Congregation Shaari Tephillah Collection
Scope and Content Note
This collection consists almost exclusively of materials documenting the administration of Congregation Shaari Tephillah's plots in three New Jersey cemeteries. Documents include approximately 40 ownership certificates for individual plots; three large plot maps for the three cemeteries, some with owner or occupant names; index cards listing individual plot owners; and minutes of committee meetings regarding plot administration. Also included are ledgers, annual financial summaries, and receipts, minutes of board meetings (including a list of board members); and a small amount of correspondence.
The collection also includes the first page of the by-laws of the congregation, an address book and rubber stamp, and a selection of small prayer books printed by Hirsch & Sons Funeral Home, Bronx, NY.
- Congregation Shaari Tephillah (Organization)
Language of Materials
This collection is in English and German.
This collection is open to researchers.
Collection is digitized. Follow the links in the Container List to access the digitized materials.
Any publication using this material should mention its source and provide a copy of such publication to the donor. Please contact the Leo Baeck Institute for more information.
The Congregation Shaari Tephillah (Shaare Tefillah as spelled in the German by-laws) was founded in 1935, as the first German-Jewish congregation formed in United States after 1933. It was first located at 858 Macy Place, Bronx, NY, and later at 841 Southern Boulevard, Bronx, NY. The congregation managed areas of three Jewish cemeteries in the New York City suburbs, specifically New Jersey: New Mount Lebanon Cemetery in Iselin, NJ (lot 12, block 8, section 1, part 1); Beth-El Cemetery in Paramus, NJ (block 11, lots 219-224); and Cedar Park Cemetery in Westwood, NJ (block 3). David Neuhaus was the president of the congregation, and Siegfried Bachenheimer was the chairman of the cemetery committee. Other officers included Max Weiskopf, Isaac Simon, and Siegfried Frank.
1 Linear Feet (1 box) plus one oversize folder (OSL 38)
This collection consists almost exclusively of materials documenting the administration of Congregation Shaari Tephillah's plots in three New Jersey cemeteries. Congregation Shaari Tephillah was founded in 1935 as the first German-Jewish congregation formed in the United States after 1933.
The folders are arranged alphabetically.
Materials were refoldered. Index cards were removed from metal boxes and placed in folders.
- Guide to the Congregation Shaari Tephillah Collection undated, 1935-1960 AR 25100
- Processed by Kevin Schlottmann
- © 2013
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Description is in English.
- as part of the Leon Levy Archival Processing Initiative, made possible by the Leon Levy Foundation
- May 2016: dao links added by Emily Andresini.