Joshua Eli Plaut Family Collection
Scope and Contents
Various materials pertaining mainly to Joshua Plaut’s father, Rabbi Walter H. Plaut, and to Joshua Plaut’s grandfather, Rabbi Jonas Plaut. In addition there are 11 homemade videos of reunions and celebrations of various members of the Plaut family. Included in the collection's addenda is also some family correspondence of Rabbi Walter Plaut and Hadassah Yanich Plaut, as well as some genealogical research into ancestors of the Yanich family.
- Plaut, Joshua Eli (Person)
Language of Materials
The collection is in English and German.
Open to researchers.
Collection is digitized. Follow the links in the Container List to access the digitized materials.
Readers may access the collection by visiting the Lillian Goldman Reading Room at the Center for Jewish History. We recommend reserving the collection in advance; please visit the LBI Online Catalog and click on the "Request" button.
There may be some restrictions on the use of the collection. For more information, contact:
Leo Baeck Institute, Center for Jewish History, 15 West 16th Street, New York, NY, 10011
The Auerbach’sche Waisen-Erziehungs-Anstalten fuer Juedische Knaben und Maedchen in Berlin was founded in 1833.
Jonas Plaut (born 1880 in Willingshausen/Hesse, died 1948 in Fargo/USA) was the director of the Baruch-Auerbachsche orphan asylum in Berlin between 1922 and 1939. He emigrated with his wife Selma to England in 1939 and to the USA in 1945. They had two sons: Walter, who became the rabbi of a synagogue in in Long Island, NY, and Guenther, who became a rabbi in Toronto. Joshua E. Plaut is Walter Plaut’s son; in 2002 he was – among other positions - director of the Center for Jewish History.
2.5 Linear Feet
Various materials pertaining mainly to Joshua Plaut’s father, Rabbi Walter H. Plaut, and to Joshua Plaut’s grandfather, Rabbi Jonas Plaut. In addition there are 11 homemade videos of reunions and celebrations of various members of the Plaut family. Included is also some family correspondence of Rabbi Walter Plaut and Hadassah Yanich Plaut, as well as some genealogical research into ancestors of the Yanich family.
This collection is arranged in 3 series.
- Series I: Sermons, articles, and correspondence by Rabbi Walter Plaut
- Series II: Jonas Plaut and the Baruch Auerbach'sche Waisenhaus
- Series III: Joshua Eli Plaut's family
- Series IV: Addenda, 1911-1919, 1937-2010
- Subseries 1: Walter and Hadassah Plaut, 1937-1971, 2010
- Subseries 2: Genealogical and Historical Research, 1911-1919, 1977-2010
Collection is available on 3 reels of microfilm (MF 1036).
- Reel 1: 1/1 - 1/19
- Reel 2: 1/20 - 2/4
- Reel 3: 2/5 - 2/7
- Archival materials
- Bar mitzvah
- Baruch-Auerbach'sche Waisen-Erziehungs-Anstalten für Jüdische Knaben und Mädchen (Berlin)
- Children of rabbis
- Plaut, Hadassah, 1921-2003
- Plaut, Jonas, 1880-1948
- Plaut, Joshua Eli
- Plaut, Selma, 1890-1993
- Plaut, Walter H., 1919-1964
- Temple Emanuel (Great Neck, N.Y.)
- Guide to the Papers of the Joshua Eli Plaut Family, 1911-2010 AR 25384 / MF 1036
- Processed by LBI Staff
- © 2010
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Description is in English.
- November 30, 2012.: Box of addenda added to existing EAD finding aid.
- February 2013: Links to digital objects added in Container List.
Part of the Leo Baeck Institute Repository
15 West 16th Street
New York NY 10011 United States