Jacob Bernays - Hans Bach Collection
Scope and Content Note
Autographs of Bernays and transcripts, made by Bach, of correspondence by Bernays, including correspondence with Georg von Bunsen, Christian Karl von Bunsen, Heinrich Graetz, Eduard Lasker, Theodor Mommsen, Max Mueller, Ernst Renan, and Franz von Roggenbach.
Material on Bernays’s father, Rabbi Chacham Isaac Bernays, relates to the controversies over education and religious practice among the Jews of Hamburg during the 1820s.
Correspondence of Hans Bach concerning his work on a planned edition of Jacob Bernays’s collected writings, includes correspondence with David Baumgardt, Werner Cahnmann, Max Gruenewald, and Hans Liebeschuetz.
See Inventory List.
Language of Materials
This collection is in German and English.
Collection is microfilmed, use MF 605.
Collection is digitized. Follow the links in the Container List to access the digitized materials.
Readers may access the collection by visiting the Lillian Goldman Reading Room at the Center for Jewish History. We recommend reserving the collection in advance; please visit the LBI Online Catalog and click on the "Request" button.
There may be some restrictions on the use of the collection. For more information, contact:
Leo Baeck Institute, Center for Jewish History, 15 West 16th Street, New York, NY 10011
Born in Stuttgart in 1902, Bach received a doctorate in German literature from the University of Berlin in 1928. He was an author and editor until his emigration to Great Britain in 1939, and continued his literary work there, including his biography of Jacob Bernays. Bach died in London on December 5, 1977.
0.5 Linear Feet
Correspondence and other documents collected and written by Hans Bach for the publication of his book about Jacob Bernays and the history of German Jewish intellectual life in the 19th century. Also included are autographs pertaining to Jacob Bernays and materials about his father, Rabbi Chacham Isaac Bernays.
Other Finding Aid
Collection is available on microfilm (MF 605).
- Archival materials
- Autographs (manuscripts)
- Baumgardt, David, 1890-1963
- Bernays, Isaac, 1792-1849
- Bernays, Jacob, 1824-1881
- Bunsen, Christian Karl Josias, Freiherr von, 1791-1860
- Bunsen, Georg von, 1824-1896
- Cahnman, Werner J. (Werner Jacob), 1902-1980
- College teachers
- Education, Primary
- Education, Secondary
- Graetz, Heinrich, 1817-1891
- Gruenewald, Max, 1899-1992
- Grunwald, Max, 1871-1953
- Hamburg (Germany)
- Heyse, Paul, 1830-1914
- Isler, M. (Meyer), 1807-1888
- Jewish law
- Jews -- Germany -- Intellectual life
- Lasker, Eduard, 1829-1884
- Liebeschütz, Hans, 1893-1978
- Manuscripts (documents)
- Mommsen, Theodor, 1817-1903
- Müller, F. Max (Friedrich Max), 1823-1900
- Orthodox Judaism
- Renan, Ernest, 1823-1892
- Roggenbach, Franz, Freiherr von, 1825-1907
- Stuttgart (Germany)
- Guide to the Jacob Bernays - Hans Bach Collection, 1840-1937 AR 7168 / MF 605
- Processed by LBI Staff
- © 2010
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Description is in English.
- January 30, 2012 : Links to digital objects added in Container List.
Part of the Leo Baeck Institute Repository
15 West 16th Street
New York NY 10011 United States