Mittler-Herzog-Picard Family Collection
Scope and Content Note
This collection contains correspondence among members of the Mittler, Herzog, and Picard families during World War II, and other books and papers belonging to these families. Much of the correspondence relates to family news and life in Slovakia at that time. Some of the books and papers in the collection go back to the nineteenth century, while others date from postwar family trips to Germany and Slovakia.
- Majority of material found within 1939-1944
- Mittler, Melitta, 1917- (Person)
Language of Materials
The collection is in German and English, with some Yiddish.
Open to researchers.
Readers may access the collection by visiting the Lillian Goldman Reading Room at the Center for Jewish History. We recommend reserving the collection in advance; please visit the LBI Online Catalog and click on the "Reserve" button.
There may be some restrictions on the use of the collection. For more information, contact:
Leo Baeck Institute, Center for Jewish History, 15 West 16th Street, New York, NY 10011
Melitta Mittler was born in Stampfen (now Stupava, Slovakia) in 1917, the daughter of Rabbi Moritz Samuel and Leontine (née Picard) Herzog. She married Paul Mittler and emigrated from Slovakia to Palestine in 1939. Her grandfather, Eliakim Picard, was a noted rabbi from Randegg, Germany.
0.25 Linear Feet
This collection contains correspondence and family papers from the Mittler, Herzog, and Picard families, mostly from or concerning the time and events of the Holocaust.
The collection is arranged in two series:
The collection was digitized and made accessible in its entirety.
A family Hagaddah was moved to the LBI Library.
- Clippings (information artifacts)
- Herzog family
- Herzog, Annie
- Holocaust, Jewish (1939-1945) -- Slovakia -- Personal narratives
- Jewish families
- Mittler family
- Mittler, Melitta, 1917-
- Mittler, Paul
- Picard family
- Picard, Eliakim, 1822-1903
- Randegg (Germany)
- Restitution -- Germany
- Stupava (Slovakia)
- Tel Aviv (Israel)
- Theresienstadt (Concentration camp)
- United Restitution Organization
- Guide to the Papers of the Mittler-Herzog-Picard Family 1870-2000 AR 25199
- Processed by Michael Himmel
- © 2013
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Description is in English.
- Digitized as part of the CJH Holocaust Resource Initiative, made possible by the Conference on Jewish Material Claims against Germany.
- Edition statement
- This version was derived from Mittler_Herzog_PicardFamily.xml
Part of the Leo Baeck Institute Repository
15 West 16th Street
New York NY 10011 United States