Melinda Guttmann Collection
Scope and Content Note
The Melinda Guttmann Collection is principally a research collection, holding papers assembled during the creation of Melinda Guttmann's works on Bertha Pappenheim. The collection includes documentation produced by Melinda Guttmann on Bertha Pappenheim as well as a considerable amount of articles on Bertha Pappenheim and related topics. In addition, there are also translations of the writing of Bertha Pappenheim.
The collection holds only a small amount of material on Melinda Guttmann herself. Such papers comprise Series I and include a few letters and résumés.
Melinda Guttmann's works on Bertha Pappenheim are located in Series II: Works. Such productions include a few short articles on Pappenheim, a one-woman performance piece entitled Anna O.'s Private Theatre, and a book called The Enigma of Anna O.. Material on the creation of these works includes correspondence with publishers, editors, and translators, funding proposals, and contracts. A script and stage notes are available for Anna O.'s Private Theatre, and the documentation related to The Enigma of Anna O. includes several drafts of the book's manuscript as well as notes, outlines, and comments by others on revisions.
Although a small amount of notes and research summaries will be found among the papers of Series II, the majority of collected research will be found in Series III: Research. The papers of this series include translations into English of Bertha Pappenheim's writing as well as a large collection of articles on Bertha Pappenheim and related articles that provide a context for looking at her life, such as articles on Jewish and German history, psychoanalysis, feminism, and women's history. Additional research on Bertha Pappenheim includes the video interviews of Series IV, which includes discussions with individuals who knew Bertha Pappenheim.
- Majority of material found within 1985-2000
- Guttmann, Melinda Given, 1944- (Person)
Language of Materials
The collection is in English, German, and a small amount of French.
Open to researchers.
Collection is digitized. Follow the links in the Container List to access the digitized materials.
There may be some restrictions on the use of the collection. For more information, contact:
Leo Baeck Institute, Center for Jewish History, 15 West 16th Street, New York, NY 10011
Melinda Guttmann was a member of the faculty of the John Jay College of Criminal Justice, CUNY for a number of years, where she taught in the Department of Speech, Theatre, and Media Studies. Her performance "Anna O.'s Private Theatre" was shown with lectures internationally, and she has published several articles on Bertha Pappenheim. Other publications include many reviews of performances, as well as a number of articles and performances on nuclear disasters.
3.75 Linear Feet
This collection contains the research files of Melinda Guttmann on Bertha Pappenheim, also known as "Anna O." It is primarily comprised of documentation of Melinda Guttmann's work on Bertha Pappenheim as well as extensive accumulated research on her, most of which has been translated into English. Included are Melinda Guttmann's manuscripts and notes, as well as copies of many articles on Bertha Pappenheim and the culture and time in which she lived.
The collection is arranged in four series in the following manner:
- Series I: Personal, 1984-2001
- Series II: Works, 1882-2000
- Subseries 1: General, 1882-1997
- Subseries 2: Anna O.'s Private Theatre (Performance), 1982-1987
- Subseries 3: The Enigma of Anna O. (Book), 1973-2000
- Series III: Research, 1895-1996
- Subseries 1: Chronological Research Files, 1885-1990s
- Subseries 2: Collected Research Material, 1887-1990
- Subseries 3: Other Research Material, 1976-1996
- Series IV: Video
The collection is on ten reels of microfilm (MF 941):
- Reel 1: 1/1 - 1/29
- Reel 2: 1/30 - 1/50
- Reel 3; 1/51 - 2/4
- Reel 4: 2/5 - 2/31
- Reel 5: 2/32 - 2/47
- Reel 6: 2/48 - 3/14
- Reel 7: 3/15 - 3/30
- Reel 8: 3/31 - 4/1
- Reel 9: 4/2 - 5/7
- Reel 10: 5/8 - 5/18
The videocassettes for this collection have been removed to the Audiovisual Collection.
Superfluous unmarked copies of books and articles have been removed from the collection.
- Clippings (information artifacts)
- Feminism -- Religious aspects -- Judaism
- German language -- Translating into English
- Germany -- History -- 20th century
- Guttmann, Melinda Given, 1944-
- Jewish women
- Jewish women -- Biography
- Jews -- Persecutions
- Jüdischer Frauenbund
- Manuscripts (documents)
- Neu-Isenburg (Germany)
- Notes (documents)
- Pappenheim, Bertha, 1859-1936
- Psychoanalysis -- History
- Women in charitable work
- Guide to the Papers of Melinda Guttmann (1944-2010) 1885-2001 AR 25295 / MF 941
- Processed by Dianne Ritchey Oummia and Anne-Kathrin Distler
- © 2008
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Description is in English.
- Edition statement
- This version was derived from MelindaGuttmann.xml
- January 2009.: Microfilm inventory added.
- October 29, 2013 : Links to digital objects added in Container List.