Mani Leib Papers
Scope and Contents
Correspondence with Yiddish literary figures including Reuben Iceland, David Ignatoff, Aleph Katz, H. Leivick, Itzik Manger, David Pinsky, Melech Ravitch, Abraham Reisen, Abraham Sutzkever. Galley proofs of poetry. Lists of titles of poems and translations. Photographs of Mani Leib, family and friends. Manuscripts and printed copies of several hundred poems by Mani Leib. Poems translated by Mani Leib from English, Russian and other languages into Yiddish. Mani Leib's poems translated into Hebrew, English, Spanish. Articles about Mani Leib.
- Creation: 1915 - 1953
- Mani Leib, 1883-1953 (Person)
Biographical / Historical
Pen name of Mani Leib Brahinsky. Prominent Yiddish poet. Published poems in the Jewish Daily Forward (N.Y.), Freie Arbeiter Stimme (N.Y.), Yidisher kemfer (N.Y.), Di varhayt (N.Y.), Dos naye lebn (N.Y.), Zukunft (N.Y.). Leading member of the American Yiddish literary group Di Yunge, which believed in art for art's sake and sought to replace the traditional moral and political themes in Yiddish literature by free artistic expression and new forms. Co-editor of the anthology Insel, 1925. Wrote ballads and tales for children. Born in Nezhin, Ukraine. Immigrated to the U.S. in 1905.
2 Linear Feet (3 5"ltr, 1 5"lgl)
Language of Materials
The collection is arranged as follows: I) Correspondence (folders 1-9); II) Articles by Mani Leib (10); III) Misc. Materials (11-15); IV) Poems by Mani Leib (16-37); V) Poems Translated into Yiddish by Mani Leib (38-47); VI) Poems by Mani Leib Translated into Other Languages (48); VII) Articles about Mani Leib (49-55).
Legacy Finding Aid
A digitized version of the legacy finding aid is available at http://digipres.cjh.org/delivery/DeliveryManagerServlet?dps_pid=IE2114147.
- Ignatow, David, 1914-1997 (Person)
- Iceland, Reuben, 1884-1955 (Person)
- Katz, Aleph, 1898-1969 (Person)
- Leivick, H., 1888-1962 (Person)
- Manger, Itzik, 1901-1969 (Person)
- Sutzkever, Abraham, 1913-2010 (Person)
- Pinski, David, 1872-1959 (Person)
- Ravitch, Melech, 1893-1976 (Person)
- Reisen, Abraham, 1876-1953 (Person)
- Committee for Ukrainian Jews (Organization)
- Mani Leib Club (Organization)
Genre / Form
- photographic prints
- Russian poetry -- Translation from Yiddish
- Spanish poetry -- Translations from Yiddish
- Yiddish poetry -- Translations into Hebrew.
- Yiddish poetry -- Translations into Spanish.
- Language of description
- Script of description