Reinheimer family collection
Two amateur films of the Reinheimer family in Washington Heights, depicting family life and religious services.
- 1947, 1957
There may be some restrictions on the use of the collection. For more information, contact:
Leo Baeck Institute, Center for Jewish History, 15 West 16th Street, New York, NY 10011
Emma Haas née Gottlieb worked from 1924 to 1942 as a housemother at Bertha Pappenheim’s orphanage in Neu-Isenburg, where she lived with her daughter, Else. Else immigrated to the United States, but her mother was deported to Theresienstadt in 1942, before she could join her daughter after the war. - Else’s husband Jack Reinheimer was the owner of ‘Jack’s Furniture’, a furniture store on 514 West 181st Street in Washington Heights.
Shaare Hatikvah was the first German-Jewish congregation in Washington Heights, founded in 1940 under the leadership of Rabbi Dr. Siegmund Hanover, the last rabbi of Würzburg, Germany before the war. Construction for a new building, including a large sanctuary with separate ladies galleries; a social hall; offices; and the rabbi’s study began in November of 1954 and was completed in 1957.
2 Run Time (hours:minutes)
Language of Materials
- Inventory of the Reinheimer family collection, 1947, 1957 DM 338
- Under Revision
- © 2009
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- The inventory is in English.
- November 25, 2019:: Links to digital objects added in Container List.
Part of the Leo Baeck Institute Repository
15 West 16th Street
New York NY 10011 United States