Anikster Benevolent Pischei Tshuvo Association Records
Scope and Contents
Legal documents, 1930s-1940s. Minutes, 1936-1939. Financial records, 1940s-1970s. Meeting announcements. Correspondence. Materials pertaining to sale of synagogue and to the dissolution of the association. Seal.
- Creation: 1931 - 1976
- Anikster Benevolent Pischei Tshuvo Association (Organization)
Biographical / Historical
Established in New York in 1939 by immigrants from Anyksciai, Lithuania upon the consolidation of the Congregation Bnai Pischei Tshuvo Anshei Aniksty and the Anikster Benevolent Association. The congregation was established in 1887 for the purposes of religious study. In addition, it provided cemetery plots and free loans to members and supported the rabbi and talmud torah in Anyksciai. The congregation maintained a synagogue at 135 Henry Street, New York. The Anikster Benevolent Association was organized in 1898. Following consolidation, the Anikster Benevolent Pischei Tshuvo Association maintained the synagogue until 1965 when the building was sold. Dissolved in 1976.
2 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
- Anykščiai (Lithuania)
- New York (N.Y.)
- New York (N.Y.) -- Religious life and customs
- New York (N.Y.) -- Social life and customs
- Anikster Benevolent Association (New York, N.Y.)
- Congregation Bʼnai Pischei Tshuvo Anshei Aniksty (New York, N.Y.)
- Fraternal organizations -- New York (State) -- New York
- Immigrants -- United States
- Jewish fraternal organizations -- New York (State) -- New York
- Jews -- Charities -- New York (State) -- New York
- Jews -- Lithuania
- Jews -- New York (State) -- New York -- Societies, etc.
- Landsmanshaftn -- New York (State) -- New York
- Language of description
- Script of description