Harold W. Fox Collection
Scope and Content Note
This collection reflects Harold W. Fox’s career as a professor of economics, business, and marketing. The bulk of the collection consists of the extensive amount of publications written by Harold W. Fox for trade and scholarly journals and conferences between the 1950s and 1990s. The unpublished materials included in the collection consist of conference programs, teaching materials, typed manuscripts, abstracts, booklets and a certificate from an academic club, and limited correspondence.
- Creation: 1958-2003
Language of Materials
The collection is in English, Spanish, and French.
This collection is open to researchers.
Part of the collection is digitized. Follow the links in the Container List to access the digitized materials.
Harold W. Fox (1923-1999) was an entrepreneur, economic consultant, and professor of economics and marketing. Born in Berlin in 1923 to Benno Fuchs and Dora née Mannheim, Harold immigrated to the United States in 1936. He received a BBA cum laude from the City College of New York in 1949, an MBA from Xavier University in 1955, and his PhD from Rutgers University in 1967. Before entering academia, he was a senior analyst at the General Foods Corporation in White Plains, New York.
Over the course of his academic career, he wrote several monographs, contributed to textbooks and encyclopedias, and published widely in academic and trade journals. His publications covered topics including business management, small business, decision-making, marketing strategies, trade stamps, images of women portrayed in advertising, and business education. He taught at Rutgers University, Upsala College (East Orange, NJ), Fairleigh Dickinson University (Teaneck, NJ), Ball State University (Muncie, IN), and Northern Illinois University. He eventually took on a position as a professor of marketing at De Paul University in Chicago, Illinois and then ended his career as a professor at the University of Texas-Pan American in Edinburg, Texas.
6 Linear Feet
This collection reflects Harold W. Fox’s (1923-1999) academic career. The bulk of the collection consists of his publications in trade and scholarly journals. Other materials include conference programs, teaching materials, typed manuscripts, abstracts, and limited correspondence.
Materials were separated into two series by document type.
The following books contain contributions by Harold W. Fox and have been separated to the LBI Library. In cases where Harold Fox is not the listed author, his contribution is indicated in brackets following the citation.
- Butcher, Benjamin C. and James R. MacAnelly. Fundamentals of Retailing. New York: Macmillan, 1973. [named in acknowledgements as a commentator and reviewer].
- Fox, Harold W. “The Financial Analyst in Industry.” Financial Management: Policies and Practices. Francis J. Corrigan and Howard A. Ward, eds. Boston: Houghton Mifflin: 1963. 293-301.
- Fox, Harold W. The Economics of Trading Stamps. Washington, D.C.: Public Affairs Press, 1968.
- Fox, Harold W. “Consumer Affairs.” Encyclopedia Year Book 1973. Edward Humphrey, ed. New York: Grolier, 1973. 160-162.
- Fox, Harold W. “Pricing and Planning.” Readings: Marketing and Society. Ronald R. Gist, ed. 2nd ed. Hinsdale, Illinois: Dryden Press, 1974. 260-263.
- Fox, Harold W. “The Case of the Pulled Plasterboard.” Strategic Advertising Decisions: Selected Readings. Michman, Ronald D. and Donald W. Jugenheimer, eds. Columbus, Ohio: Grid, 1976. 245-254.
- Fox, Harold W. “Sex Stereotypes in Advertisements.” Humanity as a Career: A Holistic Approach to Sex Equity. Gary N. McLean and Jacquelyn S. Crawford, eds. Rehoboth, Massachusetts: Twin Oaks, 1979. 354-362.
- Fox, Harold W. “Quasi-Boards: Useful Small Business Confidants.” Growing Concerns: Building and Managing the Smaller Business. David E. Gumpert, ed. New York: Wiley, 1984. 308-316.
- Fox, Harold W. “Marketing a Financial Service within a Firm.” Marketing for Financial Services. William J. Winston, ed. New York: Haworth, 1986. 133-143.
- Fox, Harold W. “Strategic Planning in Small Firms.” Strategic Planning and Management Handbook. William R. King and David I. Cleland, eds. New York: Van Nostrand Reinhold, 1987. 557-578.
- Haas, Robert. Industrial Marketing Management: Text and Cases. 3rd ed. Boston: Kent Publishing, 1986. [case contributor, also included is the instructor’s manual].
- Haas, Robert. Industrial Marketing Management: Text and Cases. 4th ed. Boston: PWS-Kent Publishing, 1989. [case contributor, also included is the instructor’s manual].
- Kurtz, David L. and Louis E. Boone. Marketing. 2nd ed. Chicago: Dryden Press, 1984. [case contributor].
- Kurtz, David L. and Louis E. Boone. Marketing. 3rd ed. Chicago: Dryden Press, 1987. [case contributor].
- Levene, Malcom E., ed. Handbook for Managers. 21st ed. London: Kluwer-Harrap, 1976. [contributing author].
- Whitney, Simon Newcomb. Economic Principles: Macro. Robert Gaston, ed. Columbus, Ohio: Grid, 1975. [acknowledged as a reviewer].
- Whitney, Simon Newcomb. Economic Principles: Micro. Robert Gaston, ed. Columbus, Ohio: Grid, 1975. [acknowledged as a reviewer].
- Wahl, Juan J. Maluquer and Ramón Nicolau Casellas, eds. Enciclopedia de la mercadotecnia: Mercadotecnia de bienes de consumo. Barcelona : Ediciones Nauta, 1979. [contributing author].
- Wahl, Juan J. Maluquer and Ramón Nicolau Casellas, eds. Enciclopedia de la mercadotecnia: Mercadotecnia de productos industriales. Barcelona : Ediciones Nauta, 1979. [contributing author].
- Wahl, Juan J. Maluquer and Ramón Nicolau Casellas, eds. Enciclopedia de la mercadotecnia: Planificacion y direccion de la mercadotecnia. Barcelona : Ediciones Nauta, 1979. [contributing author].
Duplicates were removed. In an effort to separate published materials from archival materials, notes and correspondence were taken out of journals and books and placed in a separate folder in Series I. Notes written on adhesive paper were photocopied, and the adhesive paper originals were removed. The large three-ring binders that held the teaching materials from the American Management Association were also removed, and the materials inside the binders were kept.
- Guide to the Harold W. Fox Collection 1958-2003 AR 25178
- Processed by Leanora Lange
- © 2013
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Description is in English.
- Made possible by the Cataloging Hidden Special Collections and Archives Grant from the Council on Library and Information Resources through The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation to support "Illuminating Hidden Collections at the Center for Jewish History."
- March 2015:: dao links added by Emily Andresini.