Jewish Agency Mission to the Iberian Peninsula [October 1943 - September 1945].
Scope and Contents
Folder 1 contains metadata about the materials.
Folder 2 contains photographs, notes, and other contemporary material.
Folder 3 contains correspondence, and a correspondence summary. These materials provide information about the Jewish Agency’s Palestine Office’s mission to the Iberian Peninsula from October 1943 to September 1945. They list the names of the refugee ships (Guiné, Nyassa, Plus Ultra, Lima, Aquitania), as well as their dates of departure and their stops along the way. The collection also contains references to the lead-up to some of the departures from Lisbon, such as a farewell party; personal notes and materials pertaining to the Jewish Agency in Palestine; the various journeys; and two reunion gatherings of the refugees held in Israel in 1969 and 1989.
Folders 4 and 5 contains clippings, photographs and various notes pertaining to Fritz Lichtenstein, during the years after the mission.
- Leshem, Perez (Person)
Language of Materials
The collection is in German, Hebrew, English, French and Portuguese.
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open to researchers.
Conditions Governing Use
The collection has been digitized.
The collection contains various materials pertaining to the Jewish Agency Mission to the Iberian Peninsula, October 1943 - September 1945.
This collection is arranged in 3 series.
- Series I: Metadata and Reunions, 1969-1989
- Series II: Mission's Materials, 1943-1947, 1970
- Series III: Various Materials post Mission, 1944-1989
- American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee
- Archival materials
- Clippings (information artifacts)
- Jewish Agency for Israel. Youth Aliyah Department
- Jewish Agency for Palestine
- Lisbon (Portugal)
- Palestine -- Emigration and immigration
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Jews -- Rescue
- Ṭirat Tsevi (Israel)
- Processed by Meirav Reuveny
- © 2021
- Language of description
- Script of description