Leib Kadison Papers
Scope and Contents
The papers relate to Kadison's theatrical career and personal life. Art works: original stage designs for the Yiddish theater; drawings of stage characters; portraits of the Kadison family; miscellaneous drawings. Photographs of the Vilna Troupe including scenes of performances. Individual and group photographs of troupe members, including photographs of Luba Kadison and Joseph Buloff. Photographs of Leib Kadison and family. Programs of Vilna Troupe productions. Clippings, theater posters.
- Creation: 1916 - 1947
- Kadison, Leib, 1880-1947 (Person)
Biographical / Historical
Set designer, actor, director in the Yiddish theater. Founder of the Vilna Troupe, 1915. Director of Dramatics, Workmen's Circle Summer Camp. Born in Kaunas, Lithuania. Settled in the U.S. ca. 1931.
3 Boxes (2 5"ltr, 1 3"lgl)
Language of Materials
The collection is arranged in four series: I) Stage Designs (sets) (1-6); II) Drawings (7-20); III) Photographs (21-54); IV) Misc. (55-60).
Legacy Finding Aid
A digitized version of the legacy finding aid is available at http://digipres.cjh.org/delivery/DeliveryManagerServlet?dps_pid=IE2128175.
Genre / Form
- Jewish artists -- Illinois -- Chicago
- Jewish camps -- New York (State) -- Rhinebeck
- Labor Zionism -- New York (State) -- New York -- Societies, etc.
- Theater, Yiddish
- Theater, Yiddish -- Lithuania
- Theater, Yiddish -- New York (State) -- New York
- Trupy Wileńskiej (Vilna, Poland)
- Vilna Troupe (Vilna, Poland)
- Yiddish drama
- Zionism -- History
- Language of description
- Script of description