Gustav Landauer Collection
Scope and Content Note
Correspondence comprises the bulk of the collection, both original materials and transcripts. The rest of the collection contains a significant amount of photographic documentation of the 1918/1919 revolution in Munich, including photos of street demonstrations in February, photos of memorial services for Kurt Eisner, and a photo of Landauer being led off by police before imprisonment. There are also photographs of a memorial service for Landauer and of his grave site. The collection also contains two of Landauer's notebooks and a large amount of photocopies of Landauer's police records.
Language of Materials
This collection is in German and English.
Collection is open to researchers.
Collection is digitized. Follow the links in the Container List to access the digitized materials.
In case of publishing Gustav Landauer materials, the donor retains permission rights.
For more information, contact:
Leo Baeck Institute, Center for Jewish History, 15 West 16th Street, New York, NY 10011
Born in Karlsruhe in 1870, Landauer was a philosopher, literary critic, Shakespeare scholar, and anarchist-socialist writer and politician. In November 1918, he became a member of the central council of the revolutionary government of Kurt Eisner in Munich. After Eisner's assassination, he served briefly as Minister of Public Enlightenment in the short-lived Bavarian Soviet Republic. He was murdered in prison on 1919 May 2 during the suppression of the revolutionary government.
0.5 Linear Feet
Correspondence comprises the bulk of the collection, both original materials and transcripts. The rest of the collection contains a significant amount of photographic documentation of the 1918/1919 revolution in Munich, as well as two of Landauer's notebooks.
Other Finding Aid
A 3-page partial inventory is available in folder 1.
Some photographs have been removed to the LBI Photograph Collection.
The album of photographs documenting the Bavarian Revolution in Munich has been removed to the LBI Photograph Collection.
- Bab, Julius, 1880-1955
- Bavaria (Germany)
- Bavaria (Germany) -- History -- Revolution, 1918-1919
- Berlin (Germany)
- Berndl, Ludwig
- Black-and-white photographs
- Braune, Wilhelm, 1850-1926
- Brunner, Constantin, 1862-1937
- Clippings (information artifacts)
- Eisner, Kurt, 1867-1919
- Germany -- History -- Revolution, 1918
- Landauer, Gustav, 1870-1919
- Legal documents
- Loewenberg, Frank M.
- Manuscripts (documents)
- Mauthner, Fritz, 1849-1923
- Meyer, Alfred Richard, 1882-1956
- Munich (Germany)
- Personal correspondence
- Personal papers
- Revolutions and socialism
- Guide to the Gustav Landauer Collection, 1888-1947 AR 7236
- Processed by LBI Staff and Timothy Ryan Mendenhall
- © 2009
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English..
- 2011-05-09: Deaccessiond photocopies of police files and photocopy letter from Werner Schulz (originals held by other repositories), changed Location of Orignals note to Related Materials note, revised folder numbers, added Autographs folder as box 1 folder 9.
- November 28, 2011 : Links to digital objects added in Container List.
- March 24, 2012 : Links to digital objects added in Container List.