Albert Salomon Collection
Scope and Content Note
Correspondence of Albert Salomon with individuals, including Charles Beard, Walter Benjamin, Arnold Brecht, Felix Frankfurter, Felix Gilbert, Waldemar Gurian, Theodor Heuss, Robert Maynard Hutchins, Herbert Lehmann, Robert Lynd, Erwin Panofsky, Talcott Parsons, Alice Salomon, Hans Schaeffer, Arthur Schlesinger Jr., Edward Shils, Adlai Stevenson, Leo Strauss, Marianne Weber, and Kurt Wolff.
Manuscripts and course outlines by Salomon and others (among the manuscripts "Methodological Reflections on the History of the German Jews in the Age of Emancipation").
Salomon's memoirs are catalogued separately in the memoir collection.
Photos of Israel shortly after statehood.
- Salomon, Albert, 1891-1966 (Person)
Language of Materials
This collection is in German, English and French.
Collection is microfilmed, please use MF 850.
Readers may access the collection by visiting the Lillian Goldman Reading Room at the Center for Jewish History. We recommend reserving the collection in advance; please visit the LBI Online Catalog and click on the "Request" button.
There may be some restrictions on the use of the collection. For more information, contact:
Leo Baeck Institute, Center for Jewish History, 15 West 16th Street, New York, NY 10011
Born in Berlin on December 8, 1891, Albert Salomon received his doctorate in sociology at Heidelberg in 1921 and taught at various German institutions, including the Hochschule fuer Politik. In 1935 he emigrated to the United States, where he taught at the New School for Social Research. Salomon died in New York City in December 1966.
1.5 Linear Feet
Correspondence of Albert Salomon, manuscripts, course outlines, photos
Other Finding Aid
Collection is available on 4 reels of microfilm (MF 850).
- Reel 1: 1/1-1/2
- Reel 2: 1/3-2/3
- Reel 3: 2/4-3/2
- Reel 4: 3/3-3/5
Photographs have been removed to the LBI Photograph Collection.
- Archival materials
- College teachers
- Deutsche Hochschule für Politik (Berlin, Germany)
- Manuscripts (documents)
- New School for Social Research (New York, N.Y. : 1919-1997)
- Salomon, Albert, 1891-1966
- United States -- Emigration and immigration
- United States -- Politics and government
- Guide to the Albert Salomon Collection, 1926-1959 AR 3111 / MF 850
- Processed by LBI Staff
- © 2009
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Description is in English.
- September 2010:: Links to digital objects added in Container List.
- 2010-09-20 : encoding of linking to digital objects from finding aid was changed from <extref> to <dao> through dao_conv.xsl
Part of the Leo Baeck Institute Repository
15 West 16th Street
New York NY 10011 United States