Hans Kohn Collection
Scope and Content Note
Manuscripts, materials relating to HansKohn's professional experience, materials relating to his political activities, correspondence, diaries, materials relating to his experience in World War I and as a prisoner of war, personal documents, photos, clippings.
- Creation: 1866-1972
Language of Materials
This collection is in English, German, French, Russian, Czech, Hebrew, Italian, Ladino, Yiddish, Spanish, Arabic, and Dutch.
Open to researchers.
There may be some restrictions on the use of the collection. For more information, contact:
Leo Baeck Institute, Center for Jewish History, 15 West 16th Street, New York, NY 10011
Born in Prague on September 15, 1891, Hans Kohn was active in Zionist student organizations. He received a Doctor of Law degree from the German University in Prague. In World War I, he became a prisoner of war and was interned in Samarkand and Khaborovsk, Krasnoyarsk and Irkutsk in Siberia / Soviet Union until 1920. In the following years he lived in Paris and London, working for Zionist organizations and publishing numerous books and articles. In 1921 he married Jetty Wahl. In 1925 they moved to Palestine, where he worked for Karen Hayesod until 1929. After traveling repeatedly to the United States, Hans Kohn left Palestine and in 1934 started teaching Modern History at Smith College in Northampton, Massachusetts. From 1949 until 1961, he taught at City College of New York. Kohn also taught at the New School for Social Research and at Harvard Summer School. He published extensively on questions of Nationalism and related topics. He died in 1971 in Philadelphia.
8 Cubic Feet ((8 boxes); 1 oversized box)
Papers of Hans Kohn (1891-1971), historian and lawyer, who was active in Zionist organizations. He published extensively on questions of nationalism and related topics. The collection consists of documents relating to Hans Kohn's professional experience, materials relating to his political activities, correspondence, diaries, materials relating to his experience in World War I and as a prisoner of war, personal documents, photos, clippings.
This collection has been organized in 11 series.
- Series 0: Inventories, Notes, Genealogical information, undated
- Series I: Manuscripts, undated, 1912-1964
- Series II: Materials related to his professional experience, 1923-1967
- Series III: Materials related to his political activities, 1919-1961
- Series IV: Correspondence, 1908-1962
- Series V: Diaries, 1924-1959
- Series VI: Materials related to his experience in World War I and as a prisoner of war, 1912-1920
- Series VII: Personal documents, 1890-1972
- Series VIII: Clippings, 1866-1965
- Series IX: Miscellaneous, 1866 - 1940
- Series X: Oversize, 1913 - 1956
- Series XI: Photographs, 1900-1960
The collection is on 26 reels of microfilm (MF 493).
- Reel 1: 1/1 - 1/12
- Reel 2: 1/13 - 1/24
- Reel 3: 1/25 - 1/39
- Reel 4: 1/40 - 2/6
- Reel 5: 2/7 - 2/15
- Reel 6: 2/16 - 2/23
- Reel 7: 2/24 - 3/7
- Reel 8: 3/8 - 3/15
- Reel 9: 3/16 - 3/27
- Reel 10: 3/28 - 3/37
- Reel 11: 4/1 - 4/14
- Reel 12: 4/15 - 4/28
- Reel 13: 4/29 - 4/40
- Reel 14: 4/41 - 4/46
- Reel 15: 4/47 - 5/9
- Reel 16: 5/10 - 5/24
- Reel 17: 5/25 - 5/26
- Reel 18: 5/27 - 5/28
- Reel 19: 5/29 - 6/1
- Reel 20: 6/2 - 6/4
- Reel 21: 6/5 - 6/10
- Reel 22: 6/11 - 6/27
- Reel 23: 6/28 - 7/20
- Reel 24: 7/21 - 7/37
- Reel 25: 7/38 - 8/3
- Reel 26: 8/4 - 8/26; OS 27
250 photos were separated from this collection and are now part of the Photograph Collection. Digital images have been generated for the Photograph Database at the Leo Baeck Institute.
- Kohn, Hans, 1891-1971 (Person)
- Kohn, Jetty (Person)
- Weltsch, Robert (Person)
- City University of New York. City College (Organization)
- International Conference of Revolutionary Socialist Parties (Organization)
- War Resisters' International. Conference (Organization)
- New School for Social Research (New York, N.Y. : 1919-1997) (Organization)
- Smith College (Organization)
- World Zionist Organization (Organization)
- Keren Hayesod (Organization)
- Irkutsk (Russia)
- Khabarovsk (Russia)
- Krasnoi︠a︡rsk (Russia)
- London (England)
- New York (N.Y.)
- Northampton (Mass.)
- Palestine -- Emigration and immigration
- Paris (France)
- Prague (Czech Republic)
- Samarqand (Uzbekistan)
- United States -- Emigration and immigration -- History -- 20th century
- Guide to the Hans Kohn Collection, 1866-1972 AR 259 / MF 493
- Processed by Maria Baader
- © December 2000.
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Description is in English.
- Edition statement
- This version was derived from HansKohn02.xml
- September 2004.: Converted to ead 2002. Revised as HansKohn02.xml by Dianne Ritchey Oummia. Removed deprecated elements and attributes, updated repository codes, added language codes, changed doctype declaration, etc.
- January 2006.: Entities removed from EAD finding aid.
- October 2008.: Microfilm inventory added.
- 2010-04-04: Series XI: Photographs that contain links to digitized images were added.
- 2010-05-18 : Encoding of linking to digital objects from finding aid was changed from "extref" to "dao" through dao_conv.xsl
- 2014-11-13 : Corrected links to digital objects in Series V (in Container List).