Evgenii Lendon Collection
Scope and Content Note
The collection is comprised of 147 sepia, as well as black and white photo prints, some of which were made from glass negatives. The glass negatives are not in this collection. Most of the photographs show various parts of the city of L’viv as it was during the last decades under the Hapsburg rule, and during the interwar period in the independent Polish republic. They depict the city in its artistic and architectural splendor, as well as it being the hub of trade, politics, multicultural and societal life. Included are views of major thoroughfares, street and marketplace scenes, advertisements, parades, theaters, high society clubs, ceremonies involving famous people, churches of varying denominations, monuments of famous people, and cemeteries. A select number of photographs clearly depict scenes with a Jewish presence: Jewish shops, a hospital, a cemetery and funeral chapel, burnt-out synagogues, and old Jewish neighborhoods. Jewish signs and posters in Yiddish and Polish are visible in some of these photos.
- Creation: 1890s-1930s, 1987-1991, 1994
Language of Materials
English and Russian annotations are on the backs of the photographs. Signs and posters in the photographs are in Yiddish and Polish.
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open to the public. Permission to publish part or parts of the collection must be obtained in writing from the YIVO Archives.
There may be some restrictions on the use of the collection. For more information, contact:
YIVO Archives, YIVO Institute for Jewish Research, Center for Jewish History, 15 West 16th Street, New York, NY, 10011
Evgenii Lendon was a museum supervisor and photographer at the National Museum of L'viv (formerly the Lenin Museum). Mr. Lendon immigrated to the United States in 1992, where he now resides.
1.1 Linear Feet
This collection contains 147 photographs of the city of L’viv, Ukraine (formerly Lemberg, Austria-Hungary; Lwów, Poland; L’vov, Russia). The photographs were taken by an unknown photographer(s) at various times during the period ca. 1890 through the 1930s. Three photographs are from the post-1945 years. The majority of the photographs were developed from glass negatives between 1987 and 1991. These negatives came to the attention of Evgenii Lendon in the 1980s, and Lendon preserved the images by making large, exhibition-quality prints from the negatives.
The collection was given to the YIVO Archives in 2007 by Fay and Julian Bussgang of Lexington, MA.
All photographs in this collection have been digitized.
- Guide to the Evgenii Lendon Collection, 1890s-1930s, 1987-1991, 1994 RG 1853
- Processed by Rivka Schiller
- © 2008
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Description is in English. Access points added by Rachel Miller in 2012.
- Finding aid edited, encoded and posted online thanks to a grant from the Gruss Lipper Family Foundation.