Papers of Gustave Eisner
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of:
1. Materials relating to the PPS (Polska Partia Socjalistyczna - Polish Socialist Party), including trial records and proclamations, 1905-1912
2. Proclamations by the Socialist-Zionist Party (SS) and the Bund, 1905 and 1934
3. Correspondence: family (1912-1938) and general (1911-1938, including a number of letters from Yiddish writers)
4. Records pertaining to the activities of various Łódź landsmanshaftn in the U.S.
5. Manuscripts, notes, printed articles, and personal documents of Gustav Eisner
6. Photographs taken in Poland, some during World War I
7. Records of the Gustave Eisner Travel Bureau, 1930s
- 1905 - 1938
Biographical / Historical
Gustave Eisner (1886-1939) was a reporter in Łódź, Poland, active in the socialist movement. Later, he was the owner of Gustave Eisner Travel Bureau in New York. Eisner was an active colleague of YIVO, and became a member of the executive board of the American branch of YIVO (Amopteyl) in 1927, representing it at the YIVO world conferences of 1929 and 1935.
1 Linear Feet
5 Reels (MKM 12)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
These records were received from the family of Gustave Eisner in 1954.
Removed from Gustav Eisner's collection of letters and distributed according to the Yiddish alphabet in the general letters archive of famous personalities, the letters of:
Moyshe Gros (Moshe Gross-Zimmermann)
Yehudah Leib Cahan
Dr. Filip Friedman
Dr. Avrom Koralnik
Harry (Yitzhak Hersh) Radoshitzky
Dr. Yankev Shatzky
Films in this collection were placed and catalogued in the Film Collection, RG 105.
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the YIVO Institute for Jewish Research Repository
15 West 16th Street
New York NY 10011 United States