Mathias Family Collection
Scope and Content Note
This collection contains a wide variety of documents and papers pertaining to the family of Ernst Mathias.
The papers can be grouped by individual, and the largest number pertains Michaelis Mathias, the imperial umbrella manufacturer based in Königsberg, but with roots in Glogau. His papers include marriage and vital documents, his citizenship papers (Bürgerbrief), a will, patents for his work for the court of the Kaiser, and a letter of recognition from the queen for an umbrella which he created for her. The remaining papers pertain to the merchant Selmar Mathias, the doctor Elias Salomon, and to Selmar Mathias's son, the doctor Ernst Mathias. These comprise a similar spectrum of personal, vital, and professional papers, although they are fewer in number than those of Michaelis Mathias. Of special note are copies of poems and student songs written by Salomon and a number of papers documenting Ernst Mathias's service as a military doctor during the first world war. There are also a few photographs in the papers of Ernst and Selmar Mathias. Finally, a short family chronicle with genealogical tables rounds out the collection.
- Mathias family (Family)
Language of Materials
This collection is in German and Hebrew.
Open to researchers.
Collection is digitized. Follow the links in the Container List to access the digitized materials.
There may be some restrictions on the use of the collection. For more information, contact:
Leo Baeck Institute, Center for Jewish History, 15 West 16th Street, New York, NY 10011
4 Folders (+ 1 OS)
This collection contains a wide variety of documents and papers pertaining to the family of Ernst Mathias, including several documents pertaining to his ancestors, some of whom were physicians, and others who were manufacturers who served the Prussian court in the 19th century.
- Brilling, Bernhard
- Germany -- History -- 1789-1900
- Głogów (Województwo Dolnośląskie, Poland)
- Jewish physicians
- Kaliningrad (Russia) -- Kaliningradskai︠a︡ oblastʹ -- Königsberg (Germany)
- Legal documents
- Manuscripts (documents)
- Mathias family
- Mathias, Ernst, 1886-1971
- Mathias, Michaelis, 1817-
- Mathias, Selmar, 1853-1915
- Salomon, Elias S., 1814-1885
- Umbrella industry
- United States -- Emigration and immigration
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Participation, Jewish
- Guide to the Mathias Family Collection, 1823-1971 AR 6177
- Processed by Timothy Ryan Mendenhall
- © 2012
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
- April 09, 2012 : Links to digital objects added in Container List.
- August 14, 2012 : Link to digital object for Box OSL 46, Folder 1 added in Container List.
Part of the Leo Baeck Institute Repository
15 West 16th Street
New York NY 10011 United States