Rahel Varnhagen von Ense Collection
Scope and Content Note
Original correspondence from Rahel Varnjagen as well as from her husband Karl August. Annotated handwritten transcripts of lost correspondence from and to Rahel Varnhagen, prepared before WW II. Also included are commentaries, essays, etc.
- Löwenthal, Erich (Person)
- Varnhagen von Ense, Karl August, 1785-1858 (Person)
- Varnhagen, Rahel, 1771-1833 (Person)
Language of Materials
This collection is in German and some English.
The collection is digitized. Follow the links in the Container List to access the digitized materials.
Open to researchers.
There may be some restrictions on the use of the collection. For more information, contact:
Leo Baeck Institute, Center for Jewish History, 15 West 16th Street, New York, NY 10011
Born in Berlin on May 26, 1771, Rahel Levin was an author and salon hostess. She married Karl August Varnhagen von Ense in 1814 and died in Berlin on March 7, 1833.
Erich Loewenthal prepared the transcripts of the correspondence between Rahel Varnhagen and her brother Ludwig Robert before WW II with the intention to have it published. The letters were held in Berlin’s Staatsarchiv Unter den Linden, before being moved to Silesia and destroyed in WW II. Erich Loewenthal was killed in Auschwitz.
0.25 Linear Feet : and part of reel
Original correspondence from Rahel Varnjagen as well as from her husband Karl August. Annotated handwritten transcripts of lost correspondence from and to Rahel Varnhagen, prepared before WW II. Also included are commentaries and essays.
This collection consists of a single series.
Other Finding Aid
15 catalogue cards.
- Assimilation (Sociology)
- Berlin (Germany)
- Christian converts from Judaism
- Domestic life -- 19th century
- Enlightenment -- Germany
- Germany -- History -- 18th century
- Jews -- Germany -- Intellectual life
- Löwenthal, Erich
- Robert, Friederike, 1795-1832
- Robert, Ludwig, 1778-1832
- Varnhagen von Ense, Karl August, 1785-1858
- Varnhagen, Rahel, 1771-1833
- Women authors, German
- Guide to the Rahel Varnhagen von Ense Collection, 1793-1974 AR 336
- Processed by LBI Staff
- © 2013
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the Leo Baeck Institute Repository
15 West 16th Street
New York NY 10011 United States