Rudolf Loeb Collection
Scope and Content Note
The Rudolf Loeb Collection consists of materials fragmentary in nature that deal primarily with the Loeb family and the banking house Mendelssohn & Co.
Included in the collection are correspondence, including photocopies of letters from Otto von Bismarck, Bernhard von Bülow, the German Emperor Wilhelm II, and a letter from Hermann J. Abs describing the "aryanization" of the Mendelssohn banking firm in 1939.
There is a large amount of printed materials including articles by Loeb and others on the 1924 Dawes Plan and other issues of politics and economics. Also included are theater and concert programs, mostly from Berlin. There are also clippings on political, cultural, and financial topics as well as obituaries.
Other materials include honors from various governments, the directory of the diplomatic corps in Berlin for 1937-1938, photographs of Loeb, his family, and employees of the Mendelssohn banking firm.
- Creation: 1885-1968
Language of Materials
The collection is in German with some English.
Open to researchers.
Collection is digitized. Follow the links in the Container List to access the digitized materials.
Readers may access the collection by visiting the Lillian Goldman Reading Room at the Center for Jewish History. We recommend reserving the collection in advance; please visit the LBI Online Catalog and click on the " Request" button.
Rudolf Loeb was born in Elberfeld (part of Wuppertal, Germany) on November 21, 1877. Rudolf Loeb was a banker with Mendelssohn & Co. and consultant to the German and Russian governments. In the 1930s, he served as the Belgian general consul in Berlin.
He immigrated to Argentina in 1939 and to the United States in 1948.
He died in Boston on January 30, 1966.
0.75 Linear Feet
The Rudolf Loeb Collection consists of materials fragmentary in nature that deal primarily with the Loeb family and the banking house Mendelssohn & Co. Included in the collection are correspondence, documents, photographs, and printed materials.
The collection consists of a single series:
Genre / Form
- clippings (information artifacts)
- Financial records
- Official documents
- Printed materials
- Germany -- Politics and government
- United States
- United States -- Emigration and immigration -- History -- 20th century
- Guide to the Papers of Rudolf Loeb 1885-1968 AR 4057
- Processed by Yakov Illich Sklar
- © 2011
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Description is in English.
- funding made possible by The Gladys Krieble Delmas Foundation
- 2011-August-16: T. Mendenhall: removed clippings (box 1 folder 1A) to clippings collection, added links to Henriette Mendelssohn diary and photographs. Removed diary from container list.
- Jaunary 2012:: Links to digital objects added in Container List.