Schneidemühl (now Piła, Poland) Jewish Community Collection
Scope and Content Note
Clipping on the history of the community and original documents concerning rights of Jews (1687) and the purchase of land by Jewish community (1727).
Addenda: Photocopies of burial register from the Jewish burial society (ḥevra kaddisha) of Schneidemühl, along with English transcriptions printed out from a digital version on diskette. Pre-war photographs of the Jewish cemetery.
- Schneidemühl Jewish community (Organization)
Language of Materials
This collection is in German, Polish, English, and Hebrew.
The documents in the rare oversized folder are closed; use photocopies or digital surrogate.
Collection is digitized. Follow the links in the Container List to access the digitized materials.
There may be some restrictions on the use of the collection. For more information, contact:
Leo Baeck Institute, Center for Jewish History, 15 West 16th Street, New York, NY 10011
This collection contains two original documents dating to the 17th and 18th centuries concerning the legal status of a Jewish community and the sale of a piece of land to the community. There are also photocopies and transcriptions of the burial register, pre-war photographs of the Jewish cemetery, and a clipping on the community's history.
Other Finding Aid
The original German-language inventory is available in the folder.
- Guide to the Schneidemühl (now Piła, Poland) Jewish Community Collection, 1687-1995 AR 2600
- Processed by LBI Staff and Timothy Ryan Mendenhall
- © 2009
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- October 2011 : Links to digital objects added in Container List.
- March 2012 : Links to digital objects added in Container List.
- July 2012 : Additional materials pertaining to Piła/Schneidemühl uncovered, added to collection as folder 2.
- February 2013: Links to digital objects added in Container List.