legal aspects of the immigration process; temporary relief and casework services; job placement, retraining, and small business loans; help in resettling to localities throughout the country; and social and cultural adjustment to American life. The records include minutes, correspondence, memoranda, and reports related to the board of directors; the executive director; lay advisory committees; the various departments within the NRS; special committees assisting professional groups, including physicians, musicians, rabbis, social workers, and scholars; and cooperating refugee-assistance committees and organizations across the United States.
The Salomon Heilberg Collection documents the real estate holdings of Salomon Heilberg, their sale, purchase and taxation, as well as providing further information on his financial interactions with others. A very small amount of information on other family members is also present. The collection consists of legal and financial information and forms, land register entries, mortgage cancellation forms, tax papers, loan agreements, an account book, clippings and a birth certificate.
Record Group 1.1, the primary collection of records from the period when YIVO was headquartered in Vilna, reflects the wide range of activities YIVO engaged in from 1925-1941. Founded as an institute for the study of Yiddish speaking Jewry, YIVO grew to become a research institute, library, archive, and graduate program in one. The collection consists primarily of administrative material such as correspondence, financial records, minutes, reports, lists, and newspaper clippings, as well as essays and publications of the Aspirantur, Division of Youth Research, and the Economic-Statistical, Psychological-Pedagogical, and Philological sections. It incorporates material generated by the Vilna office, satellite offices in Berlin, Warsaw, and New York, and by supporters and collectors throughout Poland, Europe, and indeed the world.