Showing Collections: 721 - 750 of 923
The Rabbi Robert L. Lehman Collection focuses on the development of a rabbi and of his role leading his congregations. The collection includes copious sermons, substantial correspondence, articles, newspaper clippings, notes, congregational and conference publications, photographs, diplomas, and a few objects.
The Rabbi Salomon L. Vaz Dias papers consist of book manuscripts, synagogue ephemera, sheet music, and audiocassettes.
The Papers of Rabbi Samuel Geffen document his professional career as the rabbi of the Jewish Center of Forest Hills West in Queens. The collection is the result of Rabbi Geffen's work as a religious leader and educator at the Jewish Center and depicts the center's and Rabbi Geffen's role in the Jewish community there.
The records include an advisory council handbook, agendas, Board resolutions, by-laws, certificates of incorporation, correspondence, financial records, memorandum, minutes, and project outlines. Of interest is Ehud Barak's involvement in the organization, and the subsequent demand from Yitzhak Rabin's son Yuval to see the organization's legal filings, minutes, and tax forms.
The collection contains correspondence between Joachim Leser and Hendele bat Itzig from the period of their engagement between October 1803 and August 1804, as well as their engagement contract. In addition, the collection contains documents detailing the history of Jews in Niederwerrn, located in present-day Bavaria.
The Rachel Wischnitzer Collection contains correspondence, lecture notes, photographs, lantern slides, and negatives documenting Rachel Wischnitzer’s career as an art historian, curator, professor, consultant, and author. Also included are correspondence, records, and photographs pertaining to her husband Mark Wischnitzer’s work as a historian, editor, and Secretary General of the Hilfsverein der Deutschen Juden.
The Rachel Wischnitzer Collection addendum contains both personal and professional materials of both Rachel Wischnitzer and her husband Mark Wischnitzer, including correspondence, travel and immigration documentation, manuscripts (both drafts and final publications), as well family photographs and images used for academic research. Unique to this collection is personal correspondence between the Wischnitzers and their son Leonard.
The Rahn Family Collection centers on the lives of Alfred and Lilli (née Bechmann) Rahn, but also contains many documents of their parents, siblings, and even more distant family members. It also documents the family members' attempts to receive restitution for their losses. The collection includes a large amount of correspondence, official, personal, and legal documents, photographs and photo albums, financial documentation, manuscripts and fragments of creative and academic writing, family trees and genealogical notes, newspaper clippings, poetry, educational certificates and diplomas, texts of lectures, teaching materials, a few recipes, and other papers.
Papers of an American Soviet Jewry movement activist Rabbi Ralph A. Dalin that contain correspondence with Refuseniks in the Soviet Union, sermons, and reports on trips to the USSR, publications and newspaper clippings related to his activism.
This collection contains photographs and personal items of the Rafalowsky family as well as memorabilia and photographs of the Bialystoker Somech Noflim (Mutual Aid Society). Aaron Raphael was an active member in the Bialystoker Somech Noflim which operated in New York City in the early twentieth century. The Bialystoker groups were some of the most active Landmanshaftn or hometown organizations.
Raphael Lemkin, an international lawyer, initiated the use of the term "genocide," and succeeded in persuading the United Nations to adopt the Genocide Convention in 1948. Documents include personal correspondence and artifacts; correspondence, documentation, clippings, and articles regarding the United Nations adoption of the Convention on the Prevention and Punishment on the Crime of Genocide treaty; and source material for the unfinished manuscript, History of Genocide. Collection also includes photographs, identity cards, articles, papers, essays, clippings, magazines, research materials, term papers, posters, United Nations materials, and microfilm.
This collection contains the papers of the historian Raphael Straus. Mainly consisting of research material, the collection holds typescripts and manuscripts, a galley, articles, reviews, and, above all, archival notes and research notes. In addition, there is also the correspondence of Raphael Straus.
The file contains various documents relating to Recha Freier and her activities in Youth Aliyah in Germany.
The collection contains the records of the ASJ, an organization active in the Boston area, which survives today as Action for Post-Soviet Jewry, as well as those of two other organizations closely related to ASJ: the New England Student Struggle for Soviet Jewry and the Soviet Jewry Legal Advocacy Center. The bulk of the collection is from the decade starting in the late 1970s through the late 1980s. The collection includes large databases on Refuseniks, prisoners of conscience and Jewish émigrés. Along with the database spreadsheet forms there are a large number of individual files. Among these files are materials related to Soviet Jewish refugees in Italy from the time of the Ladispoli crisis of the late 1980s. The collection also includes a substantial number of reports from visits to the USSR by ASJ activists and other travelers cooperating with the Soviet Jewry Movement as well as a considerable number of photographs, posters and publications.
Founded in 1969, the American Association for Ethiopian Jews (AAEJ) was instrumental in the international effort to promote recognition of the Beta Israel (known among non-Jewish Ethiopians as "Falashas") by Israeli authorities, and to assist Jewish emigration from Ethiopia to Israel. The extensive files of the AAEJ include case work files, research materials and Jewish artifacts collected in Ethiopia by AAEJ workers. In the wake of the successful evacuation of Ethiopian Jewry to Israel in 1993, the AAEJ decided to disband and voted to deposit its records at the American Jewish Historical Society. Included are correspondence, office files, photographs, slides, videotapes, audiocassettes and other materials which pertain to AAEJ's efforts to raise the consciousness of the American Jewish community about this unique Jewish subculture. The organization's papers supplement those of its founder, Graenum Berger, which are also held at the American Jewish Historical Society.
The records of the American Jewish Congress, a national Jewish agency, concerned primarily with Jewish and other minority civil rights, include the constitution, by-laws, and minutes of the Administrative and Executive Committees and Governing Council of the Congress. The collection has materials generated by the National Biennial Conventions, Executive Directors, including Phil Baum and Henry Siegman, and the General Counsel files of Will Maslow, Commissions and the Jerusalem Conferences of Mayors, Regional Chapters, National Women's Division, Business and Professional Chapters, Public Relations, and miscellaneous activities conducted by American Jewish Congress.
Beginning as the Bureau of Education in 1910, the Board of Jewish Education is an agency of the UJA Federation of New York. Under the motto of "Preparing the Jewish Future," the Board of Jewish Education strives to "motivate, strengthen and increase Jewish identity and commitment to the Jewish people through educational services and acculturation programs in New York." The collection includes surveys, promotional documents, and publications documenting the activities of the Board of Jewish Education.
The collection contains materials related to various activities of the Congregation Mikveh Israel, one of the oldest synagogues in the United States. There is a variety of documents, including correspondence, annual reports, addresses, programs, printed materials, reports, and materials pertaining to the synagogue's burial ground.
The collection pertains to the "One Thousand Children Inc." (OTC Inc.), a non-profit research and educational organization devoted to the concerns of the "One Thousand Children," also known as the "OTC Children" or "OTC." It documents the history of the children involved, and of the organization. The collection consists of original and copied materials such as newspaper clippings, correspondence, and photographs pertaining to the OTC, their biological families, and adoptive families in the United States. Included is correspondence (originals and copies) in the original language(s) and in English translation, 1913-2007. Clippings, articles, lectures, press releases, book manuscripts, publication excerpts, plays, and book reviews, 1922-2007. Autobiographical and biographical accounts and interviews (originals, copies, and translations), 1934-2005, including audio and video interviews. Photographs and artwork (originals and copies), 1914-2005. Confidential files relating to OTC children. Documentation regarding rescuers, 1933-1945. Legal hearings and migration reports regarding the rescue and resettlement of OTC children (originals and copies), 1924-2005. Meeting minutes and bylaws (originals and copies), 1925-2003. Name lists, 1934-2004. Profiles, academic essays, theses, and manuscripts, 1983. Flyers, notices, programs, and brochures, 1938-2003. Obituaries (originals and copies), 1952-2006. Personal documents (originals and copies), including birth and other certificates, identity cards, declaration of death forms, certificates of residency, school reports, visa applications, and affidavits, ship manifests, drivers' licenses, passports, resumes, business cards, albums, United States military forms and certificates, announcements, and related materials, 1896-2005. Diskettes, CD ROMs, DVDs, cassettes, and films. Promotional materials for films, museum exhibitions, and related programs, 2001-2007 Video tapes of the OTC Reunion and Conference talks, and of interviews with OTC children and others. Documentary and Theater videos, and accompanying materials.
This collection contains original compositions and printed and handwritten sheet music collected by Al Glaser as well as Glaser’s own arrangements of traditional Hungarian, Romanian and Jewish music.
This collection contains the office records of the American Sephardi Federation. Documents focus on the daily functioning, annual conventions, finances, events, and activities of the ASF. The records consist mainly of correspondence, but also include memoranda, reports, financial records, and other organizational documents, as well as newspaper clippings, publications, and photographic media.
The collection documents the activities of a human rights non-government organization on behalf of Soviet Jewry and Jews in the Former Soviet Union. Organized by Harold Light in San Francisco in 1967, the group worked to bring the Soviet Jewry issue to national and international attention. The collection contains correspondence, minutes, case files, publications, newspaper clippings, card files of Refuseniks, subject files, audio/visual materials, and information on other Soviet Jewry and interreligious organizations. Also included are materials relating to Soviet Jewish emigration, Cold War relations, the collapse of the Soviet Union, and human rights conditions in Russia and the former Soviet republics.
This collection contains the synagogue's membership ledger book with pages cut to indicate donations made on the Sabbath or Holiday (amounts listed in cents or shilling); a booklet of printed Torah blessings, velvet ark curtain inscribed "In memory of Isaiah and Freyde Liflander" (in Hebrew), brown velvet Bimah cover (with Mogen David) and hand sewn purple Torah mentel (cover) with Mogen David. Also includes photocopies of the records of the deed of the synagogue and Hevery Kadeese, the Jewish burial society in Muscatine.
The records in this subgroup belong to the Records of the Central Sephardic Jewish Community of America, and document activities of the Community's Women's Division. The materials include correspondence, minutes of meetings, annual reports, budgets, records related to planning of annual events, publications and clippings, membership lists, financial papers, and photographs. See Guide to the Records of the Central Sephardic Jewish Community of America.
This collection contains the correspondence (1868-1872) of Sir Moses Montefiore to Charles Meyer, President of the congregation, acknowledging donations made for the poor in Jerusalem. Includes an official acknowledgment in Hebrew by representatives of the Jerusalem community.
The Records of the Forward Association collection consists of the administrative records of the Office of the General Manager of the Forward Association, publisher of the Jewish Daily Forward. The collection contains correspondence, financial materials, minutes, reports, and information related to various anniversary celebrations. These materials serve to illustrate the professional activities of the Forward Association and its General Manager and show the Forward’s importance.
This collection contains the administrative records of the Hebrew Actors’ Union (HAU), the professional union of Yiddish theater performers, which was based in New York City. Materials include correspondence, membership materials, financial records and members’ dues information, meeting minutes, and a great deal of sheet music and play scripts of performances from the Yiddish theater. A majority of these performances were in New York City, but there are also materials from Philadelphia, Chicago, Boston, Toronto, and Montreal, as well as various locations in Israel and South America.