Found in 131 Collections and/or Records:
Ruth Sapin Hurwitz was a social worker, teacher, writer, lecturer and proponent of Jewish Cultural heritage and ideas. The Ruth Sapin Hurwitz Photograph Album contains black and white photographs taken by Hurwitz during her time as a student at Wellesley College (1906-1910). The album includes undated handwritten captions and provides a look into women’s college life during the early part of the 20th century. Images capture campus activities such as studying, theatre performances, and social events. Also included are images from Hurwitz trips to Europe and across the United States.
The materials in this record group document the entirety of Hadassah’s history and work in Israel and the United States in photographs—prints, slides, glass lantern plates, and digital images.
The collection contains papers including vital documents, membership cards, awards, medals, diaries, memoirs, diaries, manuscripts, legal papers, correspondence, business records, wills, genealogies and family histories regarding the Pinkus family, notable textile manufacturers in Neustadt (now Prudnik, Poland) in Upper Silesia, and their personal and business affairs. The family was also highly regarded for its support of civic and cultural affairs in the area, and corresponded with several notable cultural figures.
This collection consists of papers of Ray (Rachel) Frank, the first Jewish woman to preach formally from a pulpit in the United States. It contains correspondence relating to her personal life; her activities as an author and lecturer; programs; and printed and manuscript copies of sermons, speeches, and writings by Frank. There is also a scrapbook (1879-1901) of newspaper clippings of articles by and about Frank, reflecting her view on women's suffrage, Judaism, and other topics.
Minute books, 1911-1947, financial records, including records of donations. Minutes of the Ladies Auxiliary. Two scrapbooks containing program announcements and newspaper clippings relating to the activities of the Rumanian American Congregation, the Ladies Auxiliary, the Rumanian Hebrew Beneficial Association. Book with data on candidates for congregation offices. Miscellaneous items including tickets for the High Holy Days, notices of meetings, insurance records.
The records of Temple Beth El offer a valuable insight into a small town Southern Jewish community. The community members, composed mainly of German Jews devoted to the Reform movement, participated actively in charity work and mutual benefit societies, and maintained a close relationship with Jewish communities throughout the South. Temple Beth El was one of the first members of the Union of American Hebrew Congregations. Its history reflects the struggles a small town Jewish community experienced in maintaining their Jewish identity as well as the cooperation and acceptance of their non-Jewish neighbors. A significant part of the collection concerns the activities of women in the Helena Jewish community, who were a tight knit group that conducted extensive charity work. The Sisterhood took an active role as member of the Mississippi-Arkansas Federation of Temple Sisterhoods. The records also include minute books for the B'nai B'rith Esther Lodge. The collection contains correspondence, real estate deeds, financial ledgers, minute meetings, news clippings, a scrapbook, and photographs.
This collection contains histories of the Asylum (1878-1939), Certificate of Incorporation (1878, 1900, 1926), Constitution and By-Laws (1894), Board of Directors Minutes (1921-1953), Annual Reports (1878-1958), Admission and Discharge Records (1899-1960), Women's Auxiliary Minutes (1922-1955), a statistical report (1957), papers re the Asylum's merger with the Jewish Child Care Association (1960), and various Alumni Society Publications and Scrapbooks (1912-1940).
This collection contains the administrative records of the Hebrew Actors’ Union (HAU), the professional union of Yiddish theater performers, which was based in New York City. Materials include correspondence, membership materials, financial records and members’ dues information, meeting minutes, and a great deal of sheet music and play scripts of performances from the Yiddish theater. A majority of these performances were in New York City, but there are also materials from Philadelphia, Chicago, Boston, Toronto, and Montreal, as well as various locations in Israel and South America.
This collection contains files relating to the history, mergers and functions of the Association, By-Laws (1960), Committees' records, President's reports (1949-1952), Executive Director's reports (1949-1952), Treasurer's reports (1945, 1948-1949), annual reports (1972, 1984-1990), and papers re various activities, including Childville, Edenwald, Foster Home Department (including material from the European Jewish Children's Aid Project), Friendly Home for Girls, Girls' Club Group Residence, Pleasantville, Psychiatric Clinic, Social Services Department, Sylvan Stix Workshop, and Vocational Services. Includes also statistical reports (1946-1970), and Studies on the Association (1949-1972), the Manual of Policies and Procedures (1972), and files on child care conferences, property sales, annual dinners, awards and ceremonies, the 75th anniversary celebration, the 150th anniversary celebration, Herman W. Block, the Child Care Alumni Council (1954-1964), the League to Aid Hebrew Infants (1948-1953), studies and papers by Association staff, memos, publications ("P.C.S. World," "Bulletin," "Our Children," "JCCA journal"), promotional material, photographs, and voluminous scrapbooks.
The records of the National Council of Jewish Women, New York Section document the organization's community service, advocacy, and supportive administrative, fundraising, membership, and public relations activities from the Section's early years to the present. Included is a large amount of material from the National Organization in relation to the New York Section. This material is dated from 1896 to 1999 and consists of administrative, events, and advocacy matters. The New York Section's community services files include its work on aging, child care, consumer telephone referrals, counseling support, crime prevention, the disabled, domestic violence, early child education, feminism, homelessness, hunger, immigrants, Israel, Jewish education and promotion, literacy, probation, the sick, summer recreation for children and the elderly, and war relief. The Section's advocacy files consist of lobbying efforts for the rights of children, the disabled, the elderly, families, the homeless, immigrants, Israel, and women. The collection is primarily in English, with some Hebrew, Yiddish, German, Greek, Spanish, Chinese, and Italian. Among the types of material are audio tapes, blueprints, correspondence, minutes, photographs, publications, scrapbooks, and scripts.
Spanning from its inception and incorporation in 1925 to its culmination in 2002, the Queens Jewish Center collection highlights this congregation's wide-range of religiously oriented and secular educational activities, ceremonies, developments, events, and programs. Predominant in this collection are the reports, bulletins, financial, legal and property records, and meeting minutes. In addition, books, clippings, correspondence, pamphlets, programs, publications, negatives photographs are also contained with in this collections.
Constitution; Incorporation document (1910); Minutes (1930-1949); Financial records (1930-1985); Correspondence; Anniversary journals (1934-1954); Cemetery deeds; Membership ledger (1969-1978); Scrapbook, diary, travel accounts of Samuel Kipnis (1922-1963); Book published by the Radomysler Ladies Auxiliary of Chicago; Liquidation documents; Photograph.
This collection contains several types of materials relating to the various activities of the Society for the Advancement of Judaism, including published bulletins, yearbooks, correspondence, newspaper clippings, audio recordings, and photographs. This collection also contains disbound scrapbooks, some of which are extremely fragile.
This collection consists of document scrap books, publications, meeting minutes, as well as programs, essays and addresses pertaining to the community activities of the Young Men's Hebrew Association, the Young Women's Hebrew Association, and their merged assocation, the YM-YWCA.
This collection contains the documents of diplomat Richard Straus, his wife Elaine, and his son Alan in addition to documentation on his extended family members, especially including members of the Straus, Heimberger, and Niedermann families. The most prominent topics in the collection relate to Richard Straus's role as diplomat, family members' emigration and Holocaust experiences, and Alan Straus's early life, although material relating to family members' lives in Germany prior to the 1930s is also present. The collection includes extensive personal family correspondence and photographs; official, educational, and professional documents; family members' writings as well as articles about them; childhood and educational memorabilia; and documentation related to the deaths of family members.
The Robert Lowy Family Collection details the immigration of the Lowy family to the United States via Belgium. It also features the restitution of the family for its losses and the education of Robert (Ralph) Lowy. Many family members are remembered through the collection's numerous photographs. Aside from photographs and photo albums, the collection includes much correspondence, official documentation, notes and notebooks and some educational certificates of Robert Lowy.
The Robison Family Fapers reflect various activities of Adolf C. and Ann Green Robison in civic organizations, Jewish communal life, Jewish national and international affairs, and individually in the arts. The collection contains information on the origins of the United Nations; and on aid to Israel before, during, and after the War of Independence. The materials include correspondence, memoranda, minutes, reports, financial documents, newspaper clippings, photographs, diaries, scrapbooks, musical scores, and play scripts.
This collection documents the life and activities of dancer and activist Ronya Schwaab. The collection contains material related to her activities advocating for Soviet Jews, lecturing on various topics, her trips abroad, and writing reviews for numerous books. It also includes correspondence with family, friends, and various officials in both the public and non-profit spheres of politics and business. The collection contains numerous photographs and certificates that further document her activities and accomplishments.
Correspondence, 1940-1974. Reports. Materials pertaining to Bessarabian Jews in France, 1940s-1950s. Scrapbook. Newspaper clippings. Honorary citations. Photographs. Publications of: the Federation of Bessarabian Societies, Inc.; Bessarabian Federation of American Jews; Bessarabier Podolier B.S.; Federation of Bessarabian Jews in Israel 1940s-1950s. Miscellaneous publications.
The Rudolph Seiden Collection describes the life and work of Rudolph Seiden, who was a chemist and a Zionist activist. Included in this collection is personal and editorial correspondence regarding Judaism, Zionism, anti-Semitism and the proposed Jewish resettlement in Alaska in the 1930s. Unpublished manuscripts collected by Rudolph Seiden for the Foreign Authors’ Syndicate can be found in this collection as well as autographs from Max Brod, Lujo Brentano, Franz Oppenheimer, Erich Muehsam, Arthur Schnitzler and Otto Warburg.
The collection contains materials relating to Ruth Jacobsen, a Hidden Child of the Holocaust and the first female projectionist in New York. A lot of the collection is dedicated to Jacobsen’s attempt to cope with her past as a Hidden Child and sharing her testimony with others through her art. The collection is arranged into four series and six subseries. Materials in the collection include manuscripts, collage books, photographs, artworks, correspondence, and notebooks.
Papers of Sanford A. Gradinger cover the period from mid-1980’s to mid-1990’s and document the activities of the Rochester, NY businessman on behalf of Soviet Jews, his involvement with the Andrei Sakharov International Committee and his travels to Washington D. C., Soviet Union and Former Soviet Union. Materials include photographs, videocassette, CDrs, correspondence, clippings, ephemera and travel memorabilia..
This collection documents the family of Anthony Schatzky, whose parents, Eva née Gorzelanczyk Schatzky (1914-1970) and Karl Schatzky (1914-1991), lived in Breslau, Germany (now Wroclaw, Poland) until 1939 and then escaped to London. The period during which Karl and Eva lived in England (1939-1953) is the collection’s primary focus; during those 14 years, Karl and Eva lived in London, Cambridge, Shropshire, and Norwich. The largest categories of materials are handwritten and typewritten correspondence between Karl and Eva Schatzky, although there are several other letters and postcards from immediate and extended relatives, and from friends. The collection also includes memorabilia documenting Karl Schatzky’s family history as far back as 1850, along with family photographs relating mostly to Karl’s family; a few photographs feature Eva’s immediate family.
The papers relate to the theatrical careers of Witler and Lerer. The bulk of the collection is comprised of playscripts including scripts with musical scores. In addition, there are photographs of B.Z. Witler and a scrapbook of his obituaries.
The Suzanne Schrag Collection holds papers of Suzanne (née Fuchs) and Paul Schrag, as well as papers of family members, especially Suzanne's parents and Paul's maternal uncle Nathan Sulzberger. Much of the collection focuses on the lives of family members, especially as documented in their extensive family correspondence. Prominent is also the unpublished writing of Paul Schrag and Nathan Sulzberger, notably the memoirs of Paul Schrag and short stories of Nathan Sulzberger. Some official documents, especially those pertaining to the education of Paul and Suzanne Schrag are also present, along with a few photographs, notes on genealogy, and other papers.
Statistics and official reports, including data gathered in Brisk. Correspondence: from organizations, institutions in Brisk, 1919-1939; with members, committees, affiliated groups, 1920-1965; with national Jewish organizations, 1919-1973; regarding activities in Palestine/Israel, 1947-1973. Meeting notices, 1916-1978. Scrapbook including photgraphs of relief activities in Brisk. Historical memoirs. Materials pertaining to publication of memorial book. Memorial book, 1954. Records of affiliated organizations: Brisker and Vicinity Aid Society of Los Angeles, Agudas Achim Aid Society.