Jews in Germany after 1945 collection
Scope and Content Note
The collection consists of clippings from West-German, Swiss, and US newspapers, as well as some correspondence, published materials and ephemera. All materials pertain to aspects of new Jewish life in ruined and rebuild Germany, touching on anti-Semitism, commemorations of painful events, trials against perpetrators of the Holocaust, and other aspects of Wiedergutmachung (indemnification) and Vergangenheitsbewältigung (coming to terms with the past). Also included are a few materials exploring living conditions of Jews in the former German Democratic Republic.
Language of Materials
The collection is in German and English.
This collection is open to researchers.
This very eclectic collection about Jews in Germany after 1945 mirrors mixed feelings of German survivors of the Holocaust, who had found refuge in New York and worked for the Leo Baeck Institute.
0.5 Linear Feet
The collection consists of clippings from West-German, Swiss, and US newspapers, as well as some correspondence, published materials and ephemera, describing various aspects of Jews in Germany after the Holocaust.
The materials have been arranged in two series.
Other Finding Aid
Older index cards with item level descriptions of all materials collected until 1977 were included in folders of Series I.
A typescript by Friedrich Lothar Brassloff, Compte-rendu d’un voyage à Berlin : [Le 24 janvier 1953], has been removed to the LBI Manuscript Collection, MS 1015.
More than a dozen of small collections consisting of clippings and other materials arranged chronologically by years, have been united in this collection. During processing in 2014, clippings have been separated from other materials.
- Archival materials
- Auschwitz (Concentration camp)
- Berlin (Germany)
- Broder, Henryk M., 1946-
- Bubis, Ignatz, 1927-1999
- Clippings (information artifacts)
- Emigration and immigration law
- Frankfurt am Main (Germany)
- Germany (East)
- Germany -- Emigration and immigration -- History -- 20th century
- Germany -- Ethnic relations
- Germany -- History -- 1945-
- Gesellschaft fuer Christlich-Juedische Zusammenarbeit
- Grossmann, Kurt R. (Kurt Richard), 1897-1972
- Heuss, Theodor, 1884-1963
- Holocaust survivors
- Holocaust, Jewish (1939-1945)
- Jews, Russian
- Kristallnacht, 1938
- Manuscripts (documents)
- Munich (Germany)
- Publications (documents)
- War crimes
- War criminals -- Germany
- World War, 1939-1945
- Zentralrat der Juden in Deutschland
- Guide to the Jews in Germany after 1945 collection 1951-1995 AR 4197
- Processed by Hermann Teifer
- © 2014
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Description is in English.