Skip to main content

Jüdisch-Theologisches Seminar Breslau

 Collection
Identifier: AR 2044

Scope and Content Note

The Breslau Theological Seminary Collection may be viewed online.

The following list was gleaned from 4 original German language index cards containing detailed descriptions of all items.

Brochure: lecture catalogue for the summer-semester 1938. 

Shmuelin, Efraim : ’Ha-Dr. Yisrael A. Rabin’, Hebrew typescript (8 p.), ca. 1957: Biographical essay about Dr. Israel A. Rabin (1882-1951), member of the faculty at the Jewish theological seminary in Breslau. 

B. Weinryb and S. Loewinger : ’I. Bibel 1-7’, German manuscript (11 p.), undated: List of biblical manuscripts in the library of the Jewish theological seminary in Breslau. 

Leather-bound, handwritten catalogue of Hebrew books from the “Jüdisch-Theologisches Seminar, Breslau”, 70 pages in Hebrew; undated. 

Identification of several personalities in a group photography on occasion of the 75th anniversary (1929) of the Jewish Theological Seminary in Breslau; 1964. 

Das geschäftsleitende Comité : Protokoll. Printed resolution of 23 rabbis, all graduates of the Jewish Theological Seminary Breslau, at a meeting June 30 – July 2, 1868, to establish the “jüdisch-theologischen Verein” for better communication among graduates. 2 pages (3 copies); 1868. 

Offene Anfrage: A critical ad (?) in Berliner Nationalzeitung from a club of “friends of the truth and orthodox Judaism” about Jewish orthodoxy at the future seminary for rabbis and teachers in Breslau; April 16, 1854. 

Dates

  • 1854-1964

Creator

Language of Materials

This collection is in German and Hebrew.

Use Restrictions

There may be some restrictions on the use of the collection. For more information, contact:

Leo Baeck Institute, Center for Jewish History, 15 West 16th Street, New York, NY 10011

email: lbaeck@lbi.cjh.org

Biographical Note

The Seminar was the first modern rabbinical seminar in Central Europe; it was founded in 1854 by the estate of Jonas Fränckel. The seminar’s aim was to teach ’positive historical Judaism’. In 1938 all teaching activities had to cease.

Extent

1 Folders

Overview

Various materials from and about the Jewish Theological Seminary in Breslau, including manuscripts, publications and photographs.

Related Material

A microfilm, MF 50, contains materials from the Jewish Historical General Archives, Jerusalem, such as ’Matrikel’ books; handwritten minutes of teacher-conferences, 1894-1938; a journal; and personal notes of the seminar’s students; 1894-1938.

Photographs have been removed to the LBI Photograph Collection.

See also: G. Kisch (ed.), The Breslau Seminary, Memorial Volume, 1963. (Library)

Processing Information

During microfilming and consequent digitization the original order of the collection has been disrupted.
Title
Inventory of the Breslau Theological Seminary Collection, 1854-1964 AR 2044
Status
In Progress
Date
© 2009
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
The inventory is in German and Hebrew.

Repository Details

Part of the Leo Baeck Institute Repository

Contact:
15 West 16th Street
New York NY 10011 United States