"Meine letzten Jahre in Deutschland"
In this memorial article, Herzfeld offers deep insight into the problems and the predicament for German Jews from 1933 to 1938. He especially describes the creation and the work of “Reichsvertretung der deutschen Juden”, the new organization for German Jews, facing the Nazi-regime.
- Creation: 1919-1973
- Herzfeld, Ernst, 1879-1948 (Person)
Language of Materials
Collection is digitized. Follow the links in the Container List to access the digitized materials.
There may be some restrictions on the use of the collection. For more information, contact:
Leo Baeck Institute, Center for Jewish History, 15 West 16th Street, New York, NY 10011
Ernst Herzfeld was born in Graetz (Posen) in 1875 into an upper-middle-class Jewish family. He was a well-known industrial lawyer in Essen and the co-founder and chairman of the Rhineland branch of the CV. After the death of his brother-in-law Julius Brodnitz, Herzfeld became his successor as the chairman of the CV, over which he presided until its dissolution in 1938. Herzfeld emigrated to Palestine in 1938 and died in Argentina in 1948.
- Baeck, Leo, 1873-1956 (Person)
- Brodnitz, Julius, 1866-1936 (Person)
- Hirschberg, Alfred, 1901- (Person)
- Hirschland, Georg, 1885-1942 (Person)
- Stahl, Friedrich Julius, 1802-1861 (Person)
- Lowenthal, Ernst G., 1904- (Person)
- Centralverein Deutscher Staatsbürger Jüdischen Glaubens (Organization)
- Preussischer Landesverband Jüdischer Gemeinden (Organization)
- Reichsvertretung der Deutschen Juden (Organization)
Genre / Form
- Archival materials
- Biographical sources
- clippings (information artifacts)
- manuscripts (documents)
- Inventory of "Meine letzten Jahre in Deutschland", 1919-1973 ME 287b
- © 2009
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- The inventory is in English.
- August 2016:: dao links added by Emily Andresini.