Luis Stern Collection
Identifier: AR 3728
Scope and Content Note
This collection consists almost entirely of correspondence sent to Luis (alternatively Ludwig) Stern from Jewish refugees fleeing Nazi powers. Many of the correspondents were inmates of internment camps in France and Spain, including Gurs, Rivesaltes, Figueras, Miranda de Ebro. The letters are written in German, French, and Spanish. Other materials in the collection include notes related to refugees, a few pieces of Stern’s correspondence with officials, correspondence from the 1970s describing Stern's refugee assistance efforts, and a few clippings.
- Majority of material found within 1940-1943
- Stern, Luis (Person)
Language of Materials
The collection is in German, Spanish, and French.
This collection is open to researchers.
Born Ludwig Stern in Mannheim around 1890, Luis Stern emigrated to Spain in the early 1930s and was living in Barcelona in 1975.
0.25 Linear Feet
This collection consists mainly of correspondence sent to Luis Stern from Jewish refugees in France and Spain between 1940 and 1943. Having emigrated to Spain from Germany himself in the early 1930s, Stern assisted others in obtaining visas and organized other forms of relief. Correspondents include detainees in Gurs, Figuera, and Miranda de Ebro, as well as refugees living throughout France and Spain.
The collection is arranged alphabetically by name of the correspondent.
The collection was digitized and made accessible in its entirety.
Materials were rehoused into acid-free archival folders. Staples that obstructed the content of the documents were removed.
- Clippings (information artifacts)
- Concentration camp inmates
- Concentration camps
- Europe -- Emigration and immigration
- Figueras (Gerona, Spain)
- Gurs (Concentration camp)
- Miranda de Ebro (Concentration camp)
- Rivesaltes (Concentration camp)
- Spain -- Emigration and immigration
- Stern, Luis (Ludwig)
- Guide to the Luis Stern Collection 1940-1973 (bulk 1940-1943) AR 3728
- In Progress
- Processed by Leanora Lange
- © 2013
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Description is in English.
- Processing made possible by the Leon Levy Foundation and the Conference on Jewish Material Claims against Germany. Digitization made possible by the Conference on Jewish Material Claims against Germany.