Jung-Juedischer Club Collection
Scope and Content Note
The Jung-Juedischer Club Collection allows for a close inspection of a bourgeois Jewish association in late 1920s Germany. It sheds light on the organizational and the programmatic contours as well as on the internal processes of decision making.
The collection is arranged in two series. Series I contains the club's organizational and internal documents. The organizational documents are: public announcements sent to Jewish newspapers in Leipzig, invoices and the club's bylaws. While these documents provide comprehensive insights into the club's organizational structure, the internal documents shed light on the decision finding processes at the club’s monthly meetings, the quarrels about its programmatic direction and further processes that are of interest to social and cultural historians alike. The internal documents are predominantly handwritten minutes of the monthly meetings, but also some documents about the club's programs and study groups.
Series II comprises the club's correspondence. Invitations sent to various famous people of Weimar Germany, e.g. Stefan Zweig, Martin Buber and others, allow a glance at the club's programmatic orientation; the remainder of the correspondence provides insights into the process of applying for membership.
- Grubel, Fred (Person)
Language of Materials
The collection is mainly in German.
Open to researchers.
Collection is digitized. Follow the links in the Container List to access the digitized materials.
There may be some restrictions on the use of the collection. For more information, contact:
Leo Baeck Institute, Center for Jewish History, 15 West 16th Street, New York, NY 10011
The Jung-Juedische Club was a social club for young men between 18 and 24. It was founded on May 23rd, 1928, in Leipzig, and its bylaws were passed by the members on June 30th, 1928. While the bylaws stated that no more than 40 young men could be full members, the club never even reached that number. According to a survey from 1929, the club then had 24 members. The attendance lists in this collection indicate that the club had about 20 members on average. The club resided in rooms rented from the Zionistische Vereinigung (the Zionist Association), Leipzig.
The club's purpose was to further intellectual education of its members through exchanges of ideas and lectures with a particular focus on Jewish interests. Contrary to the contemporary mens sana in corpore sano paradigm of the German Youth Movement in the first third of the 20th century, the club put emphasis solely on intellectual – not physical – education.
Its programmatic tendency rested mainly on three pillars: literature, debating-culture and politics. The club organized its programs in workshops and the participation in at least one workshop per semester was obligatory. In the club's reader circle, interested persons discussed the works of Heinrich Heine, Erich Maria Remarque and others. The debating club was organized in the manner of English Public Schools and Oxbridge Universities and the young men discussed issues such as female empowerment, Jewish assimilation or the death penalty. In its political workshops, the club's members informed each other about the current developments in different countries, e.g. the U.S.A., Great Britain or Russia.
The Jung-Juedische Club was affiliated to the Zionistische Vereinigung Leipzig (the Zionist Association Leipzig). It was generally well connected within the Jewish community of Leipzig and held close contact to organizations such as the Kadimah and the Zionistische Studentengruppe (the Zionist Student Organization). In 1929, the club joined the Juedische Jugendring Leipzig. This organization was founded in 1928 as a subsection of the Reichsausschuss der juedischen Jugendverbaende (Association of Jewish Youth Organizations), founded in Berlin in 1924. Within the Juedische Jugendring, whose goal was balancing the various directions Jewish juveniles were headed, the Jung-Juedische Club was in charge of organizing the Jugendring's public lectures. Fritz Gruebel (Fred Grubel), one of the founding members of the club became its representative in the Jugendring. As a member of the Jugendring, Gruebel focused strongly on creating a Haus der juedischen Jugend (House of Jewish Youth). The Jung-Juedische Club thus became one of the founding organizations of a club called Das Haus der juedischen Jugend, whose purpose was the funding of the house.
Although it was affiliated to the Zionistische Vereinigung, the Jung-Juedische Club stressed its political and ideological heterogeneity and autonomy up until the 1930s. In summer 1930, the club decided to accept Zionism as its main orientation, probably to win new members. One member, i.e. Fritz Gruebel, left the club due to this change. Although it is certain that the club still existed in 1932, since it is mentioned in the Juedisches Jahrbuch fuer Sachsen 1931-1932, its further development up until the prohibition of Jewish youth organizations in 1939 is uncertain.
0.25 Linear Feet
The collection contains documents and correspondence related to the Jung-Juedischer Club from Leipzig. Prominent topics in this collection are the organizational structures of the club, its activities and membership. The collection comprises organizational documents, such as bylaws, a vast amount of minutes from the Club's monthly meetings and an ample amount of correspondence to and from the club.
The collection is arranged in two series:
- Bar Kokhva (Organization : Leipzig)
- Bylaws (administrative records)
- Carlebach, Esriel, 1908-1956
- Grubel, Fred
- Jews -- Germany
- Jews -- Germany -- Intellectual life
- Juedischer Jugendring, Leipzig
- Jung Juedischer Wanderbund, Leipzig
- Jung-Jüdischer Club.
- Kadimah, Leipzig
- Katzenstein, Lotti
- Leipzig (Germany)
- Minutes (administrative records)
- Oesterreicher, Hans
- Tolziner, Philipp
- Verband der Jüdischen Jugendvereine Deutschlands
- Youth movements -- Germany
- Youth movements -- Germany -- History -- 20th century
- Zionistische Studentengruppe, Leipzig
- Zionistische Vereinigung für Deutschland
- Zweig, Stefan, 1881-1942
- Guide to the Records of the Jung-Juedischer Club 1928-1930 AR 7126
- Processed by Joern Esch
- © 2012
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Description is in English.
- Edition statement
- This version was derived from Jung-JuedischerClub.xml
- July 08, 2014 : Links to digital objects added in Container List.
Part of the Leo Baeck Institute Repository
15 West 16th Street
New York NY 10011 United States