Found in 12 Collections and/or Records:
This collection documents the professional life of Austro-American art historian and journalist Alfred Werner (1911-1979). After being released from Dachau in 1939, Werner fled to New York. From 1940 to 1979, he wrote thousands of stories, reviews, and columns, and was an editor of or contributor to dozens of art magazines and Jewish periodicals. His primary interests were European, Jewish, and Zionist political affairs, and 19th and 20th-century European and American art, with an emphasis on Jewish and Israeli artists. The bulk of the collection consists of his published output. The collection also contains some additional professional material, such as manuscripts, research materials, and reference photographs, as well as a few personal documents.
Sephardic House was established in 1978 as a correction to the often-overlooked contributions of the Sephardic community to American-Jewish culture. The Records of Sephardic House documents the administrative, programming, and publishing activities of Sephardic House since its founding. Such documents include financial records, meeting minutes, correspondence, artist portfolios, press releases, photographs, slides, and much more.
The Gundersheimer Siegel Family Collection holds papers of the art historian and professor Hermann S. Gundersheimer as well as papers of members of the Gundersheimer and Siegel families. With a focus on the professional work of Hermann Gundersheimer and the family's emigration, the collection contains correspondence, newspaper clippings, lecture texts and notes, official documents, articles, certificates, genealogical research and family trees.
Contains reprints from various series of the artist's work on Jewish subjects, which were the result of his extensive travel to Jewish villages and cities throughout Europe and the Middle East in the 1920s and 1930s. Also included is an index (undated) of 200 of Reiss' paintings, and drawings and etchings on Jewish topics.
From its inception in 1961, the National Foundation for Jewish Culture (later known as the Foundation for Jewish Culture) supported Jewish scholarship, art, and community services. The collection primarily covers the period between 1959, when the original study proposing the creation of the NFJC was conducted by the Council of Jewish Federations and Welfare Funds (CJFWF) and 2015, when the Foundation ceased operations. The materials document organization’s support for Jewish scholarship, art, culture, and its work in strengthening the relationships between cultural institutions and local Jewish communities. The collection also documents the organization’s shift in the 1980s from scholarship to more involvement in Jewish arts and culture.
This collection documents the work of artist Irv Koons. It is mainly comprised of his professional papers, including sketches and drawings as well as many examples of his completed works. Documents found here include posters, advertisements, brochures, flyers, reports, book illustrations, clippings, photographs of the artist and his work, and a small amount of correspondence. Some biographical information on the artist is also available.
The Rachel Wischnitzer Collection contains correspondence, lecture notes, photographs, lantern slides, and negatives documenting Rachel Wischnitzer’s career as an art historian, curator, professor, consultant, and author. Also included are correspondence, records, and photographs pertaining to her husband Mark Wischnitzer’s work as a historian, editor, and Secretary General of the Hilfsverein der Deutschen Juden.
The Sampson Engoren Papers provide information on some of the work of the Jewish artist and architect. Most of the material in this collection pertains to Engoren's work, but there are also a few biographical documents as well. Although the majority of documents in this collection are large sketches, the collection also contains clippings, photographs, notes, and a log book.
Sylvia A. Herskowitz Archive documents professional and to a lesser degree personal life of Sylvia A. Herskowitz. Materials collected here shed light on her involvement with the Women's Branch of Orthodox Jewish Congregations of America and various Parent Associations. The collection consists of correspondence, documents, photographs, printed materials, sheet music, and writings.