Ernst Marckowicz Collection
Scope and Contents
The file contains correspondence and manuscripts of Ernst Markowicz.
- Creation: 1901-1980
- Markowicz, Ernst, 1901- (Person)
Language of Materials
The collection is in German.
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open to researchers.
Conditions Governing Use
The collection has been digitized.
Biographical / Historical
Ernst Markowicz was born in Breslau in 1901. He became a member of the "Kameraden. Deutsch-juedischer Wanderbund" and held a leading position since 1922. In 1921 Markowicz studied for one semester at the "Juedische Lehrhaus" in Frankfurt a. M. and developed a close relationship with Franz Rosenzweig. In 1923, after the murder of Walter Rathenau and by the influence of Kurt Blumenfeld, Markowicz became a Zionist. He was active for the "Keren Kayemet" and involved with the K.J.V. From ca. 1925 to 1928 Markowicz worked as an assistant of Fritz Haber in Berlin, from 1928 to 1935 for a chemical factory in Leipzig, while being active in the local branch of the "Zionist Organization". In 1935 he became a product inspector (Warenpruefer) at the purchase center of the Schocken department store in Zwickau. He additionally became member of the emigration commission, which Salman Schocken set up for his Jewish employees. In 1937, Markowicz himself immigrated to Palestine. He worked as chemist for "Teva" company (pharmaceutical industry) and in several other companies and institutions including the ministry for industry, as employee of the United Nations, and as advisor of the Israeli government. Markowicz died in Israel in 1979.
The collection contains various materials pertaining to Ernst Marckowicz.
This collection is arranged in 3 series.
- Series I: Correspondence; 1930-1974
- Series II: Personal documents; 1901-1978
- Series III: Subject files; 1918-1934
- Rothschild, Eli (Person)
- Simon, Ernst (Person)
- Schocken, Salman, 1877-1959 (Person)
- Cohn, Benno (Person)
- Rosenzweig, Franz, 1886-1929 (Person)
- Rosen, Pinchas, 1887-1978 (Person)
- Katzir, Ephraim, 1916-2009 (Person)
- Schneider, Lambert, 1900-1970 (Person)
- Rosenzweig, Rafael N. (Person)
- Kameraden Deutschjudischer Wanderbund (Organization)
- Jewish Agency for Israel (Organization)
- Hitachduth Olej Germania (Palestine) (Organization)
- Jewish National Fund (Organization)
- Kartell Jüdischer Verbindungen (Organization)
- Kaufhaus Schocken (Organization)
- Blau-Weiss (Youth movement) (Organization)
- Keren Hayesod (Organization)
- Processed by Meirav Reuveny
- © 2020
- Language of description
- Script of description