Berlin Community Collection
The collection consists of various materials covering aspects of the Berlin Jewish community’s history from the 1880s to the 1990s, concentrating on documents from the community’s sole official congregation, “Jüdische Gemeinde zu Berlin”.
Language of Materials
This collection is in German and English.
There may be some restrictions on the use of the collection. For more information, contact:
Leo Baeck Institute, Center for Jewish History, 15 West 16th Street, New York, NY 10011
0.5 Linear Feet
Other Finding Aid
Also available are German language index cards:
LBI’s Berlin Community Collection was a work in progress, beginning in the Institute’s first year and growing until circa 2012. Until circa 1990, each item was described onto an index card, available here as photocopies in folder 1.
The “Berlin Community Clippings Collection”, LBI call number AR 88 C, holds an array of published materials mainly from the German and US-press pertaining to all aspects of the Jewish community in Berlin from circa 1960 to the 1990s.
Historic records from the Jewish congregation in Berlin that are held at "Jüdisches Historisches Institut" in Warsaw, Poland, are available at the LBI on microfilm MF 472, reels 1-3.
In addition, many individual manuscripts and photographs that had originally been part of the Berlin Community Collection have been incorporated in LBI’s Manuscript-, Memoir- and Photograph-Collections.
An audio tape cassette with the soundtrack of ‘Ein verlorenes Berlin’, a film about a Berlin Jewish cemetery by Martin Koerber and Richard Kostelanetz, 1983, has been removed to the LBI A/V collection.
During microfilming and consequent digitization the original order of the collection has been disrupted.
- Archival materials
- Berlin (Germany)
- Clippings (information artifacts)
- Deutsch-Israelitischer Gemeindebund (Germany)
- Fund raising
- Gesellschaft der Freunde (Berlin, Germany)
- Israelitische Taubstummen-Anstalt Berlin-Weissensee
- Jewish cemeteries
- Jewish educators
- Jewish leadership
- Jews -- Germany -- Berlin -- History
- Jews -- Germany -- Intellectual life
- Jews -- Persecutions -- Germany -- Berlin
- Judaism -- Liturgy
- Jüdische Gemeinde zu Berlin Künstlerhilfe
- Jüdische Gemeinde zu Berlin
- Manuscripts (documents)
- Official documents
- Preussischer Landesverband Jüdischer Gemeinden
- Public welfare
- Reform Judaism
- Synagogue architecture
- Inventory of the Berlin Community Collection, 1849-1991 AR 88
- © 2009
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- The inventory is in English.