Erwin Taenzer Collection
Scope and Content Note
The collection provides insight into the impact of the emergence of Nazi Germany on the family of a German rabbi, Aron Tänzer, specifically his son, Erwin. Series I contains correspondence between various family members and Erwin over the time span from 1932 to 1969, which describes family emigration and Aron’s career. Series II comprises official documents, and newspaper clippings, which document Erwin’s childhood and his father’s legacy.
- Majority of material found in 1930s
- Taenzer, Erwin, 1914-2007 (Person)
Language of Materials
The collection is in English and German.
Open to researchers.
Collection is digitized. Follow the links in the Container List to access the digitized materials.
There may be some restrictions on the use of the collection. For more information, contact:
Leo Baeck Institute, Center for Jewish History, 15 West 16th Street, New York, NY 10011
Erwin Taenzer was born on May 29, 1914 to Dr. Arnold (Aron) Tänzer, and his second wife, Bertha Tänzer, née Strauss. Dr. Aron Tänzer was a rabbi, who served the German town of Göppingen until his death in 1937. Erwin Taenzer had one sister, Ilse, as well as several half-siblings: Paul, Fritz, Irene, and Hugo. After training to become an electrician, Erwin immigrated to the United States circa 1937. Erwin’s wife was Ruth Taenzer, née Schiller.
0.75 Linear Feet
The correspondence, newspaper clippings, and official documents contained in this collection chronicle the impact of World War II on the life of Erwin Taenzer, an electrician and the son of a rabbi, and his extended family.
The processing of this collection has maintained the original order in which the materials were donated.
- Arco, Georg von, 1869-1940
- Brooklyn (New York, N.Y.)
- Clippings (information artifacts)
- Education, Secondary
- Emigration and immigration
- Göppingen (Germany)
- Jewish families
- Jews -- Persecutions -- Germany
- Jews, German
- London (England)
- Moos, Paul, 1863-1952
- Official documents
- Szasz, Frank
- Tänzer family
- Tänzer, Arno, 1871-1937
- Tänzer, Bertha, 1876-1943
- Tänzer, Ilse, 1915-1979
- Guide to the Erwin Taenzer Collection 1923-2007 AR 25675
- Processed by Madeleine Ostertag
- © 2016
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Description is in English.
- Edition statement
- This version was derived from ErwinTaenzer.xml
- September 2016:: dao links added by Emily Andresini.