Kurt Hirschfeld Collection
Scope and Contents
This collection contains materials related to Kurt Hirschfeld and others concerning the theater, plays, director's scripts, photos, and set designs. It includes manuscripts, lectures, clippings, photos, and notebooks by Kurt Hirschfeld.
The collection includes correspondence of Hirschfeld with various individuals and institutions, including the following: Theodor Adorno, Max Brod, Friedrich Duerrenmatt, Lion Feuchtwanger, Fega Frisch, Erich Kaestner, Siegfried Kracauer, Ludwig Marcuse, Robert Musil, Martha Musil, Max Ophuls, Erwin Piscator, Sueddeutsche Zeitung, Hans Sahl, Salman Schocken, Carlo Schmidt, Friedrich Torberg, Paul Tillich, Thornton Wilder, and Carl Zuckmayer.
The following individuals are also mentioned in this collection: Adenauer, Konrad; Bergengruen, Werner; Brecht, Bertolt; Frisch, Efraim; Haas, Willy; Kesten, Hermann; Scholem, Gershom; and Wilhelm, Kurt.
- Hirschfeld, Kurt, 1902- (Person)
Language of Materials
The collection is in German, Russian, French, and English.
Open to researchers.
Collection is microfilmed - use MF 608 (14 reels).
There may be some restrictions on the use of the collection. For more information, contact:
Leo Baeck Institute, Center for Jewish History, 15 West 16th Street, New York, NY, 10011
Born in Lehrte on March 10, 1902, Kurt Hirschfeld was a theatrical director and dramaturge in Darmstadt and, following his emigration to Switzerland in 1933, at the Neues Schauspielhaus, Zurich. He died in Zurich on November 8, 1964.
7 Linear Feet
This collection contains materials related to Kurt Hirschfeld and others concerning the theater, plays, director's scripts, photos, and set designs.
This collection is arranged in 12 series.
- Series 1: Correspondence, undated, 1930s-1965
- Series 2: Personal Documents and Papers, undated, 1946-1964
- Series 3: Plays and Regiebuecher, undated, 1931-1964
- Series 3A: Plays (author unknown unless stated), undated, 1931-1964
- Series 3B: Regiebuecher (director's scripts with stage directions), undated
- Series 4: Lectures and Speeches by Hirschfeld, undated, 1931-1964
- Series 5: Essays by Hirschfeld, undated, 1930-1945
- Series 6: Manuscripts not by Hirschfeld, undated, 1912-1946
- Series 7: Collections of Documents by Various Editors (if no name is mentioned, editor is Hirschfeld), undated, 1944-1945
- Series 8: Various Materials of the Zurich Schauspielhaus, undated, 1938-1966
- Series 9: Reviews and Clippings, undated, 1929-1964
- Series 10: Varia, undated, 1910s-1958
- Series 11: Photographs and Set Designs, undated
- Series 12: Miscellaneous, undated
Collection is available on 14 reels of microfilm (MF 608).
- Reel 1: 1/1 - 1/2
- Reel 2: 1/3
- Reel 3: 1/4 - 1/10
- Reel 4: 1/11 - 1/13
- Reel 5: 1/14 - 1/16
- Reel 6: 1/17 - 1/22; 2/1 - 2/5
- Reel 7: 2/6 - 2/19; 3A/1 - 3A/13; 3B/1
- Reel 8: 3B/2 - 3B/13
- Reel 9: 3B/14 - 3B/15; 4/1 - 4/29; 5/1 - 5/16
- Reel 10: 6/1 - 6/18
- Reel 11: 7/1 - 7/9
- Reel 12: 7/10 - 7/11; 8/1 - 8/22; 9/1 - 9/23
- Reel 13: 10/1 - 10/25
- Reel 14: 11/1 - 11/13; 12/1
Art has been removed to the LBI Art and Objects Collection.
Audiovisual materials have been removed to the LBI A/V Collection.
Most photographs have been removed to the LBI Photograph Collection.
- Kurt Hirschfeld Collection, 1910-1966 AR 7066 / MF 608
- Processed by LBI Staff
- © 2009
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Description is in English.
- 2010-03-23 : encoding of linking to digital objects from finding aid was changed from <extref> to <dao> through dao_conv.xsl